Start by marking “Home Again” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  20,751 ratings  ·  1,064 reviews
Madelaine Hillyard is a world-famous heart surgeon at the top of her game. Her personal life is far less successful. A loving but overworked single mom, she is constantly at odds with her teenage daughter. At sixteen, Lina is confused, angry, and fast becoming a stranger to her mother—a rebel desperate to find the father who walked away before she was born. Complicating ...more
Published October 30th 1996 by Ballantine Books

·  20,751 ratings  ·  1,064 reviews

Start your review of Home Again
Beccalarge
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Uggg....Kristin Hannah. I thought I would give her another chance. I have read books by her that have drawn me in, that have been well written and beautiful (Firefly Lane, Winter Garden), books that made me think she could really write.

And then I read books written by her that made me cringe a little and think of a bad, overly sappy Lifetime movie. But this one? This book? I couldn't even finish it. And I NEVER stop reading a book once I start (unless it gets so vulgar I can't keep reading). But
Annika
Jun 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
About 1/3 of the way into this book, I predicted it. I stuck with it, because it's not a terrible story (I've read waaaay worse), but it's so fluffy and cheesy that it's almost painful to read. And I was right, the author didn't surprise me with some snappy twist ala Jodi Picoult. She just finished her merry little story. I'm glad I don't cry easily.

Angel Demarco is this world famous actor, nominated for an Oscar, but he keeps saying he's not that great of an actor. He causes mass riots and
Miz
This book was exactly what I needed to read. Little did I know when I started it that I would devour it in under 24 hours, and at times my face would be damp from tears that unwittingly fell onto the screen of my ebook.

By page 20 I knew what was going to happen, but the foreshadowing didn’t lessen the impact of what came next. The characters were so rich that I felt genuine warmth for them all and loved their character development. The one upset for me, and it’s very minor, is that I didn’t
Angel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually a big fan of Kristin Hannah, but Home Again just didn't do it for me. The idea of the book seemed promising, but Kristin Hannah just didn't deliver. The whole story of the heart surgery and the family dramas just didn't seem real to me. How am I supposed to believe that you would still fall in love with the same man who broke your heart so many years ago? Sure, people should be allowed second chances, but forgiving someone for running out of your life without as much saying goodbye ...more
Chana Snyder
Dec 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
OMG, no. Full stop. I got through about a third of this book before I lost my patience and dropped it to the floor. A few things I'm glad for: 1) that I didn't pay for the book; 2) that I don't live (or know anyone who does) in the emotionally warped world that the author's constructed here. What a train wreck!

Has any of these characters matured at all during the course of their adult lives? Why does that seem like such an unreasonable request? What really dropped my jaw was when another
Leslie
Cindy Kubley
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whimsical

This is a whimsical story of an odd pairing. A cardiologist and a priest are best friends. A sick patient links them even more together. This is the story of old friends and new beginnings. A fairly easy read that leaves you feeling good in the end.
Erin J
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book I read of Kristin Hannah’s just gets better and better. How have I never read her book before? I can’t put these books down!!
Janine
Sep 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Cheesy, cliche, predictable, characters that are caricature dripping with over-wrought writing. This was like a bad Hallmark/Lifetime movie of the week. I actually laughed out loud (not in a good way) at sections of the dialogue that were so absurd. If I had a nickle for every time a character touched another character's face (because THAT happens all the time in real life!) or was "suddenly" transported back to a past memory....sheesh!

Normally I save 1-star ratings for books that are so
Amy
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, fiction
This was the first Kristin Hannah book that really let me down. I think this could have been a much better book than it was, the story arch was great, but the characters were flat and transparent. i also found myself disliking the whiny nature of every character in this book. is it possible for every character in a story to be this boring and irritating?
i've read worse, but i have also read better. this book gets 3 stars for the mediocrity of everything between the front and back covers. some
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a heart transplant patient who finds himself back in his own home town, and not by choice. It is a place filled with memories and people he never expected to see again. His selfish lifestyle has damaged those who loved him and the child he never knew existed.

The question here is, can people change, and can broken hearts heal?

There is a lot of substance in this story and, as is her custom, Kristin Hannah hits at the very core of the emotions, weaving a novel which is both
Susana Guerra
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gina
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

5 / 5

Kristin Hannah does it again! Another wonderful story filled with hope & love. The story was wrapped in a very neat & tidy little package. Some might say, a little too good to be true but I was more than fine with that.

