Start by marking “Shutter Island” as Want to Read:
Shutter Island

Shutter Island

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  140,466 ratings  ·  7,676 reviews
The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this remote and barren island, despite having been kept in a locked cell under constant surveillance. As a kil ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published April 27th 2004 by HarperTorch (first published April 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Shutter Island, please sign up.
Joker Absolutely!! The book will make you understand the movie much better.
beside the movie did not show the whole story.
Todd Yes and no. Some plots twist, yes, but the book grants for more twists and turns than the movie. There were a few things taken out of the movie that…moreYes and no. Some plots twist, yes, but the book grants for more twists and turns than the movie. There were a few things taken out of the movie that might interest you. You haven't seen it in a while which is good so hopefully the story would feel new to you again. And the ending was slightly changed in the movie, in my opinion. (less)

·  140,466 ratings  ·  7,676 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Ashecliffe Hospital sat on the central plain of the island's northwestern side. Sat begnignly, I might add. It looked nothing like a hospital for the criminally insane and even less like the military barracks it had been before that. Its appearance reminded most of us, in point of fact, of a boarding school.

Teddy and Chuck are called out to the island to try and find out what happened to one of the inmates. She just escaped. There really isn't a way she could escape but there you have it.

The
Will Byrnes
I have read Mystic River, and this is no Mystic River. It is an interesting novel with a fun twist that I found unbelievable. Many think more of it than I did. I have not seen the film, so can offer no opinion on whether it is better or worse, faithful to the book or not. IMHO, it is LeHane light. feel free to skip it.

description
image, based on the film, drawn from the site Collider
Ahmad Sharabiani
Shutter Island, Dennis Lehane
Shutter Island is a novel by American writer Dennis Lehane, published by Harper Collins in April 2003. A film adaptation was released in February 2010. Lehane has said he sought to write a novel that would be a homage to Gothic settings, B movies, and pulp. He described the novel as a hybrid of the works of the Brontë sisters and the 1956 film Invasion of the Body Snatchers. His intent was to write the main characters in a position where they would lack 20th century
Bill
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The night I finished this, my mind was left reeling from it for a couple of hours and the next day I was unable to get it out of my head.

Shutter Island is a departure from the Kenzie/Gennaro series and
it's one of those novels that will certainly leave you pondering the whole story once you're finished it.
The less you know about the story, the better. Suffice it to say, this is an excellent read and there are very few novels I have read that made my head buzz for hours after.
Don't miss this, re
Gypsy

این دیگه چی بود!

اول فیلمش رو دیدم و گفتم کافی نیست. با اینکه محشر بود ولی خیلی ترغیب شدم کتابشو بخونم. برای کتاب هم باید بگم اول ممنون از مقدمه، مقدمه نبود من خیلی چیزا رو نمیفهمیدم. شخصیتپردازیهای عالی، پایانبندی فوقالعاده، دیالوگا. همش داشتم فکر میکردم این داستان قراره چطور تموم شه. بهنظرم پایانبندی براش خیلی سخته. که دیدم چقد هنرمندانه و استادانه تمومش کرد. آخ که چقد عالی بود همهچیش.
Mario
...he hated how fucked up and obscene the world and everything in it had become.

Well... fuck.

I decided to wait for at least one day before writing this review because I needed time to process this book. But even though more than 24 hours passed, I still haven't processed it even a bit.

Not in a long time did I read a book that grabbed me as Shutter Island did. When I was reading this book, and I had to put it down to do some other stuff, it followed me everywhere. When I wasn't reading it, I su
Maria Clara
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magistral! Una historia muy pero muy adictiva. Negra. Amarga. Creíble en su locura. Excelente.... Sin duda seguiré a este autor de muy cerca.
Lou
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Photobucket
An isolated island, a raging hurricane, a locked room, secret codes, a mental hospital, and rumors of mysterious medical experiments frame the story. Written in a very different style compared to Lehane's previous novels Mystic river and Gone baby gone. The plot is not the simplest of plots, i was scratching my head intrigued because the story flips through past present and surreal. It is a disorienting, complex story grounded in the reality of the times...cold war USA in 1954. From pondering o
Paul
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another in your face, gritty, and extremely well written book by Dennis Lehane. He does such a great job with character development and keeping things smoothly developing from its origins. Very well done.
Mariah Roze
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book for my hometown book club. Surprisingly, I have never heard of Shutter Island, but now after reading this book I will have to check out the movie too.

I was hoping for this book to be much better than it was. Even after reading it I feel it could have been but there were soooo many twists and turns I couldn't keep up. I love when books catch you by surprise or completely change. However, this book was not executed well and had too many twists and turns that the author didn't exec
Carol
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I honestly thought my opinion of this book would be greatly influenced by my having seen the film, but it wasn't. I was completely blown away reading this one. This was probably one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. I loved how I got confused and then thought I figured it out, but then was totally confused all over again, until right near the end, at which point everything came to light.
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did Bird Box or Dark Matter mess with your brain ? Ha ! This one is the best. Total mind melt. I had no idea it was a movie. I can't wait. I loved this book and I love Dennis Lehane as a new author I have found. How do they think about that stuff? Are they crazy? I couldn't sleep at night. It's that good and eerie. Shudder !!

I highly recommend for eerie suspense with lots of twists and turns
Dem
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
What a terrific supense novel by Denis Lehane. Even though I had seen the movie many years ago I had always wanted to read the book and was so glad I did as I had forgotten the plot anyhow and the book proved to be so well written and intriguing that it had me on the edge of my seat.

