Start by marking “From Science to God: A Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness” as Want to Read:
From Science to God: A Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness

From Science to God: A Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness

Peter Russell went from being a strict atheist and scientist to discovering a profound personal synthesis of the mystical and the scientific. That transition is the basis of this book. In From Science to God, he blends physics, psychology, and philosophy to reach a new worldview in which consciousness is a fundamental quality of creation. Russell shows how all the ingredie ...more
Published December 22nd 2004 by New World Library (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about From Science to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Science to God

Start your review of From Science to God: A Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness
Scott
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Unlike the God I rejected as a youth, God as the light of consciousness neither conflicts with my scientific leanings, nor does it run counter to my intuition and reason. Indeed, it points towards an ultimate convergence of science and religion."
Ronald Fife
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Peter Russell offers an easy to understand work that describes his new “paradigm of paradigms”. I was first enlightened by him through watching his video lecture,
“The Primacy of Consciousness”, which I highly recommend. His simplification that light may be the fundamental source of existence is a good starting point, but I don’t think he is really saying that. In my interpretation he seems to be saying that light is a good place to look to get closer to a fundamental source. In the above video
Trent
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading Chapter Seven online a few years before I purchased the book. It completely shifted my world view and had me questioning everything I thought I knew. If anything this book opens the eyes of those clouded by logic and science. These words brought me to life from my deep atheistic thought and, among other writings, led me towards my current university studies. This book is not for everyone, but those who can read objectively and openly will gain more and more from every page. 5 ...more
Libby
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am fascinated by consciousness. Nothing in the physical sciences predicts the phenomenon of consciousness. Yet its reality is apparent to each and every one of us. Qantum Physics is the only branch of science, I think, that has even a remote chance of exploring human consciousness and the realm of "deep mind". This book is a fantastic intro to this new field of study.
Jim
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting concept and book: it has put me onto consciousness as an area of exploration. As a sometime process theologian I found it intriguing.
John Spiri
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Russell writes eloquently and logically about life and the nature of reality. Much of the book contains his reflections on his life and why he walked the path he did.
Shane
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who are familiar with the basic principles of Quantum Physics, you will no doubt be familiar with the enigma physicists have known for decades: At the most fundamental level of matter, the very fact of observation directly affects what's being observed. Put another way, our consciousness actually shapes the "reality" we perceive. Peter Russell does a fantastic job of making complex ideas and advanced scientific models easily understandable in simple, every-day language and terms ...more
Karl
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a young mathematician at Cambridge University Peter Russell had some deep, fundamental questions about the nature of the universe and he realized that math, or the sciences in general, could not adequately address his questions. Leaving Cambridge on his quest for knowledge Peter studied with Indian sages and he became intrigued with religion, philosophy and even quantum physics.

Peter Russell uses his unique blend of life experiences to connect these seemingly diverse fields into one intercon
Josh Stroud
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell:
Russell proposes a paradigm shift from a materialist viewpoint, in which objective reality is made of time, space, and energy, to a consciousness viewpoint, in which reality is constructed by our collective consciousness and therefore subjective.

Consciousness is "built-in" to the universe, and everything is made out of mindstuff, not physical-stuff.