In true Kristin Hannah form, this is another "grab the Kleenex!" story. Her characters are so well developed (I adored Francis in this book) and you will most certainly feel their hurt, feel their loss, want to give them a hug and then cheer them on. I
Kristin Bateman
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was the first time Kristin Hannah ever disappointed me so much I almost gave up on the book.

It's blatant that the book was one of her earlier novels because the characters were so thinly veiled, the plot was so see-through that it was liking reading a slice of Swiss cheese, and I was groaning at the constant cliches. It was like reading a Hallmark movie.

If you fell in love with Kristin Hannah's later works like "Firefly Lane," "Winter Garden," or "The Nightingale" and are trying on
Tanya
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. I don't think I've enjoyed a book more in the past year or so as much as I did this book! I started to need the Kleenex close to half way into the book and went through about 3 boxes! It's a great book that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in the inside! GREAT BOOK! =)
Liza Wiemer
An enjoyable story of family, forgiveness, redemption and second chances. I love getting lost in a Kristin Hannah novel.
sue
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love all of this authors books. This story goes way beyond being a good read! Its really a page turner and you defo need your hankies
Ceshia
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The story plot was very predictable. Good, easy read.
Susan Haught
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who says you can't go home?

I'm a KH fan and have enjoyed working my way through her novels.

Although I love her writing style and she hasn't failed me yet, this one was predictable from the beginning which made it a little harder to stick with.

That said, I would still recommend it for anyone who wants an emotional, well-written story that deals with love, friendship, redemption, and second chances. Hannah's stories are layered and deal with sensitive issues that tug on your heartstrings.

Easy,
Meital Ben-Daniel
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-saga
A beautiful novel by one of my favorite authors - Kristin Hannah.
The book delves into relationships, lost and found, intertwined with the complex relationship of Madelaine, a working single mom and a troubled teenage-daughter, Lina.
Lots of ups and downs tinged with many little surprises in the plot.
I couldn't put it down !!! A special place in my heart for this one ! Thanks Kristin Hannah! Keep writing....
Mk
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Kristin Hannah and I are having a love-hate relationship. This was the hate. But then I later realised it was also written in the 90's and maybe that's why it read as a cliche after cliche.
It was a bit too poetic for me for real life is never that seamless. It feels like everyone is going through these major problems but the actual things that are potentially huge mean nothing. But then I didn't want to quit on this like Mystic Lake so I read through but meh. Onto Winter Garden then.
Bethany
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
KH is always a good read for me. This one was quick and less emotional than most, but I still found it leading me to deep contemplation. The romantic interest reminded me of how many of us try so hard to refuse good things for our own selfish reasons fueled by pride. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they’re too bad to be redeemed. We don’t deserve redemption and that is the rub, but it is so sweet and transformational. KH also nailed the teenage girl and how parenting feels like ...more
Tanya Feke
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kristin Hannah has a way with relationships. The twists, the turns, the pain, the regret. She also knows the highs and lows and all around joy and angst of what it means to love. When a high-profile celebrity faces his own mortality and a heart transplant, he returns home to the loved ones he left behind. Amidst the turmoil, he has to find, no pun, the heart to forgive himself, the courage to make amends, and the hope for a better future.
Judy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Asha Viguurs
I've read this book before but I have to admit: I thought it was better. Or maybe I've changed in the meantime. It's ok but a bit cheesy at times. So 3 stars.
Lydia
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Fast read. Deeply cliché. I need a break from this author.
Kelly  Seifert
Shelves: fiction
Pretty sappy.
Jill Wallace
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet book but very predictable. Quick read!
Linda K. Melzer
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, heartwarming novel.

First let me say that Kristen Hannah is one of my favorite writers. This is such a touching novel that once I even cried. The characters are so human and filled with emotion. The storyline is realistic. It is filled with life changing scenarios. The only criticism I have is that it seems a bit disjointed which was disappointing. Altogether though I highly recommend it.

• Dona Filipa e Dom João I
  • The Giver of Stars
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Beachcombers
  • Every Breath
  • Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Silent Night
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Mrs. Everything
Kristin Hannah is the award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including the international blockbuster, The Nightingale, which was named Goodreads Best Historical fiction novel for 2015 and won the coveted People's Choice award for best fiction in the same year. Additionally, it was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon, iTunes, Buzzfeed, the Wall Street Journal, Paste, and ...more
“Love meant always being a little afraid.” 6 likes
“But it had gotten so boring, all that crying and wanting and needing. This year she'd realized that she'd never be like her mom, and the realization had freed her. She stopped trying to get good grades and make good friends, and do everything well. She had flourished in her rebellion, reveled in it.” 5 likes