Start by marking “Mine Eyes Have Seen” as Want to Read:
Mine Eyes Have Seen

Mine Eyes Have Seen

Stirring and triumphant photographs evoke the heady days of the Civil Rights' Movement when America faced its worst nightmare and the Dream won. Fuelled by the powerful imagery in "Mine Eyes Have Seen", we take a rollercoaster ride, peering through the eyes of "LIFE" photographer Bob Adelman as America struggles. We are both seared and uplifted by unforgettable photographs ...more
Published November 20th 2007 by Liberty Street

To ask other readers questions about Mine Eyes Have Seen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine Eyes Have Seen

An Urgent Message
February 21, 2014 | by Ann Beattie

Douglas Castagna
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent piece of photo journalism. These pictures were very powerful and moving and synched up with the essays to paint a picture of a dark era in our country's history. One or two of the pictures were really interesting and different, and thus evoked an even more powerful response in me, and those, strangely enough were of Martin Luther King Jr. in a rare moment with a smile on his face and in his eyes. As if in that candid moment he knew everything would be all right.

Truly powerful
Quatrell Shedd
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Theres nothing to much on this book i didnt enjoy it like that it showed mainly pictures more than ever facts and if it was facts it would be simple baby facts that any African American shall know needs more interest in the book i strongly dislike this history text
Stacy-Ann
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book, love the black and white Photographs are great.
مصطفي سليمان
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
من كتاب ما رآته عيني..شاهد عيان عن معاناة حركة الحقوق المدنية.
الذي يرصد من خلال الصور مدي المعاناة التي شهدتها الحركة المدينة من تضييق أو تمييز عنصري.

المصور بوب آديل مان

سيدة في تأبين مارتن لوثر كينج.. ممفيس تينيسي..

مغني الجاز لويس آرمسترونج..نيويورك..

مقاطعة فيرري،نهر مسيسيبي ،

خطاب كراهية أمام البيت الأبيض..واشطن دي سي..

فصل مدرسي..نيويورك..

مالكوم أكس في مظاهرة للحقوق المدنية في بروكلين..نيويورك..

عودة من أعتصام..نيويورك..

ف انتظار عربة القطن..تاكولا..ميسيسيبي..

عازف ومغني الجاز الأسطوري مايلز
Chris
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Powerfully affecting photographs of the Civil Rights era, with revealing anecdotes from Adelman, all set into context by searching essays from the hand of Dr. Charles Johnson.

One particularly emotional shot (for me) was a group of protesters being sprayed with a fire hose (noted as being capable of stripping the bark from trees); rather than being washed away, the group managed to stand huddled, withstanding the blast. Adelman recalls that he had never witnessed such cruelty and wept while
Jennifer Kay
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sure, these are familiar images if you've ever studied any American history. Adelman's photography is worth another look, though, to see how he captured the people of the civil rights movement in motion.

I recently spoke with Adelman about his work for The Associated Press:

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Flipping through a stack of color images he shot during a 1965 march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., photographer Bob Adelman is casual about the history they represent.

He pauses at the image of a
Bridget
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done!

So glad my library had this still sitting out when I was browsing around. I've been wanting to look through Bob Adelman's pictures since I heard about them some years back (don't remember how long ago it was)..but I'd always forget to look for it at the library or online. He is really amazing at capturing the pictures (In My Opinion). Hopefully one day I'll be able to find the book to buy, at a great price of course! :-)
Valarie
A lot of great photographs in this volume, and some interesting captions, though there were also a few lackluster images that seemed to be thrown in as filler. "Random snapshot of a black person...well, they're black so it fits with our Civil Rights theme...right?"
Yasmin
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of the photographs and comments on a fiery time in the history of the US and in a secondary way effect other countries in the world. It is said that a single picture equals a thousand words, I believe that to be very true more so apparent in this superb book. Highly recommend.
Tamika Turner
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the photographs
Jbondandrews
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book with wonderful pictures. Bob Adelman's photos are amazing.
Bruce Thomas
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Great photography from the '60's era with Johnson's commentary.
Ninethia
Shannon
Feb 17, 2016
Jerry
Apr 14, 2015

• The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • My Cousin Rachel
  • His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae
  • Girl in Disguise
  • Sleepytown: A Southern Gothic Childhood, with Codeine
  • The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1)
  • The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • Like Trees, Walking
  • The Firm
  • Good Old Boy and the Witch of Yazoo
  • The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook
  • Foxfire 3
Bob Adelman has photographed cover stories for magazines including Esquire, Time, People, LIFE, Harper's, the New York Times Magazine, and Paris Match. An award-winning photojournalist, Adelman has exhibited his photographs at the Smithsonian and the American Federation of Art, and has them included in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art. Adelman is well-known for his photographs ...more