This paradigm would combine science and religion as two halves of humanity's collective search for truth.
Kay Wiggins
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those with an inquiring mind
Recommended to Kay by: friend Phyllis
It's good to be reminded from time to time that there's a whole lot we don't know about what's "out there". Russell offers a thoughtful explanation of some of the possibilities, and how they may alter our perception of who we are and who God is.
Richard Williams
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
quick interesting read that left me eager to learn more.
excellent up to india, about 1/2 way, then became just good because of lack of detail.
question: exactly how does he meditate?
oe what did he learn in india and how can i repeat his lesson for myself?
followup topic: experiential knowledge.
Dawn
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites. Very well done. If you like physics, at all, it explains the power of positive thinking with the help of quantum physics. Sounds difficult, but he writes it so well, even I could get it. And, I knew nothing of the subject before hand.
Deborah Veres
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good study on consciousness and where it exists. Very interesting!
Tim Browne
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly thought provoking.
Eric Blackstone
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deceptively simple and clear presentation of paradigm-shattering concepts and current understanding surrounding the intersection between science and spirituality.
Pattie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply written book about one man's journey through physics and the principles of light to the inner journey of finding God.
WarriorShihTzu
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most thought provoking books I've read. I read it periodically and enjoy it every time, learning something new.
Shankar
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinarily simple yet profound book!
Jo-jo
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Great help to awaken.
Sukhdeep Singh
A book with perfect intersection between science and spirituality.
Maryam Kh
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first chapters of the book and I was hoping that the writer would go deeper into those topics. The chapters talked about subjectivity of our senses against what’s going on actually in the physical world. Peter explains that we can only see the world the way it is because of how our senses allow us to (the way our mind sees colors, reads sounds, experience space and time, sensations, (he gave tons of examples) etc. He then concludes that the world we know and see is not made ...more
Sreedevi Viswambaran
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a path-breaking book for me. The initial chapters are a pure gem and it gave me a completely new perspective towards everything. When we say 'life as we see it', you never know how limited that 'seeing' is. Linking science to God is not easy, especially when those are considered as opposite poles by current world view. Peter Russell's transition is almost seamless. I would stress on the word 'almost' because the chapters on consciousness to God were mainly based on Author's own experiences ...more
Chula Watugala
The first few chapters where he argues for the primacy of consciousness is quite well done in simple convincing language. His argument for panpsychism in terms of consciousness being in everything hints at an unexamined residual materialism.

The rest of the book is filled with assertions based on the assumption that consciousness is the self as well as "God", and that every single historical figure who hinted at the "light of consciousness" is enlightened. To assume all spiritual traditions are
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended

Peter has a way of expressing his erudition and wisdom while keeping it within easy reach of the layman.
There is enough to sink your teeth into here to keep you interested, yet it is easy enough to leave with the core takeaway of what ails us and where we should look to ease the ache.
Subham
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author is a physicist and works on neurophysics and consciousness. This book in short elucidates his life and journey to find meaning in consciousness and free will. It reads well and provides useful information.
Ralph Cortes
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book deserves more than a second read!
Srikanth
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
EthericRemedy
Frames the developments of physics in their relation to a larger more cohesive world view.
Ganesh Ramakrishnan
Slim book that touches upon a few themes that make a scientific-rational person explore spiritual ideas and practices coming from ancient sources. The quotes at the beginning of each section are excellent.

This book does not try to prescribe anything or convince the reader of any viewpoint. That is the strength as well as a limitation of the book. A quick refresher of a book that could be an initiator for novices in spirituality.
Lynn Wilson
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an excellent explanation of the basic concepts of physics as well as the development of religions and spiritual thinking. There is nothing new here for those who have done extensive readings along these lines but the author does a great job of simplifying things. A physicist who has studied eastern philosophies and practices, the author is a very clear and concise writer.

• Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
  • Be As You Are
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
  • Building the Earth
  • Hjärnstark
  • The Birth and Death of Meaning: An Interdisciplinary Perspective on the Problem of Man
  • Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality
  • Practicing the Presence: The Inspirational Guide to Regaining Meaning and a Sense of Purpose in Your Life
  • The Art of Meditation
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
  • Power vs. Force
  • The Hand of God: Thoughts and Images Reflecting the Spirit of the Universe
  • Faces of Love
  • A Parenthesis in Eternity: Living the Mystical Life
  • Krishnamurtis Notebook
  • Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences Americans
  • Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter Russell M.A., D.C.S., is a British author of ten books and producer of three films on consciousness, spiritual awakening and their role in the future development of humanity. He has designed and taught personal development programs for businesses, and has remained a popular public speaker.

In 1965 he was awarded an Open Exhibition to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, to study Mathematics