Start by marking “Feel This Book: An Essential Guide to Self-Empowerment, Spiritual Supremacy, and Sexual Satisfaction” as Want to Read:

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  512 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Shares observations on topics ranging from ways to make money off a spouse, to fidelity, neuroses, sex, and death.
Published April 4th 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published April 27th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Feel This Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feel This Book

Jason Koivu
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I'm afraid I did not feel this.

Almost entirely expendable, Feel This Audiobook by Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo, does manage to draw out a laugh or two. Set up to mimic the self-help genre, replete with mood music, the book is successful at mockery.

Even though I own a hardback version, I intentionally chose to listen to Stiller and Garofalo in order to fully appreciate their other forms of witticism, most commonly sarcasm and irony, which don't always translate as well to the written page (w
Patrick
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-1999-2000
A fake self-help book by the dynamic duo. If Ben Stiller shit in a bucket, I'd be like, "Hey, do you guys want to go check out the new pail of Ben Stiller's poop?"
Karla
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it
I don't remember much about this book, but I do remember laughing outloud a lot. I remember liking it and recommending it to people. so, i say, give it a try. What's not to love about Ben Stiller and/or Janeane Garofalo?
Stacey
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Another book that I read a long time ago. Some parts of it were funny, some were not.
Janeane Garafalo is one of my favorite funny people. I even had the chance to meet her about ten years ago. :)
Taryn
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
i thought this would be better on tape ("Feel This Audiobook") since they read it so you can get a sense of the delivery... but it was really pretty uninteresting.
Erin
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
This was a quick, funny book that reads very much like Stiller and Garofalo's respective comedic routines. So much so, in fact, that while reading Ben's chapters, I couldn't help but hear Derek Zoolander's voice. He's sharp, witty, and appears to have a *huge* grudge against Paul Reiser and his "-hood" books (Couplehood, Babyhood, which I've read and enjoyed).

While reading Janeane's chapters, I envisioned Daria from MTV's show of the same name. I know Janeane didn't do the voice of Daria, but th
Bardin
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book, but frankly, I think Ben Stiller deserves more of the writing credit. I think he wrote roughly 80% of the thing. Plus, his stuff was just, frankly, funnier, and that is no big slight to Jeanine Garafalo, who I am a big fan of. Jeanine had her moments, and some of the quotes (which you can see in Goodreads itself) are hilarious, but Ben Stiller came up with some great ideas including a phony self-help term (that I can't remember) that describes some sort of prayer/poe ...more
Brenna Flood
Jul 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
I love their comedy (i.e. Ben Stiller Show, Mystery Men, etc.), but...

Firstly, I felt like some of the narration read like they were exercising an inside joke between the two of them through their writing. An inside joke where they were discussing how we, the reader, are suckers for buying their book.

Secondly, while I'm one for dark humor and abundant sarcasm, their use of it left the filmy residue of depression. I just felt *sad* for them.

And finally, if you are going spin a comedy yarn using
Charlotte
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Janeane Garofalo and a pretty big fan of Ben Stiller too, but I found this collection of satirical self-help essays to be inconsistent, at times phoned in, and overall less that I expected from these comedic heavy hitters. The most redeeming chapter was a neurotic confession from her about the conflict between a healthy bowel and a healthy love life. But the extent to which I enjoyed it says more about me than the quality of the book. Maybe not a total "skip" but certainly not a ...more
Heather
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out and it was HILARIOUS. So fitting for that time period when Oprah was "queen" of self help book reviews and show topics, stars were talking about their own b.s. enlightenment stories, etc. My favorite part of the book is when Ben talks about his "P.H.A.N.T.O.M."s . The book would most likely not be as funny if someone were to pick it up and read it today unless maybe they are in their late 30's or older. Janine G. has become a crabby old nincompoop since th ...more
Charles Willis
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Life lessons, spiritual guidance, and relationship advice from Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo. Pretty much trading off every other chapter Stiller and Garofalo throw in their two cents on what to make of this stupid life. Like any good "humor" book it's a quick read, but also crucial to a "humor" book, is that is was funny. I laughed more at Stiller's stuff, but that might just be because Janenane Garofalo uses much bigger vocabulary words that I didn't understand.
Ej
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
I don't remember many details ...but I do remember that the book , though not a page turner , was funny enough . It's not meant to be a well written account of the trials and tribulations blah blah blah blah...it's meant to just be off the cuff and sarcastic , which it manages to pull off. Not the best read of your life ...but it's light enough , easy enough to put down , and the layout presented in a manner that makes this a fairly entertaing "potty-time" read (and that's not a BAD thing.)
Bunny
Oct 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-09
When I requested this book from the Ravelry Book RAK, I suspected I would enjoy Janeane's part more than Ben's. If I'd trusted my instincts, I would've skipped Ben's all together.

I should've stuck with that instinct.

