Start by marking “Wealth and Poverty” as Want to Read:
Wealth and Poverty

Wealth and Poverty

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In this acclaimed work, Gilder offers an illuminating discussion of how to increase wealth and curtail poverty, arguing that most welfare programs only serve to keep the poor in poverty as victims of welfare dependency.
Published January 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (first published May 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Wealth and Poverty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wealth and Poverty

Phil
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: high school students
This is one of the most solid conservative books ever written. Gilder explains the psychology of wealth and that of poverty. He explains the damage that government poverty programs have done to their recipients and why. Because Gilder goes much deeper than any topical description of where things were when he wrote the book this book is still very relevant. This goes to the basis of how some people can rise from poverty and how others can slide from wealth into poverty. The same is true of entire ...more
Maynard James Keller
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to buy into it or be "converted" - but approach with a semi-open mind and you'll find some provocatively challenging thought here. No political philosophy or economic theory has a monopoly on truth or wisdom.

The world and we are much complicated to be encompassed by any single schema. And note that much of what we call the "left" and "right" have existed since the beginning of human economic societies. There are reasons of balancing each other out involved.

Anyway, Gilder's a uniq
Michal Leah
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow. Wow. That is all I can say. This book was devoid of any facts, data, studies. If you enjoy generalizations, assumptions, conjectures, then this is the book for you. If you prefer to look at evidence in order to arrive at a conclusion, there is not one iota of evidence in this book. I read this to try and learn the conservative point of view - I really hope there are better books out there or I will wonder if conservative thinking is based on anything other than what comes out of people's as ...more
April
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
I walked away with 2 important impressions. The chapter dealing with taxes on capital gains was illuminating, and the argument that supply creates its own demand is still mulling around in my mind. It's a roller coaster ride for sure. One minute it's interesting, the next boring, then obnoxious, and occasionally truly enlightening. Though dated, it stands up as a classic conservative text.
Danmcgohan
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mr, Gilder dismisses the controlling economic policies of the Left, offers instead an American vision of a free economy and a prosperous society resting on the pillars of work, faith, and family. Some areas were difficult to follow but overall very understandable.
Douglas Wilson
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Right up there.
Seth
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A full-throated moral, philosophical, and practical defense of capitalism. Rather than advocate with reluctance for capitalism, granting critics' charges of its excesses and a supposed foundation of greed, Gilder shows that only a capitalist system will bring true prosperity and growth to all levels of a society.

Gilder argues that the most important element of capitalistic growth and success is the entrepreneur, the person who puts up capital in risky ventures in the hope of a payout. These risk
Scott Pierce
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentary, finance
Gilder has always been one of the smartest guys around and one of the best at explaining how we create wealth, and how that wealth can alleviate poverty. He believes that there is a mutuality of gain from trade, and that what benefits one party in the economy will often have side benefits for others.

Say's Law says that supply creates it's own demand - we don't really ask for something that we want in our lives, but we react when something is created that we then decide we could use. (whereas Soc
Tadas Talaikis
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Plane f*cking crazy Reaganomics. Stopped listening after sixth chapter.

There are a lot of well known, good points, like you need to move in order to make. Author just forgets that simply repeating something doesn't make it true. Mots conservatives just can't process new information, and as a consequence they (as everyone else) only look for confirmations of their beliefs.

Note the word "belief". I can believe some new Lenin will create communism, but that doesn't make it true. Not because I'm wea
Joel Zartman
I don’t know why I should go for a book on economics of all things. I am working in a financial services company now, and part of getting ahead there is knowing something about the whole shebang. I saw the Uncommon Knowledge interview with Gilder and found it compelling enough to get to the book, but I am still not sure what it was made me want to read about the dismal science to begin with.

What I found is a book that I’d compare in its effect on me with Collingwood’s The Idea of History. Wealth
Tom
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I understand this was an important exposition of supply-side economics in the early 1980s and that it influenced Reagan. Heavily influenced by then-recent economically stagnant conditions, it pins the blame for economic problems firmly on government overreach, specifically noting how the government has screwed up the housing market, distorted incentives through tax policy, created regulatory burdens, etc. It's interesting reading in light of recent history; how things change, how they stay the s ...more
Thomas Simpson
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute rubbish conservative dogma. If this is supposed to be one of the more "intellectual" justifications of supply side economics it's a miserable failure. Not only are the book's economic data woefully outdated, given that it was written in the early 1980s, Gilder's preening about minorities, singles, women, etc. and how they need strong male breadwinners/strong traditional families just rubbish.
Sally
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may not agree with everything George Gilder believes, but he is thought provoking and challenges many progressive beliefs. Although relatively easy to read and understand, he is a world class economist after all, and you have to work a little to get through this. I promise that if you do, you will come away much better informed about past, recent and future economic drivers.
Chuck Russo
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent book, by a true master of the English language. Gilder will challenge your vocabulary, so get the thesaurus or dictionary out... This is a must read for anyone interested in the ideas behind "supply side economics", or just interested in economics.
Samuel
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, should be read by anyone who thinks economics don't matter.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
Here is an abstract of the book in my scribd shelf: http://bit.ly/15HunOu
Andres Treviño
Must read for conservative thought
Gary Morris
Eye opening and something to come back to often.
Tai Tai
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I could only agree with 35% of this republican/conservative bible
Craig Fiebig
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A singularly important work on the development of economic thought. Prescient when written in 1982. Re-reading it today is a sad commentary on our inability to learn.
Mike
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: economic aficienados
Shelves: business
Just paged through this one again and still has relevance. Different world views of "progressives", i.e. liberals and conservatives are just as stark now as ever.
Michelle
Jay is making me read this over the summer as a challenge and to prove i am open-minded. (ugh)
Ruth Ann
"The key error of socialism is its attempt to guarantee the value of things but not the ownership of them."
Bryan
Brilliant! This book is an amazing look at economics and the factors that affect productivity and economies in both positive and negative ways.
Peter
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this many moons ago. It among others made me think, and explore ergo the youth matures into a free-market thinker.
David Einav
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very conservative book. Lists all the ways that government does NOT work. In the tradition of Hiek.
Stanley Arthur
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
His financially conservative concepts are proving to be more relative with the passing of each day.
Daniel Bohorquez
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • Knowledge And Decisions
  • The Way the World Works (Gateway Contemporary)
  • The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
  • Indivisible: Restoring Faith, Family, and Freedom Before It's Too Late
  • The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure: Why Pure Capitalism Is the World Economy's Only Hope
  • Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior Is Changing Everything
  • Ideas Have Consequences
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America
  • Idols for Destruction: The Conflict of Christian Faith and American Culture
  • Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government

“The risk-bearing role of the rich cannot be performed so well by anyone else. The benefits of capitalism still depend on capitalists. The other groups on the pyramid of wealth should occasionally turn from the spectacles of consumption long enough to see the adventure on the frontiers of the economy above them - an adventure not without its note of nobility...” 0 likes