Start by marking “Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)

Beyond Reach

(Grant County #6)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  22,685 ratings  ·  1,276 reviews
Sara Linton--resident medical examiner/pediatrician in Grant County, Georgia, --has plenty of hardship to deal with, including defending herself in a heartbreaking malpractice suit. So when her husband, Police chief Jeffery Tolliver, learns that his friend and coworker detective Lena Adams has been arrested for murder and needs Sara's help, she is not sure she can handle t ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Reach, please sign up.
Kristina Horner Yes...In the U.S. it is called Beyond Reach. In the U.K it is Skin Privilege.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  22,685 ratings  ·  1,276 reviews

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 6th and last book of the Grant County Series, and OMG it was so gut wrenching, even though I was prepared for it because I read the Will Trent Series first. You will not want to do this because there are major spoilers, make sure you read this series first. If you haven't read this series yet I highly recommend it. It is so good. I will admit though that this series is not for the faint of heart.
When Detective Lena Adams is arrested in her home town in Georgia, her boss, police Chie
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
WOW! I feel like I have been hit by a freight train - that's how fast paced this book was. But it was good - really good.

Lena has a disposition which, more often than not, lands her in trouble. But never before like this.....

Slaughter must be one of the best ever writers. I even love her acknowledgements - 'Sue Kurylowicz was the winner of the 'Get Slaughtered' contest, granting her the dubious honour of having her name appear in this book. Sue, honey, you DID ask to be bad....' and It's not man
Amanda Patterson
I don’t know how to review this book. I have to give it full marks, even though every cell in my body screams at me not to.
Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are well known to Slaughter’s fans. Slaughter has taken the American crime forensic genre and made it her own.
Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs are running to stand still to keep up with her.
They can’t. They won’t. No-one will.
It takes a special author to shock a reader for 7 sequential books. Slaughter does it without flinching and without
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words sort of fail me right now. The entire book is one huge tension-filled ride and just when you think it's safe to breathe...the world collapses.

I think that's all I'll say about the book. It's brilliantly written, no matter how upset I am about the series end.
Beverly
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mo
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Let's just say if I had been heavily invested in these books and these characters, this author would probably have lost a fan for life. (view spoiler)

He was smiling again, that half-smile that could infuriate her and make her love him at the same time.

Ah, well, back to Will Trent and to see how that all pans out.

Debra
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
God damn it. I want to punch Karin Slaughter in the face right now. Seriously, I do!

This book is the finale book in the Grant County Series. Holy Crap! I guess this series had to end one way or another.

Lena, once again, is up to her eyeballs in trouble. Her bad decision making and self destructing ways lead her down a path that in turns leads Jeffery and Sara down the same path.

Lena has been arrested for Murder and needs help. Sara is up to her eyeballs in stress as she is being sued by a forme
✨Susan✨
In this final addition to the, "Grant County" series, Lena leads Jeffery and Sarah into a deadly situation and as usual she is in over her head. Jeffery knows that Lena took a trip to her home town to find out why she had been unable to reach her uncle who had in fact raised her and her sister. When Jeffery is unable to reach her days later, he and Sarah are off to the next county to see what gives. Upon their arrival they learn Lena is in the hospital and being held for questioning, her uncle i ...more
Karin Slaughter
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I should also add that this book is called SKIN PRIVILEGE in the UK and other territories. My US publisher felt that Beyond Reach would be a better title, so we went with that here. Same book, same story, same words except for that color/colour thing.
Karina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How did I not get into Karin Slaughter books in my teen years? Where was I? Was I living under a rock, was I trying too hard to be into chick-lit?

First off I didn't know this was a DAMN series and I frankly don't care!! I'll read them backwards. I'm glad Slaughter doesn't go too in depth about their pasts because what was happening to Jeffrey, Sara, and Lena at this moment was enough for me to be hooked.... It took me 3 days to finish, which lately being in a reading funk, says a lot about how I
Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Wendy
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finished re-reading (listening to) this 6th book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County series.
I loved the story and only gave it 4 stars because of the shocking ending. I do understand why the author ended the book the way she did but that doesn't change how I feel about it.
Looking forward to carrying on with the next book which starts the "Will Trent" series.
Janice
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great writing by Slaughter as always... but man, the ending!! I was literally heartbroken!! I cannot believe Karin Slaughter did that!!!

I highly recommend first time readers of this series (Grant County) to start from the beginning because you gotta understand the complexity of these characters. There's just so much to Lena Adams, Sara Linton, and Jeffrey Tolliver that you can't really get from just reading this book.

