Start by marking “The War Games of Zelos (The Expendables, #3)” as Want to Read:
The War Games of Zelos (The Expendables, #3)

The War Games of Zelos (The Expendables #3)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The probe reported no evidence of human life on Zelos. It should have been an easy mission. The planet was supposed to be remarkably like Earth.

The Expendables were trained to expect the unexpected, but even they were surprised to discover homo sapiens 24 light-years away from Terra. These people were Viking-like. Tall. Strong. Armed. And ready to fight with their uninvite
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published 1980 by Coronet (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The War Games of Zelos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Games of Zelos

Jay
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the only reason i read this book was because i bought books 1,2 and 3 at a used book store for $1 each. I definitely got a bucks worth of entertainment out of these trashy pulp titles. I can't wait to return them to the book store and unleash the pulp on some other unsuspecting reader.

i guess there is a 4th in this series. It probably follows the exact same formula as the first 3. I hope I never find a copy of it at the used book store because I would probably have to buy and read that one too.
Simon
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Science fiction for people who like fun, but don't like science that much.
Michael Memoli
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scifi exploration fans
Shelves: yhe-expendables
Read this years ago. So glad to find it in digital format. This book continues the crew of the Santa Maria's mission to explore prove a planet for colonization. Survival of the human race hangs in the balance. Commander James Conrad has a crew of highly talented humans designated expendables and 4 self programming robots. They not only look for traps, they jump up and down on the springs. If enough expendables survive a local year the planet may be considered for colonists.

Each Expendable is a v
Andrew
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the third of the expendable series - and as you can well imagine the characters and plot are pretty much set - what makes it different each time is the planet the come across and the perils and challenges they are presented from it. This is where the story really takes on its pulp origins and excels. Again i will not give anything away but I will say that one of my favourite scenes is the "games" and how the crew take on the challenges and use their special skills to make their own speci ...more
Zaratoth
The third book of the series and for me the less exciting yet. It follows pretty much the same characters (the three main and the archetypical side ones) into yet another planet, facing a new challenge. At first I was glad they finally encountered intelligent species. At second I did not like that these species were humans. It soon devolved from space sci fi to a kind of science fantasy that, while entertaining, was not the reason I liked the series. I hope the fourth and last one is better.
Kate
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series that I have read, and I don't see myself reading the other books. I am a fan of sci-fi and action. Reading the description, I expected a sort-of Hunger Games-for lack of better comparison-going on between the humans and the Zelosians to fight for Zelos. Unfortunately, I only got little action and a slow plot from this book.
Charles
Aug 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this in the Fawcett edition, and as by Richard Avery. In fact, I didn't realize until today that Avery was actualy Edmund Cooper. I thought it was pretty good, perhaps a bit better than 3 stars.
John
Feb 17, 2010
Martin
Apr 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Pseudonym of Edmund Cooper.

Librarians Note: This author should not be merged with the profile for Edmund Cooper. Books are listed in the Goodreads database by the name under which they were published, even if later reprinted under the author's real name.
More about Richard Avery...

The Expendables (4 books)
  • The Deathworms of Kratos (The Expendables, #1)
  • The Rings of Tantalus (The Expendables, #2)
  • The Venom of Argus (Expendables 4)