Start by marking “Dystopia” as Want to Read:
Dystopia

Dystopia

(Dystopia #1)

Imagine living in a world where everything you do is controlled.

In the distant future the United States has been split into two regions separated by a barren wasteland; this is the country of Dystopia. Here the individual is discouraged, freedom is an illusion, food is rationed, and everything you do is tracked by a chip implanted in your arm. This is Dan
ebook
Published April 7th 2013 by Janet McNulty (first published April 2nd 2013)

Start your review of Dystopia
Renae
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While the story idea was okay, the writing was just....bad. In chapter two, the author stops the story completely and directly addresses the reader. It really threw me, but I decided to keep reading, unfortunately.

Save yourself the time and money and DON'T bother with this book, despite some positive reviews.
Sukriti Goyal
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-book-review
view the complete review here on my Blog : http://sukriti810.blogspot.in/2014/07...

STAR RATING: 4.5/5
DESCRIPTION IN ONE LINE: I was at the edge the entire time and turned pages eagerly.

Title: Dystopia actually means an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. The title is highly appropriate for the book and conveys the general idea of the book completely.
Title Rating: 5/5

Cover: The choice of the grim colours
Toni
I really wanted to like this book.. and to be honest it has great potential.. I'm such a sucker for dystopia's I love the energy and the rush you get from reading them! But this book was like reading a play and I couldn't get in to it! I felt like was missing the rush and the build up.. Everything was short and the point.. Making me feel that the book was just ok. But with that being said.. it may be perfect for someone else!
Zhu Hsia
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
If you like YA fiction such as The Hunger Games, you’ll love this piece of art...

What attracted me to this book is the title Dystopia. It is the name of a country that are separated by wasteland. This novel is a YA fiction similar to The Hunger Games or Divergent. How can I tell of this book is a good read. I always followed a simple set of rules. The first rule is to look for good quotation as mentioned by the author in the story. If the quotation is worth mentioning, then I think this autho
Sukriti Goyal
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-book-review
Here's the interview with Janet McNulty : http://sukriti810.blogspot.in/2014/08...

STAR RATING: 4.5/5

Title Rating: 5/5

Cover: The choice of the grim col
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lately, I’ve been drinking in dystopian novels, so I jumped at the chance to read Dystopia. Almost immediately I realized this particular book was going to be a let-down.

The author’s writing lacks polish. Neither the characters nor the storyline drew me in due to poor grammar and word choice, glaring inconsistencies, and an overall absence of any type of development.

For example, initially Dana’s sister was taken five years ago, but a few pages later that same sister had b
Selina Liaw
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there are better words to describe how much I love this book.

Its AWESOME.

I love how the storyline glides from the starting to the end and the way the author describes the characters and the settings of the book.

I love the main character, Dana because she is headstrong, strong and stubborn.
I love how she tackled the challenges she faced but I was sad because someone close to her died in the story.

I love everything about the dystopia wor
Michelle Dunbar
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are elements of 1984 in here, and earlier chapters reminded me a little of the City of Ember, but I persevered and was able to engage with events a little easier after Dana's arrival at the Waste Management Plant. Her character begins to develop a little as she finds her way around this prison camp styled facility, making both friends and enemies, but a lot of the secondary characters did seem a little flat.

There are a few issues with the plot in this book, minor details that c
Psylk
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the concept for Dystopia was wonderful and the world was interesting. I am a huge dystopian fan and truly wanted to love the book. However, I felt that the writing was a little disjointed and choppy. The sentences seem very short and to the point, many of them being only a few words, and for me that made it extremely difficult to get into the book. I think it reads a bit more like a screen play than a novel. I also felt that it could have been slightly better paced. The end kind of com ...more
William O'Brien
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping and thrilling

Dystopia by Janet McNulty

I was given a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Dystopia is a fantastic book creating something new from an amalgamation of ideas. It is an interesting and adventurous read, gripping and thrilling.

McNulty has crafted a stimulating tale which will keep you turning the pages.

Dystopia primes your thoughts in a disturbing manner- great stuff!

A dark place and a de
T. Jackson
I was hooked the second I started reading.
Shirley
Oct 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I had intended finish this but dnf at 61%. This is one of those books that tells you not shows you. There is no atmosphere and I just dont care about anything that happened in the book.
Jessica
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Underwhelmed with this one. Simply written, definitely very young adult. Choppy dialogue and limited adjective use.
Pammy
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!!! Edge of your seat suspense!!!
Himakshi
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book, must read.
Katherine
This is a YA dystopia about a totalitarian city-state in the former USA called...Dystopia. Which is, in an odd way, a breath of fresh air--after all, usually euphemisms rule in worlds like this. At least they're being honest.

Main character Dana is assigned to work in a landfill where she and other hapless citizens are forced to work a giant incinerator (what could possibly go wrong there?). Of course, she begins to question her world and start down the inevitable path to becoming Rebel Heroine.
Kayla D
A free digital copy of this book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Originally seen on The Bookish Owl

Dystopia was a fast-paced and engrossing thriller. I loved the world build up that Janet McNulty gave us. Her dystopian world was descriptive but not to the point that I found it overwhelming. The whole concept of a regulated society and a government that didn’t care was terrifying. There was one part in which we are given an insider’s point of view to what the
Michael Long
Dana grew up questioning everything and ultimately the government decided to assign her to work in an incinerator plant. There she struggles to survive and ultimately find a way to fight back against her dystopian society.

