Start by marking “The Mourning Handbook: The Most Comprehensive Resource Offering Practical and Compassionate Advice on Coping with All Aspects of Death and Dying” as Want to Read:

No one should be left to grieve alone
Even with the help of friends and family, grieving the death of a loved one can be a complex, sometimes overwhelming, process. The Mourning Handbook is written as a companion to those mourners in need of practical and emotional assistance during the trying times before and after the death of a loved one.
Having counseled thousands of
Published August 1st 1995 by Touchstone (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Mourning Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mourning Handbook

Scott Holstad
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book a couple of weeks ago because my father just died a few weeks ago. I got several grief recovery books and I think this one was the best of the bunch. It's pretty comprehensive and easy to read, and it's divided up into chunks so that you can go to a section that deals with your particular issues at the moment. It doesn't have to be read cover to cover (although I did that). Among some of the helpful issues it addresses is denial ("Don't try to fool yourself into thinking that you ...more
Jo
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found this book after my younger brother died, quite unexpectedly, a month ago). The author uses simple language and short sections, which is very helpful right now. It is very comprehensive & meant to be used like an encyclopedia, I think, dipping in and out of the sections you need - otherwise it's way too much information for a grieving person to absorb - or read (I found it very difficult to read anything at the beginning). But using it in encyclopedia form its very helpful; a comfort ...more
Kymberlie
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has lost a loved one or is preparing for the death of a loved one
Shelves: grieving
I found this book to be very comprehensive, including many different types of grief and the various stages of grief depending on the circumstances. Often times, grief from a sudden death is different from grief of an anticipated death. Grief from loss of a child, friend, parent or someone else close is different from grief from loss of someone estranged to you. As unique as the circumstances may be, there are so many similarities as well. This book covers anticipatory grief, sudden / unexpected ...more
Stacy
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was the only one that helped me after the unexpected death of a close friend of mine. This book examines literally every aspect of death and how it affects the grief process. It also examines the death of every possible relationship you may encounter in your lifetime; from your parents, to friends, to pets. It's written simply; the author acknowledges that during times of grief, the attention span is short and disjointed, so she tries to make entries as short as possible while still ge ...more
Karyn Wynne
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Perfect. I have been reading this since my husband died in November 2009, through the death of my Dad in January 2011 (after a 3 month bed ridden illness). It addresses everything!!! Tragically, I no longer own it, the woman I gave it to, who's mother is dying, was killed in a car crash.
I recommend it to anyone who is facing, has faced, is in any way presented with, death or dying!
Theresa Garton
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive guide through the mourning process. This book was a great comfort and resource for me after I lost my husband. I have recommended it to many others. You may not use all of it, but that doesn't discount the value it can still provide
Kristine (fezabel)
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has lost a loved one
Shelves: self-help
I found this book after losing my father a few weeks ago. I have found it to be a helpful resource and a comfort. The author uses simple language and short sections. The sections are divided so that a person can easily find the topic most needed without reading the enitre book. Highly recommended.
Toni
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone dealing with death and dying. There are a lot of practical things -- like arranging a funeral -- but many helpful stories and reminders, too. I jokingly referred to it as "my death for dummies" book.
Katherine
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
With the death of both of my parents, so close together, I NEEDED this book. 2 years later, I still pick it up for guidance when I get in a low point in my grief cycle. Highly recommended to anyone who has lost a loved one.
Feb 09, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't find this book to be terribly helpful; in an attempt to be truly comprehensive, it is very general, and I didn't find anything new or insightful.
Jen
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book did not help at all. It actually made me feel worse. Of course, I think anytime you make yourself focus on death-its not really going to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Jim