Five stars for Janeane's chapters. Ben Stiller has never done anything that makes me a fan of his, and this book is no exception.
Samantha
Aug 01, 2007 rated it liked it
This book is mocking the whole He Said/She Said layout as Stiller and Garofalo alternate writing chapters (the first two are each person's account of how they were set up, got loaded, and got it on). They're funny people and they write some funny stuff but ultimately the book is just kind of ehh. It lacks focus and really suffers because of it.
Damion
This book is two things to me: a portrait of young adults in the disgruntled but optimistic Nineties and a portrait of young adults who are everyone I know right now. The hangover Fastermation is sheer brilliance.
Alan Hoffman
Wanted more. They say the book was originally supposed to be more of a he-said/she-said of an early relationship they had - and there wasn't enough there for them to write about. So it just kind of goes onto various topics.
Meredith
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre, just bizarre. Maybe it would be a better book to read. The layout was very random. It was still funny, some parts very funny, but it was way weird. Oh, and for the record, I heard this on cassette but it wasn't listed with the editions.
j to the muthafuckin R
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Making a mockery of new age groups and pointing out the parasitic intentions of those making money off of all those self-help books has never been as funny as when these 2 who bring the humor you have grown to love to you in book form.
Meganmagdalena
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I was expecting. And I mean that in a good way. If you like Ben & Janeane* and you're in need of a good laugh then I would recommend this book. *If you're not a fan of them you will most likely find this book incredibly annoying.
Lauren
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Very funny. At first attempt, one might think Stiller and Garofalo are writing a serious book, but they're not. Or maybe they are, but in a bitingly backwards sarcastic way that has lent itself to innumerable witty quotes and much snorted laughter.
Dawn
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ok technically I didn't finish reading it but I do love them especially Ben Stiller Interesting to know that at one point they were F*** buddies and she is an alcoholic. Strange book - just like them
Zach Ulibarri
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Considering that Janeane Garofalo is one of my favorite comedians, I was really expecting a lot more from this. It's OK, but what few funny parts exist are spread too few and far between. Fortunately, it is mercifully quite short.
Sarah Pierce
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love Janeane Garofalo. She’s clever and sarcastic and sometimes downright mean. Ben Stiller is OK, I guess. This is a comedic “self-help” book, and while Stiller’s chapters were passable, Garofalo’s chapters were genius and made me laugh out loud several times.
Aaron
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc-nonfiction
Remembering more books I've read (brought on my a reorganization of our book shelves) ... this one is mediocre. I like Stiller and Garafalo. They're smart and funny. But the book falls flat in too many places.
Jason Ruggles
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
While there were a few half smiles that this book produced, it was just mildly amusing. The back and forth between the two writers felt too jarring and the whole spoof on self-help books felt contrived.

A big "meh" for me.
Cen
Mar 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
The rare bits of commedy allowed me to get 2/3 through this book.

I read this after forming an interest in the two authors' commedy styles. I now wish I hadn't read it. I can't look at either of them and not remember this bounded stack of toilet paper.
Missy
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was hilarious, I swear. It's a parody of those stupid self-help/advice and Couplehood-type books that celebrities and comedians publish. This one gives absolutely the worst advice on everything; I mean, they just make the shit up, and it's damn funny. (Thanks again, Lauren.)
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
This one wasn't as good as I would have hoped. I learned that Ben Stiller was a jerk and Janeane Garafalo is very insecure, but she is a far better writer than Ben. I wished it was a little funnier, it would have been easier for me to get through.
Jo
Sep 03, 2014 added it
Shelves: uni-list
I have no memory of reading this, but I love these two.
Laurie
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Umm, not that funny, but some funy parts. I read this awhile ago, so I would be interested to see how I feel about it now.
  • So, You Want to Be Canadian: All About the Most Fascinating People in the World and the Magical Place They Call Home
  • What Would Susie Say?: Bullsh*t Wisdom About Love, Life and Comedy
  • Why I Believed
  • Price of Fame: The Honorable Clare Boothe Luce
  • The Better World Shopping Guide: How Every Dollar Can Make a Difference
  • The Curious Life of Robert Hooke: The Man Who Measured London
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
  • There Are No Accidents: Synchronicity and the Stories of Our Lives
  • Santa Steps Out
  • Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
  • How To Go To Hell
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Buzz: A Year of Paying Attention
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • Afoot and Afield: San Diego County: A Comprehensive Hiking Guide
  • Sylvia, Queen of the Headhunters: An Eccentric Englishwoman and Her Lost Kingdom
  • Getting in the Gap
Benjamin Edward "Ben" Stiller is an Emmy Award-winning American comedian, actor, film producer and director. He is the son of veteran comedians and actors Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. After beginning his acting career with a play, he wrote several mockumentaries, and was offered two of his own shows, both entitled The Ben Stiller Show. After acting in a few films, Stiller had his directorial debu ...more
More about Ben Stiller...

“Taking into account the public's regrettable lack of taste, it is incumbent upon you not to fit in.” 45 likes
“Your average person wouldn't recognize a sublime entity if it attempted to fist fuck them while waiting in line for the next Batman sequel. ” 10 likes