Start by marking “P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet” as Want to Read:
P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet

P Is for Pilgrim: A Thanksgiving Alphabet

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Now available in paperback, P is for Pilgrim presents the history and lore of Thanksgiving. From the lives of our early settlers, who set the foundations for our country's freedoms and ideals, to the background and meaning behind our celebrations of today, young readers will gain a renewed appreciation of this American holiday.
Published September 1st 2007 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published August 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about P Is for Pilgrim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P Is for Pilgrim

Janet
Thanksgiving and the concept of giving thanks is my favorite holiday and spiritual concept. This book is not one I can be grateful for. It is confusing in presentation, going from present day concepts about how we celebrate to facts about the pilgrims. Using the abc format the author is forced to make everything fit the mold. I just feel this title isn't coherent, the abc format makes one unable to formulate the info given into a knowledgeable core of info about the pilgrims.
Amara
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a glorious whitewashing of American history. We were nice to the Natives! We signed treaties with them!

Also, there's a slight tone of nationalism in there.

The pilgrims loved Natives, remember? They were best friends. Don't forget.

'Merica.

The sad part is the author is a "historian".

"All Races in our republic respect each other’s rights and responsibility."

Races? Furthermore, "races" capitalized? Further-furthermore, lol, hahahahaha omg, so true! Racism is dead! #MAGA
Breyanna Hill
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book uses a thanksgiving alphabet to help teach students about traditions and the history of thanksgiving. Pictures are used in great detail to describe the history.
Stephanie
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don’t love this book, but with my team is voting for 4 stars. We only read the text and not the extra information tonight.
Mary Frances
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
In my mind even an alphabet picture book should still a continuous story. This one does not. In addition, the poetry is abysmal and the sidebars are not interesting. The illustrations were mediocre.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Luisa Knight
Nov 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
There was some interest things presented, but it felt like a government-written children's textbook to me (if you know what I mean). I mostly skimmed it.

Ages: 8 - 12

#thanksgiving

Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Ra
Megan Nelson
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of Thanksgiving from A to Z and how we came to celebrate it. The story of Thanksgiving goes all the way back to the Pilgrims, who sailed to America from across the sea, and met Indians when they arrived in the "New World". The Pilgrims and Indians got along, and both groups learned a lot from the other (how to grow/harvest crops, etc.). This book describes different parts of that story using the alphabet, A to Z. "Thanksgiving Day is spending time to remember the past ...more
Cyndi
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prek-1
This book has beautiful illustrations and teaches more than just the alphabet. There is a little poem about each letter and mostly relates to pilgrims and the foundation of America. On the side there it's detailed information about the subject. This way the book can be read to small children but older children will also benefit by learning more indepth information that a pre-k child would not be interested in. For instance, the letter talks about education and Sara Josepha Hale who petitioned fo ...more
Dolly
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an informative, but somewhat scattered alphabet book that sort-of has a Thanksgiving theme. The topics that are covered are all over the place and on several occasions I wondered how the topic connected to the theme of the book. It's just not all that coherent. The narrative is a bit long as well, so we could only cover part of the alphabet at a time.

The illustrations are colorful and glossy, with realistic people and depictions that help convey the various topics. We enjoyed reading th
Rosa Cline
This was a very beautifully done book; but be aware it is for older children not the younger ones. The illustrations were very nicely done. There is a detailed description on each page talking about History of what that letter of the alphabet is talking about. Then another part of the page is smaller description. This is what I read to my nearly 4 year old granddaughter and even some of that I edited what I read to her. But it was fun just looking at the illustrations.
Lyndy Stein
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all, nonfiction
This is a beautifully illustrated book by Carol Crane that examines the lives of early settlers and the history of Thanksgiving. I love that it is an alphabet book too because each letter of the alphabet has a ton of information on the page. This would be a great book to use for a project a week or two before Thanksgiving. Students could each be assigned a letter to explore a little deeper to learn more about Thanksgiving.
Javen Smith
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely for grades 5th through middle school. This book has been one of my favorites that I have read so far! The author does a great job at putting the alphabet in sequential odder and then making the history of the pilgrims match with that particular alphabet. The illustration is fantastic and really makes the book that much more enjoyable!
Thecajungirl
This book is a nice book to use with a preschooler through K. The illustrations are captivating enough to hold attention and the focus sentences are to the point and interesting and concise. The pages each contain side informative paragraphs that are detailed enough to help a middle school age brush up on the subject matter.
Madelyn
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was actually very interesting to me. On top of teaching children about letters and the alphabet, they also get to learn about America. It's like two for the price of one. I learned a lot from reading this book and I was very intrigued. It says that it is for ages 5-7 which I felt was a little young, I would have felt like maybe 7-11 would have been more appropriate.
Rebecca Brandes
This book is PACKED full of information! There is a sentence that corresponds with the alphabet, but there is also extra information on the sides of the page. The facts help students gain a deeper knowledge of the time of Thanksgiving. Great book that can help differentiate learning!
Teri
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
Long--but you can choose whether to read the short rhyming verse or to read the elaboration.
Marilyn
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A Thanksgiving alphabet book. Each letter has a detailed paragraph about something related to the history of the holiday.
Autumn
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
G = a great creator? Why didn't they just use the word God for the letter G? It doesn't make any sense.
Sally
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love A-B-C books, and this is a great one for Thanksgiving. Beautiful illustrations, rhyming text, and additional information about the origins of Thanksgiving and its traditions.
Mary
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A fun way to learn about Thanksgiving
Maggie