Start by marking “Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways” as Want to Read:
Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways

Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The streets of New York are full of characters-eccentrics, tourists, and residents-who don't care who's around to hear them. This collection offers some of the most bizarre, hysterical, and mysterious conversations overheard on the sidewalk, in the subway, or from the next table.

The website overheardinnewyork.com has been featured in many publications, including The New
Published January 31st 2006 by Chamberlain Bros.

To ask other readers questions about Overheard in New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overheard in New York

Jonathan
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
A delightful little jam of a book, chock-full of the (un)usual amuse-bouches we've all come to expect from NYC dwellers, thanks to the eponymous website. Guaranteed to make you feel your city and its own denizens lack chutzpah, wit, flow, and style in their speech. New Yorkers shine, the tourists typically burn, and we all float on all right.

Often I've found that the headlines written by the site/book's keepers are just as funny if not funnier than the quotes themselves. The fan-submitted quotes
Marsha
Ah, New York. There’s nowhere and nothing quite like it. Here it is, in all its steamy, seamy, sordid splendor and grit. The hicks, chicks, dicks, chicks with dicks, thugs, lugs, rubes, boobs, hippies, chippies, yuppies, buppies, homeless and hopeless are all here, all of them with something to say. Lewd, rude, crude, loud, rowdy and obnoxious and proud of it (no, fiercely proud of it; no, DAMN proud of it!), they cry out their opinions, foolishness, pride and shame and don’t care who sees them ...more
Jessica
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting way to look at our culture. A funny read!
Bookfanatic
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very funny! Some of these will make you laugh out loud. Others will give you a quiet chuckle. However, you need to have a sense of humor and not be too uptight. You can read this in bits and pieces. As the title indicates, these are small snatches of conversation overheard in various places in New York from subways, restaurants, sidewalks, restrooms, classrooms, etc. People say the funniest things on the phone and to each other. It's a bit voyeuristic, but admit it, we all love to get a glimpse ...more
Xanthi
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
A of the examples made me laugh, some made my cringe and a lot made me facepalm and reminded me why I purposely try to ignore or block out the random ramblings of other people. I was really hoping this was going to be funnier than what it turned out to be. In the end, it just confirmed that the world (or at least NYC?) is full of crazy/ignorant/racist/prejudiced people. *puts headphones on and walks away*
Bree
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
This is a really long book so it's better to just skip around. I think each page has 4 conversations on it so that is a lot of reading. Some are ridiculous and I rolled my eyes. I didn't laugh out loud and many were not funny but really sad and pathetic. I think a book edition was too much but to browse it on the computer when you have nothing to do might be fine...kind of like peopleofwalmart.com.
Kim
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining book. My favorite overheard thing is what a guy said on his cellphone: "Fuck you! I have a website you can go to. It's called www.getbitchslappedyoufuckingbitch.com. Or how about www.fuckthisshityoufuckingwhore.net.com?" It's that last "net.com" that gets me. It's like in that Austin Powers movie when he's saying "zip it" to Scott.
Mallory
Mar 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Fun! Great as a coffee table book so people can flip to a page, read, laugh, and go back to life. This isn't a book you'll read straight through, but you might want to!

Some of these are priceless.
Elizabeth
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A funny and quick read that I like to have in the Bathroom at home.
Often I found myself using the conversations within to justify my irrational dislike of New York City.
Lindsay
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Amusing.
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this was really funny, and feel I have some insight into NYC culture.
Cindy
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
people say the funniest things
Eileen Lennon
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
New Yorkers are funny. Snotty, but funny.
linalovetheater
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it
a quick read, funny as hell
Biscuits
It is what it is. Quirky snippets of out-of-context conversations. At times funny. Other times not so much.
Rachael
Jan 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
I just got this book for Christmas. I love overheardinpittsburgh.com so I am sure this will be a great book.
Corinne
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Once again, one of those "coffee table" books that I read in one sitting. Absolutely witty, funny, and entertaining.
Katrina
Jul 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
light read, good for the coffee table.
Raquel
Apr 12, 2007 rated it liked it
hilarious/bizarre/frightening conversations overheard in New York. A fun, quick read!
Karen!
Some of these are disturbing.
Some of these are threatening to the continuation of the human race.
Some of these are hysterical.
Katie
Dominick Cancilla
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Heretic's Feast: A History of Vegetarianism
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • The McSweeney's Joke Book of Book Jokes
  • Ranting Again
  • World's Great Men of Color, Volume I
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Grandma's Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • How Shakespeare Changed Everything
  • A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to Be One/For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One
  • Causing a Scene: Extraordinary Pranks in Ordinary Places with Improv Everywhere
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning