Start by marking “Refuge” as Want to Read:
Refuge

Refuge

Like Herley's "The Penal Colony", this is a thriller set in the near future.

It is twelve years on from a global plague. John Suter believes himself the sole survivor. He has gradually come to terms with his fate and has settled into a steady and self-reliant daily routine.

One morning he finds a mutilated body in the river near his house. In his terror, Suter knows he has n
ebook
Published February 13th 2010 by Richard Herley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Refuge

Rick Brindle
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a powerful, visceral great big bundle of tension. Humanity has been largely eradicated by a plague, and only a very few survivors are left. John Suter is one, thinking himself alone until he discovers a body that has been clearly murdered. He goes to investigate, and is caught in between a peaceful village brigands who terrorise them.
On paper, almost like a literary, British version of Mad Max.
I actually did think that the theology and some descriptions were perhaps over done, but Richar
Stuart
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, sci-fi
This is a cracking read. I only have time to read a chapter or so at a time and always looked forward to reading the next bit. Extremely well written, I thought, very graphic in places, but not excessively so. Good immersive story. This is my second Herley novel, the first was the 'Penal Colony' which was also very good. I recognised the style from this one.
If I had to nit pick, I would have liked the story to have started about 15 years earlier before the plague so that we could get a sense of
Howard
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of things that niggled me a little with this book, the first of those being the length. It felt too short although the story was wrapped up nicely and felt as if it had been ended well I thought that there should’ve been some more preamble before John discovered the body floating in the river. For me it would’ve been nice to be eased into the world of John Suter a little, to get to know the isolated mundane existence that he had come to call his life. If there had been forty ...more
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel had an intriguing description, and I was ready to start reading this one on my first day of vacation as I have been on the science fiction "end of the world" genre lately. The book description was subsequently changed in order to reflect its true content.

Needless to say, I quit reading it at the Kindle's 5% mark because it was just too disgusting. I do not consider myself a prude in the slightest, but the author seems to have a fascination of describing men sodomizing each other as we
Benjamin Duffy
When this novel first came to my attention, I was excited, since Richard Herley had already authored one of my favorite books, the outstanding The Penal Colony. Then, when I read the blurb and realized what Refuge was about, I admit my excitement faltered a bit. I felt the post-apocalyptic, I'm-the-last-man-on-Earth survival milieu had already been pretty well strip-mined in a hundred works ranging from I Am Legend to Children of Men to The Stand, and I thought it would be difficult for an autho ...more
Clayton
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book, well-written. Maybe a bit heavy on the violence and homo-eroticism for some, but it is integral to the story.

Update: In retrospect, I bumped "Refuge" up to five stars. This book has remained in my consciousness like very few do. Both story and character development are outstanding.
Amanda Milburn
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently discovered Richard Herley, and can't believe most of his books are self-published! His male relationships in particular are fantastic. I will continue working my way through his catalogue on e-book.
Ammy
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story line with an interesting look at the possible implication to the human psyche if civilization ended.
Maike
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Awesome story - but I didn't quite like the ending (no worries it is still a very good book).
Cribquilter
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
I really felt that something was missing in this book, although I cannot put my finger on exactly what it was. I felt the ending was not 'GOOD' enough
Shannon
I finished it but it wasn't the greatest.
Steve Cova
May 03, 2016
Kerena Smith
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born in England in 1950 and educated at Watford Boys’ Grammar School and Sussex University, where my interest in natural history led me to read biology; but from my earliest years English had been my “best” subject, and shortly before my final exams I decided to try to become a professional writer. The job of the artist – in whichever medium he or she works – is an important one, since, cons ...more