Start by marking “The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage” as Want to Read:
The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Those pesky dangling modifiers, split infinitives, and comma splices--they infect our spoken and written language with such frequency that even native English speakers find it difficult to determine what's right and what's wrong!

"The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage "shows you how to fix these everyday English language mistakes. With commonsense, easy-to-r
Published October 20th 2004 by McGraw-Hill

Be the first to ask a question about The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage

Zuzana
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was not at all enthusiastic at first (seriously? since when do we call everything from numerals to articles to demonstratives "adjectives"?!?!?). However, once I got over the authors' classifications (which made me feel like I must have studied linguistics on another planet, or in another time period, or both), I really appreciated the simplicity with which they were able to communicate stuff that must often seem really difficult to non-linguists (and maybe even linguists). They have some usef ...more
Natalie
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the textbook for my grammar class, the first class on the way to obtaining certification in copyediting. It broke down concepts fairly well and was easy enough to understand, but as I discovered when using supplementary resources, did not go as in depth as it could have or left out what I thought was pretty important information. I'd still recommend it as a grammar refresher or for language nerds who like to nitpick.

Edit: THIS is my 1000th "read" book on Goodreads? How very. :/
Minkpro
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book help me learn English grammar and some writing rules.
Kazia
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
*American English

It was alright. It was fairly easy enough to get through. I found some of the concepts a tad more simplified than they needed to be.
Mary
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear concise book that's great when you're looking for a refresher on grammar.
Anna B
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, editors, proofreaders
This is my go-to reference book for any questions related to grammar. It's indispensable.

Finally, a grammar book that breaks down the rules of grammar in ways that I can understand. It separates the grammar from usage, and it provides a thorough explanation so that you can better understand the rules, exceptions, and methods. If you understand the important aspects of grammar, you will know how to avoid problems so that you won't need to refer to grammar books later on. And isn't that the point?
Alisha
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any and everyone.
Shelves: reference
I read this for a class I took. The book is very accessible, easy to understand. It covers both the basics of grammar as well as the problem areas that are most commonly seen in certain writing situations. I will definitely keep a copy of this book on hand for reference.

I enjoyed the touch of wryness that could be found here and there. It kept the book from the dreaded "dryness" and reminded me that there were actual living, breathing, witty people behind the book. :o) However, this in no way de
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: editing
This primer is very straightforward and clear in its explanations of what is correct and incorrect. It builds a great basic framework in Part I and then explores nuisances and complications in Part II. One of the better grammar books I've read. (Using this for an online editing course.)
T.W. Brown
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must for the grammarian. Not only does it have all the rules you need to be a better editor, but it also has a plethora of examples to help clarify when the words all seem to turn to mush on the page.
Margot
Apr 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Excellent guide to English usage. My only complaints are that some sections from the later chapters seem to be essentially copy/pasted from the earlier.
Elijah Hanson
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing! Hadn't read any grammar book in a while; it was good to pick one that wasn't written to go over my head. I'd definitely pick it up again.
Erin Brenner
Jun 30, 2014
Nancy Sheys
Feb 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing (Essential Resource Library) (Essential Resource Library)
  • Copyediting and Proofreading For Dummies
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • English Grammar and Composition: Complete Course
  • Linux Network Administrator's Guide
  • A Tractate on Japanese Aesthetics
  • Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage Publisher: Merriam-Webster
  • Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
  • Fretboard Logic SE - Special Edition The Reasoning Behind the Guitar's Unique Tuning + Chords Scales and Arpeggios Complete (Volumes I and II Combined) (Fretboard Logic Guitar Method Ser)
  • Algebra I for Dummies
  • Words into Type
  • The Chicago Manual of Style

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »