Start by marking “Literary Trips: Following in the Footsteps of Fame” as Want to Read:
Literary Trips: Following in the Footsteps of Fame

Literary Trips: Following in the Footsteps of Fame

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"The excitement of finding something strange consists precisely in noting its strangeness," says Paul Bowles in the foreword. In his final bit of writing before his death, Bowles hit on the driving force that impels the best travel writers: the urge to tell someone about their trips. In this book, they find the opportunity, bringing readers along on their journeys to place ...more
softcover, 362 pages
Published April 30th 2000 by GreatestEscapes.com Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Trips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Trips

GoldGato
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-round, travel, essays

We spend far too much time in shuttered rooms.
- Bruce Chatwin

Here is the idea of the book: Take famous writers, focus on the cities and countries they loved best, and then write about those places while also providing in-depth essays on each author. Use a little pegasus symbol that changes with the continent (Asia, for example, gets a winged elephant) and moves across the globe by literary work. I can go for that, yes can do.

Paul Bowles gets it all going, which is perfect as he was the one who f
Jim Townsend
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent though a little dated (1999), this book is an interesting read for book and travel lovers. It is divided into six parts, each listing a particular region of the world (such as Africa/Middle East; Yucatan Peninsula, North America East, North America West. England/Ireland, and continental Europe). Each chapter is an essay spotlighting one or two authors who wrote their greatest works in or were inspired by a particular region. At the end of each chapter is practical travel information: w ...more
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have not actually read the whole book but I did read the parts regarding my favorite authors and the area I plan to travel to this summer. It was better than I expected and I really did enjoy it. It is a great book for anyone who likes to know a little history about authors and the area they are from or influenced by. I enjoyed the photos and fun sketches and the length of the information on each author/area is just about right for someone who likes to know a little about a lot of things. I am ...more
Mark
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's less I like in the book than there is. I might say there is less to like about the book, but then my tastes do not run the fair gamut that the book really takes (to be fair). However I found myself setting it down for days at a time without going back. When I did, eventually I ended up just cherry-picking the chapters about the writers I DO like in here. I need big dose of fiction so Mr. Eco pulled me away. Sorry, but this book did not & could not win the tug of war.
Rick
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Good concept - have authors write travel essays about the places that famous authors are famous for. It mixes biography and travelogue. As is usually the case when you have a compilation, the quality of the chapters vary considerably. Undoubtedly you will find a few chapters you'll love, as I did, and will also be bored by others. The book did make me want to visit some places that I had never known about, so for that alone, it was worth the read.
Beth
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
I've given up on finishing this after such a long time. Some of the essays were really interesting, but many were hard to get through for various reasons -- repititous or not well written or just not very interesting. Just not as good as I'd hoped.
Eric Miller
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a chapter in this book, the one on Ayn Rand and New York. Even if I didn't write it, I'd tell you how happy I am with the way it turned out!
Anissa
I'm a fan of travel writing & this was a great book of literary history. Donating now as I'm clearing bookshelves for a move.
Missy
This is a book you read a section at a time not one you read cover to cover. It is an intersting way to learn a bit of biography and geographic history at the same time.
Van
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is like a travel guide with restaurants and hotels to stay in when trooping around places where authors wrote, drank and dined. It was a fun read.
carl  theaker
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: outdoorz

A fun genre, follow a writer in their old haunt. Have taken advantage of a few of the trips. Trouble with these lists I want to do them all. Wish there was a Steinbeck chapter.

Christopher
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Didn't think it would be good, but ended up really enjoying it. A sort of travel guidebook with a literary bent.
Andy
Mar 23, 2011
Christina
Apr 22, 2011
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This had an interesting premise—essays about a few famous authors' favorite places (or the places most associated with them) and accompanying travel info, including details on how to get there ("there" being England, Cuba, Canada, Jamaica, New Orleans, etc.), places to stay, attractions in the area, and useful tips. This book was published in 2000 so it is quite dated. There are airlines recommended that don't exist anymore, hotels that have transitioned into different hotels into abandoned buil ...more
John Lyman