Start by marking “Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)

Cloak

(Star Trek: Section 31 #1)

They are the self-appointed protectors of the Federation. Amoral, shrouded in secrecy, answerable to no one, Section 31 is the mysterious covert operations division of Starfleet, a rogue shadow group committed to safeguarding the Federation at any cost. Once, in order to preserve the galaxy's fragile balance of power, Captain James T. Kirk carried out a dangerous mission
Mass Market Paperback, 211 pages
Published July 2001 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Cloak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloak

Charles
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good story. The author got the details right on the characters and there were some nice touches linking to the series. Exciting work.
Annemarie (The Book & the Owl)
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Very, Very Hardcore Completist Star Trek Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri's Gift?
As best I can remember this was passed on to me by a friend--I'm a big Star Trek fan from childhood and particularly a Kirk fan, and this promised to feature him prominently given the picture of him on the cover. It also deals with an intriguing aspect of the Trek universe added on by Deep Space Nine--Section 31--an irregular clandestine organization within Star Fleet. The problem is, although I appreciated how this novel fit in references to various episodes and tried to make sense of the chara ...more
Aron
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good,....real good! But don't go in thinking that you're gonna get a hard core section 31 adventure like we got in Abyss, Zero Sum Game, & Disavowed. The section 31 aspect is mostly pretty understated, but well implimented. Loved how the author used The Enterprise Incident (one of my favorite episodes) for back story. Not to mention the book was very well written & Perry nails the characters we all know & love. Highly recommended!
Crystal Bensley
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cool Section 31 story and I liked seeing the Romulan Commander again.
Christopher
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Bowne
Jun 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amateurish, with poor characterizations and many gaps. The author should've cut back on the extra sub-plots and done more with the main, incomplete one. This is the first in a themed series, which starts with the Star Trek ST:TOS (KIrk) time and crew. Hopefully, as I read the next (ST:TNG crew), the next author will do better.

Mrklingon
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice TOS introduction to Section 31. picked this up on one of the Trek discount sales - didn't know what to expect, but it was a nice "original Trek" story which only glanced off of Section 31 - I appreciated the subtle touch, as well as the great original series call outs and characterizations.
Eugene Van
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The section 31 series is a fun aspect for Star Trek fans. I like the idea of the conspiracy theory group working behind the scenes. It also keeps the optimistic line of Star Trek. Its a fun read if you like Star Trek.
Michael Stewart
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A major red herring re Dr. McCoy ruined this for me. His storyline took up about the book but was resolved in a sentence or two. ...more
Shannon Luchies
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book. SD Perry is VERY good with Star Trek (And Resident Evil too) and this is one of her better books. Kirk and the Enterprise crew investigate a mystery, there's a romance, and things get complicated. I enjoyed it, and I reread it often.
David Vogler
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Average Star Trek fiction. First in a series.
Darren
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like Star Trek. The whole concept is fascinating to me. When I heard there was a book about a secret organization within the Star Trek universe, not to mention within Starfleet, I had to get it. As much as I love Star Trek, I also love a good spy story. The mix of the two really had me anticipating this book.
So, long story short, this was good. Please note I did not say it knocked my socks off or was a definite must read. It was good. This first book in the Section 31 series deals with
Michael
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
After two rather disappointing novels (Rogue and Shadow), the Section 31 novels take a dramatic upturn in terms of quality and storytelling with S.D. Perry's third Trek novel in as mnay months, Cloak. Set firmly in Trek's third season, this novel does what the best Trek novels can and should do--take threads from various episodes and weave them into an interesting, intellignet story. The book succeeds in large part because we get to see some background to events that occur during the third seaso ...more
Adam Walker
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall a very good book. the author catches the tics and mannerisms of the famous guys like Kirk , Spock and McCoy perfectly.it really does feel like an episode of the original series.

Having said that,the story doesnt go many places. i understand this is just the first book in the a series but the overall threat of Section 31 isnt even fully explored and is barely mentioned. as is to be expected we only get fragments of the overall plan of Starfleets most sinister secret. which i suppose makes
John Carter McKnight
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Remarkably faithful to the original series: which means, it reads like 50 year old pulp sci-fi. Unlike a lot of tie-in novels, the writing's not bad. Not great: the voices don't really resonate. But not bad. However, the plot is errant nonsense, enough so to cause my disbelief's suspension to fail utterly.

The notion of Kirk confronting Starfleet's very black (in both senses of the term) black-ops unit is brilliant: there's so much that can be done with the premise. Unfortunately, none of it's d
J
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writer did an excellent job of tying into existing franchise material to give the story depth, complexity, and gravitas. This element was not over used either.