This was a quick, enjoyable read. I enjoyed following Dana's story and discovery throughout the book. It has a little bit of a Hunger Games vibe in that most of the county is uninhabited and there are isolated, controlled areas that produce specific goods/resources
Barbara Huskey
I received a free ebook version from Library Thing member giveaway.

I enjoyed the premise of this book and liked most of the concepts. The vocabulary was pretty basic, but suitable for the young adult audience this is aimed at. I will warn parents of younger kids who may be interested that there is some mild profanity (shit, damn, bastard, bullshit) but used very sparingly. Also some violence and death, but spares the gory details. No romance or sexual content.

I did not ra
Jeannie
Fast Moving, Quick Read!

The president and council of Dystopia dictate jobs, ration food and control all aspects of life. 17 year old Dana is the rebel teenager who questions authority and finds there are consequences to her actions. She is soon to discover how unjust their government is.

This is a short story written for the young adult audience and adults alike. Personally parts of the story lack flow and were a little choppy, the end a little abrupt, though the overall s
Bill Thibadeau
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through a LibraryThing member giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

I found this story to be very interesting with an interesting premise about a national government run amuk. It is interesting and shows the human toil associated with a class based society where most work for the benefit of the elite few. The story clipped along briskly but then it ended - sort of. There is a second volume. I take exception when a prolific author writes a book then separates
Christy
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enter Dana's world. The government is no longer as we know instead they work hard to ensure a utopia society or so you are suppose to believe. Dana is 17 and lost so much already what is the blow of being assigned to waste management. The place where people are sent to die.
Dana is a well written teenage girl. I feel her pains and understand her angst and desire to push back against a system that more than ever rewards the rich and keeps the poor down. Her reactions are not so uncommon to us tod
Ceh131973
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Dystopia] by [Janet McNulty] is a modern version of [1984] and example of when good intentions get caught up in greed and people are too lazy to care. The characters were very well developed as well as their relationships. The whole idea struck me as what people in the old Soviet Union must have felt like. (I am a history nerd.) I feel the message is that no matter what if people are apathetic they will lose what means the most to them and sometimes standing up for what is right can be really h ...more
Heather Langston
I liked it. It's nothing to rave about however it did leave me interested in continuing the series - at some point. Dystopia is a quick read. I do agree that the politics were not subtle at all (which didn't bother me. I found it amusing but I know some could possibly be offended). There were also some editorial errors but not an over abundance of them. Would I recommend? To some, yes. To others, probably not.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest revi
Jaime
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dana is a typical dystopian heroine, who finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time and ends up becoming the catalyst for change. Dana is not looking for a fight, she is not looking to be a rebel, it all just kind of drops in her lap. This was an exciting first book in the series however the ending did leave something to be desired. It just stopped suddenly, without a cliff hanger or anything, but let you know there would be a follow up.

Would recommend.
Virginia
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could this be the U.S.'s future?

This is a somehwat haunting story. It is haunting because I think it's possible this could become us. I'm not sayint that I don't believe in helping my fellows out there but this is equality for most of the masses taken to the extreme. If we're not careful about how we vote, we could be headed for trouble in the future! I look forward to Book 2.
Tyler Moore
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous

Fabulous

So sad that George died at the end, but this book was well written and the plot was loaded with details. I can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy.
Lilfries
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a free copy of this book for an honest review. In this social system there are the have and the have-nots. Most have their food, electricity and their jobs selected for them. Non-compliance is severely punished. Chips implanted under the skin control everything.
Laurie Hopkins
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

The look we get into Dystopia is scary, and chapter two's description of how it got there, you can see and feel it. Dana is conflicted about what to do, save her family or friends and then to find the truth,

Feedback needed for YA Dystopian Query Letter 1 2 Apr 12, 2018 11:18AM

• The Survivor Journals Omnibus
  • Slow Burn Box Set: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Books 1-9)
  • Barbed Wire and Daisies
  • Breakdown (Dark Road Book 1)
  • Doomsday: Apocalypse (The Doomsday Series, #1)
  • 40 Days of the Names, Titles, and Attributes of God
  • 200 Miles To Liberty (Perilous Miles Book 4)
  • Another 20 Miles (Perilous Miles Book 3)
  • 15 Miles From Home (Perilous Miles #1)
  • Dystopia (Dystopia #1)
  • 300 Miles (Perilous Miles #0.5)
  • The Worlds We Make (Fallen World, #3)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)
  • The Maze Runner Files (Maze Runner)
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
  • Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind
Ms. McNulty has published in a variety of genres, not wanting to be tied down to just one thing. She began her writing career with her fantasy series entitled Legends Lost. Since then, she has gone on to publish in the popular dystopian genre with her Dystopia Trilogy and has even published a cozy mystery series entitled Mellow Summers. Her most recent work is her space opera, science fiction adve ...more

Dystopia (3 books)
  • Tempered Steel (Dystopia, #2)
  • Liberty's Torch (Dystopia, #3)
“When you live in a world where evil is allowed to flourish, you get used to it.” 0 likes
“Death comes for us all in the end,” replied” 0 likes