Start by marking “Reluctant Medium (Rachel Blackstone #1)” as Want to Read:
Reluctant Medium (Rachel Blackstone #1)

Reluctant Medium

(Rachel Blackstone #1)

All Rachel Blackstone wanted was to talk with her dead father. Using a Native American ceremony given to her by a shaman, she summoned him. Instead, a soul intent on revenge slipped through. Now the Santa Fe reporter must follow the evil spirit, uncover its purpose and send it back. The shapeshifter has horrific powers and threatens the people she loves. There’s more on he ...more
ebook
Published October 26th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctant Medium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctant Medium

Start your review of Reluctant Medium (Rachel Blackstone #1)
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri by: Making Connections
I totally enjoyed reading “The Reluctant Medium,” and am thankful to see it is a series, so I can look forward to more. A very fast-paced story, yet there are pauses for the reader to recuperate, while the protagonist enjoys her friendships-long-term as well as new and budding-and takes time out to think through the situation in which she has, completely inadvertently, immersed herself and others.

Rachel Blackstone, a reporter, left Santa Fe when she left her husband, moving to Tulsa and experien
Laurie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast fun read!

This story transported me to Sante Fe, the culture, the colors, the people. A mix of the mysterious and paranormal , I liked both the storyline and the characters. I will definitely be reading more in this series.
Simon
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Blackstone has fled from her home in Santa Fe leaving behind her job after the death of her father. He died in a mysteriously in a car accident and now, she is looking for answers. Using a ceremony she learned from a Hopi shaman, she tries to raise his spirit to get the answers. Unfortunately, the ceremony does not go that way and instead of raising her dad's spirit she raises a spirit who is up to no good. And on top of that, this spirit seems to know her family, specifically her brother ...more
Bette
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Rachel Blackstone is a believer in Native American lore, she believes that the dead can be brought back to this plane of existence. Following her father’s death with its questions and police non-conclusions of the cause. Rachel attempts to bring her father back so she can talk with him and get answers. Instead, she brings back an evil entity who was once Mario Pena. In a rush to protect her brother and friends from the evil of Mario she rushes back to Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Every life has adversit
Lee Ann
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad business in New Mexico

I like Rachel. Her life is a bit of a mess. Dead Dad, bad brother, nasty spirit she brought from hell. With help from friends, she prevails.
I’m reading books set in New Mexico for a planned visit. Rachel drives all over Santa Fe. Real streets, restaurants, neighborhoods are included in the story.
I have books 2 & 3, ready to read next.
Natalie
Is a good book. :/

Is a good book with a lot of potential. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd are better. I wanted to be more supernatural.
DelSheree
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Losing her father changed Rachel's life. The circumstances surrounding his death left her confused and alone. Her marriage provided no comfort, and her only brother prefers not to have anything to do with her. In the end, Rachel runs from everyone and everything. Loneliness has its limit, though, and Rachel finds herself turning to avenues she doesn't understand, unleashing power she has no idea how to control or stop.

The basic premise of this book was very intriguing. I liked the idea of someo
Sandy Grissett
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book is about Rachel who is a journalist who wants to determine the cause of her father's death. Only to discover that instead of bringing her dad back from the dead she has brought back Mario who is evil. She goes back to Texas where her brother Chris lives. Chris is the mayor and is going through a divorce. Rachel moves in with her best friend Chloe. Rachel goes back to work with Julius, her ex-boss, as a journalist. She starts to work on a story that Mario does not want her to i
Cheryl
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tale of mystery and intrigue

I love tales of the spooky and paranormal. There are so many freaky things that occur in life that cannot be explained and G G Collins created an interesting and unique story that is great reading. The storyline flowed smoothly and each chapter transitioned painlessly. I look forward to the next adventure and you should give this first paranormal mystery with reporter Rachel Blackstone a try. You won't be disappointed.
Sharon Michael
Not a bad rainy day read but it could have been better. While not exactly a cozy, the main character, reporter-as-detective, didn't seem particularly consistent. Her actions continued further into what I call the "Bluebeard syndrome" (don't open that door!) as the book progressed and that made it difficult for me at times.

It also felt as if the paranormal aspect was somewhat inconsistent and used primarily as a way to move the plot forward rather than being an integral part of the storyline.
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
An enjoyable enough read. More thriller-like in some ways than I usually go for, which probably contributes to the rating (as in if it's your style, you're likely to rate it higher). I wish the native american elements had been more developed, as they're part of why I chose to download the book. But I did like the main character and would definitely be willing to read others in this series if I stumbled over them, even though I don't usually go for the supernatural ones. ...more
Mary Schildman
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paranormal mystery?

Never much of a paranormal reader however, this book combined great characters, beautiful scenery, love/respect of Native American lore, paranormal,a wolf, a cat and mystery in to a good what-where-why-who done it story. Will follow this author writings. Good job !
Joan
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book was well written and seems well structured. It certainly held my interest. The plot line involving her brother was a little predictable, but I enjoyed the depth of her characters, and the Native-American lore.
Teresa Johnson
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, moved pretty fast at the end, not really scary but it kept me interested.
michelle zimmerman
Apr 17, 2013
LAWonder10
May 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fly By Wire (Jammer Davis, #1)
  • Stealing Trinity
  • Evolution's Captain: The Dark Fate of the Man Who Sailed Charles Darwin Around the World
  • Mrs. Perivale and the Blue Fire Crystal
  • Mrs. Perivale and the Dragon Prince
  • Lost Gold of the Republic: The Remarkable Quest for the Greatest Shipwreck Treasure of the Civil War Era
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
  • The Wreck Of The Mary Deare
  • Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, the U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842
  • Sweet Masterpiece (Samantha Sweet #1)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Ghost of Harrington Farm (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 8)
  • The Ghosts of Oakleigh House (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 13)
  • The Maelstrom of the Leaf Academy (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 11)
  • The Creature on Crenshaw Road (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 9)
  • A Ghostly Ride in Gulfport (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 10)
  • The Ghost of Gabrielle Bonet (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 7)
G G Collins writes the Rachel Blackstone Paranormal Mysteries, the Taylor Browning Cozy Mysteries and young adult novels. Her love of mysteries began as a teen when she read “We Have Always Lived in the Castle” by Shirley Jackson. From that time on she loaded up on mysteries from the library: cozy, police procedural and romantic suspense. Later on, it was Stephen King who drew her attention. “That ...more

Rachel Blackstone (4 books)
  • Lemurian Medium (Rachel Blackstone #2)
  • Atomic Medium (Rachel Blackstone #3)
  • Anasazi Medium (Rachel Blackstone #4)

News & Interviews

“Allow the power to flow through you. Don’t try to capture it. You wish only to borrow it.” 12 likes
“The wolf turned to Rachel. She was afraid to run, afraid fleeing would make it chase her. Somewhere in the stored files of her mind, she remembered one should not look directly at a menacing dog, but she couldn’t take her eyes from it.” 4 likes