I could clearly hear the voices of Spock, Bones and Kirk. See the beautiful but opposing women. The text did a very welcome job combining the kitch of the 60s TV with the moral ambiguity of Section 31.

However, the latter was not fully realized, by design or omission the threat isn't even implied, it becomes subconscious bordering on ne
Diego Calefato
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good book. You really feel the characters from the original series come out in this novel. The wit and power of Captain Kirk really shows through. This book gives a better understanding of who and what Section 31 are and why they do what they do even if we do not agree. You must follow this with the Star Trek TheNext Generation Book follow-up to help put the pieces togetherness who and what Section 31 are. Should they exist? Is it ethical? These are questions you will need to ask yourself as y ...more
Steve
While this book has an interesting premise, borrowing from TOS, as well as DS9, and some elements from a Voyager episode, it falls flat. It doesn't progress very quickly, and the writing feels stilted. The plot twists, of which there are only a few, were usually telegraphed so that they didn't surprise, and other plot twists weren't a twist at all, if you kept the source material to hand. I find myself curious if the next Section 31 book is more of the same.
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A crisp, concise novel that doesn't outstay its welcome. Within its spartan page count, "Cloak" manages to retcon key plot points from DS9 and Voyager effortlessly into the storyline of the Original Series, while offering lashings of lovely character work with the Enterprise crew. To top it all off, there are a number of tense & exciting action set pieces to act as icing on the cake. An incredibly refreshing & enjoyable read.
Travis
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Great original Trek vibe to this. Everybody sounds right.
This ties in with several TV show episodes, but if you don't know that it doesn't hurt the story at all.
Nice suspense element, as you don't know who to trust or how deep the mystery goes.

I love the Section 31 idea. Too bad it never got past it's 'evil conspiracy' phase, because it has a lot of potential to give us a different kind of Trek story.
Wayne Highsmith
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Eh....Intriguing at times. The Romulan Commander presence is wasted and Section 31 is a mere background story. Not what I thought I was gonna get. I don't think Kirk would think it was his job to monitor Starfleet Black Ops and the McCoy Illness subplot....What was that all about? I sensed some Liberal Undertones in this story. But what can I say. Trek has been all but hijacked by the left anyways. All in all. A decent read.
Melissa Dolson
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Over all it was simple, but still enjoyable. I like these books ( series book) because it is like reading and episode. Most story lines end nice and neat, there are references to the show and other start trek "history" and the characters are always familiar. The downside to it being like an episode- it sort of wraps up TOO nicely - with some story lines being written off in a single sentence. But over all, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next Section 31- TNG.
Jenny T
A decent Trek book, if not particularly memorable. The pacing was a bit off, and the plot (slightly-mad Federation scientist willing to go too far in the name of progress) has been done before. But there's a nice cameo appearance by the Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident -- it was good to see her again and learn what happened after the Original Series episode.
Matthew Kresal
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better Star Trek books I've read. Solid characterizations of the original series cast during its third season that builds on elements of a couple of the better episodes from that season. It also brings in Section 31 as well as a fleshing in the backstory of an episode of Voyager. A solid Trek book and a prime example of how to use continuity but tell a brisk, excellent story as well.
Angela
The Enterprise comes across an out of control starship on the way to a science conference. Everybody is dead on it, and it leads Kirk to a huge conspiracy within the Federation. This is a decent plot and its fun working out whose side everybody is on. The author knows the characters well too. A good read.
Read1000books
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Kirk runs into Section 31, a two century old but little known, autonomous sub-section of Starfleet Intelligence, staffed by a small number of covert operatives acting independently of any other authority to seek out, identify, and quietly deal with potential dangers to the Federation. Another good ST read.
David
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was alright but... Not great, the author spent a lot of time on a side-plot about Dr. McCoy that really made no sense to be there and the personal interaction between people along with the internal dialog for Kirk was off somewhat too.

Its a short book though, so, you don't have to deal with the issues all that long.
Euftis Emery
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
My favorite book out of the Section 31 series because it showed the breadth of the organizations influence across the Federation and their single-minded ruthlessness to protect it by murdering it's own citizens.
Shakib
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
writing wasn't very good
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Star Trek: The Dominion War, #1)
  • The Sundered (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2298)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Dark Victory (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #2)
  • Echoes and Refractions (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #2)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
SD Perry (Stephani Danelle, by the way, though she prefers SD or Danelle) has been writing novelizations and tie-ins for most of her adult life. Best known for her work in the shared multiverses of Resident Evil, Star Trek, and Aliens, SD is a horror nerd and an introvert. Her father is acclaimed science fiction author Steve Perry. SD lives with her family in Portland, Oregon.

Star Trek: Section 31 (6 books)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Disavowed (Star Trek: Section 31)
  • Control (Star Trek: Section 31)