A must-read for suspense-thriller fans!! The ending... still gets to me!
Jori
Oct 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
K.
Trigger warnings: drug abuse, white supremacists, Nazi symbolism, murder, fire, immolation, car accident, death of a child, mentions of rape (in the past), death of a loved one (in the past), mentions of abortion, explosions, (view spoiler)

22/2/2018
On reread, I think I'm bumping this up to 4 stars. Having read things in order, there are a lot of li
Brenda
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Darn you Karin Slaughter!! Darn you for making me fall in love with Sara & Jeffery & all the characters of 'Grant County'. Now the series is done and I'm left with a binge-worthy series hangover. I enjoyed this series very much. This & Blindsighted were my favorite books of the series. Thankfully, I have 'Will Trent' to look forward to.
Wysterria
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
karin slaughter is one of my favorite authors. i went on a spree and read everything she has written. i have a hard time giving her anything less than 5 stars. she writes captivating stories on the topic of crime scene/mystery/romance. strange combination i know. the main characters of her grant county novels are sara linton and jeffrey tolliver, who used to be married, and are both involved in each crime scene. jeffrey is chief of police and sara is county coroner. they have side story of their ...more
Sheyla ✎
May 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, heartbreak, suspense

What a horrible ending to a series!

Not sure what the author was thinking with this one.

The plot:

Detective Lena Adams goes to visit her uncle Hank during her day off. To her surprise, she finds him high as a kite. When did Hank get hooked on drugs again?

Next thing we know, Lena is in custody after a car is burned with a body in it and Lena is found close to it. Chief Jeffrey Tolliver comes running to help his detective and Sara Linton is tagging along. Jeffrey and Sara have recently remarried a
Maureen DeLuca
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
What can you say about Karin Slaughter- If you like the thriller, slasher, kill em, slice them up , dice them up and all that other good stuff- this lady can pretty much do it all. Having said that - as far as this series is concerned "Grant County" it just didn't do it for me like so many of the goodreads people. First you have Lena- I know so many really hate her. I don't 'hate' her at all. I pity her more than anything. Having the childhood she had , and my goodness let us not forget what she ...more
Janie Johnson
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is the 6th and final book in the Grant County series. Although it reads like it could have another to the series and somehow I wished that there was another. I tired to prepare myself for this one since I was spoiled by reading the Will Trent series first, but I never quite got prepared enough.

Synopsis
Jane Stewart
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Story was kind of average. But the terrible ending brought this to 1 star.

I can’t trust this author to give me a good feeling at the end or emotional justice. I want closure and questions answered. In this book questions were not answered. Things were not resolved. Future threats still exist. And worst of all something horrible happens to a main character.

During the book, I was curious about what was going on and what would happen. On hindsight, I regret reading this.

The author’s mechanics were
Stacey
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I could have told you this was going to be YET ANOTHER 5 star read before I even started it. Karin Slaughter absolutely kills the game with her Grant County series. This series has captured my heart and without giving any spoilers, I will say that the last few pages of this brought me to tears. I feel like these characters are so real and like I have connected with them so much throughout this series.

One of the reasons I loved this particular book in the series so much is because I feel like Jef
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
5 stars - even though it broke my heart. There's no way to discuss this book without spoilers. I will say that this book & the entire series is written realistically...often graphically depicting the dark side of human nature. Slaughter doesn't sugarcoat this world and as she so aptly shows us, life doesn't always lead to sweet HEA's. I have so much respect for her for sticking to her vision for this series & I continue to be in awe of her writing talent.
Paula
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not sure what I just read. I'm so mixed in my feelings about this book right now. Most of this book was a five star book, but in the end I have to give it three stars.
Pisces51
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEYOND REACH By Karin Slaughter (GRANT COUNTY BOOK 6)
MY REVIEW FIVE STARS*****

I finished reading the final installment of the Grant County Books (BEYOND REACH, from 2007) last night. Unlike most of the people who have written reviews, I am different in at least two significant ways. First, I am reading and reviewing this novel in 2019, twelve years after it was published. Secondly, I was privy to the end of the book before I bought and read it.

I have been a loyal fan of Karin Slaughter's novel
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I repeatedly kicked myself in the butt for not reading the Grant County series before starting the Will Trent series, which was where Sara Linton's life changed dramatically. I will try not to make this mistake again with other series. The timing has to be just right for the reader to understand the need for the chronological process.

This is the end to the Grant County series and I am not as shocked as I would have been had I not read all the books in the Will Trent series first. I knew some th
Esther
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what Karin Slaughter is doing to me.. This can't be the end of the Grand County series?! I need another book..
WTH is this ENDING...?!

Srsly, read this series. It's the best ever. And I can't believe that Karin Slaughter chose to end the series this way.. I always hope for a GREAT finale.. And this is one... I'm shocked beyond believe.

Longer review:
stephanie
i am so. happy. about this book. seriously. and so happy i didn't wait and got it when i did, though the cover of the american version is awful pretty . . . though i don't like the title as much. Beyond Reach.

i don't know how much i can say without ruining the book, but seriously, the whole thing just keeps going and going and then it ends, and you're like, wtf?! it's such a wtf that the author wrote a letter to answer the inevitable flood of questions/etc.

i, however, couldn't be happier with

• The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Deviant Ways
  • Without Consent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Malice (New Orleans, #6)
  • Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4; Chicago, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Evil at Heart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #3)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Slaughter is the founder of t ...more

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
“Only...ever...you.” 2 likes