The novel is set of the Massachusette's coast in an army facility turned hopital for the criminally insane. This book is full of twists and turns and really packs a punch. I loved the fact theat the author at the ver
Hossein
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هرگز فکر نمیکردم که این کتاب رو در دوره آموزشی خدمت سربازی بخونم.
حدود صد صفحه این کتاب رو ساعت دو و نیم بعد شب در حال گشت زنی در وسط بیابونای بیرجند خوندم زمانی که هوا نزدیک به 10 درجه بود و انواع جک و جونورهای موذی هم در رفت و آمد بودند.
خوندن این کتاب پشت سیم خاردار حال عجیب تری داره .
توصیفات نویسنده و شخصیت پردازیش فوق العاده است. همچنین پیچش داستانی انتهای کتاب واقعا غیرمنتظره بود.
اگر هنوز نخوندینش حتما توصیه میشه و حتما حتما حتما اگه میخواید برید سراغ نسخه سینماییش اول بخونیدش.
4.5/5
Jason Koivu
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Good lord, I was not expecting that! Heck of a good read, in my book!

Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island started off well for me and my tastes. Federal Marshals going into an insane asylum/prison on an inescapable island in Massachusetts during post-WWII to find a missing crazy woman, who apparently escaped. Love the setting, the characters, everything!

From here on out this review contains all kinds of spoilers, so you just stop right here, Miss I-Haven't-Read-This-But-Plan-To.

description

The set-up story roped
Emma
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well. I've only recently started reading a bit more in the thriller genre than I have in decades and I think it's safe to say I'm out of practise! This book was SO SO good, I can't tell you. About half way through I felt I had had enough *thrilling* for the day and put the book down. Tried to read something else...my mind kept coming back to it...picked it up again....got spooked....walk away Emma, walk away...it's getting late, it's dark, it's raining hard...the lunatics are taking over the asy ...more
Bill Khaemba
UPDATE: THE MOVIE ADAPTATION WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECTION
“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?”

mind blown reaction supernatural wtf fuuu
Literally my face during some parts of the book

Oh man! Oh man! It's 1:30 am on 13th July 2016 and I have just finished this book 5 min ago and holy fuck that was a ride. I can't control myself, I literally feel like lying on the floor and just let everything that I have read sink in.

I have been reading a lot of good books lately but I had yet to come across an a
Erin
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thriller A Thon: Revisit an author or book.

Jar of Death Pick # 11(7th finished)

I tried to read this book years ago but after about 50 pages I lost interest. I broke my rule in this case because I watched the movie first. I have seen every Leonardo DiCaprio movie so I just decided to see the movie and then eventually get around to the book.

Flash Forward 10 years I finally read the book!

First can we all agree that Shutter Island is a great name for a spooky book.

Shutter Island takes place on S
Richard
Dennis Lehane took a big leap in his work with this first novel following his stunner of a masterpiece, Mystic River, tackling a period piece for the first time, with a story that somehow both narrowed and widened his scope. It's about two U.S. Marshalls stuck on a job at an island-based criminal asylum, tracking down an escaped convict during a dangerous hurricane.

I haven't read this in a while but I remember it being such a great example of a popular best-seller that fully deserved the attent
Camie
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veteran US Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner Chuck Aule are called to Shutter Island on assignment to find a murderess who has escaped from Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane, and is loose on the island. Of course, it's during a violent hurricane, which lends the book it's " it was a dark and stormy night" factor along with other strange happenings . This book was a runner up for 2011 Goodreads Thriller /Suspense award.This is not my usual genre, but especially if you missed t ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Two U.S. Marshalls have been dispatched to Shutter Island - a location much like Alcatraz which houses an inescapable fortress for insane prisoners. The job of the partners is to find a female patient/murderer who has disappeared, while also having the unfortunate timing of having to battle a hurricane simultaneously. What the duo initially came to investigate and what they actually end up discovering are VERY different things.

I read
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
“The brain controls pain. It controls fear. Sleep. Empathy. Hunger. Everything we associate with the heart or the soul or the nervous system is actually controlled by the brain. Everything. What if you could control it?”
― Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island

…..so what exactly is going-on on this island???

1954, Federal Marshal Edward “Teddy” Daniels, WWII vet, and his new partner Chuck Aule are assigned to investigate the disappearance of a woman from a federal penitentiary for the criminally insane on
Charlotte May
I kind of ruined this for myself having already seen the film. Despite this, the book was suspenseful and exciting - I really believed the unreliable narrator and thought it was incredible how the story unraveled and then twisted at the end. Each character was mysterious with both protagonistic and antagonistic qualities - I was never sure who was on the right or wrong side if there even were sides and who to trust - much like the main character felt I imagine. I got right into the heart of the ...more
AMEERA
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
absolutely 5/5
Simona Bartolotta
4.5

“There is no moral order as pure as this storm we've just seen. There is no moral order at all. There is only this—can my violence conquer yours?”

It turned out that the fact that I'd already seen the movie didn't spoil my reading experience at all. Short comment to come!
Raya راية
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

خمسة نجوم أخرى بجدارة

رواية على درجة عالية من العبقرية والتميّز...
تحبس الأنفاس..
مذهلة..
تجعلك تُعمل عقلك وتفكر كثيراً في كل كلمة وفي كل حركة وفي كل إشارة..
عبقرية بخوضها لمتاهات وأسرار العقل البشري..
رواية سيكولوجية.. سيكولوجية عقل المجرم!

من هو المجرم؟ هو ضحية جنون آخر.. هو ضحية رفض للواقع..
هو ضحية للحرب طاحنة.. حرب لم تكتفي بما سببته من دمار وموت.. وإنما قتلت الإنسان من الداخل.. قتلت وعيه وإدراكه!

فعلاً رواية عبقرية متميزة جداً..
على الرغم من أن هذه المرة الثانية التي اقرأها.. لكنني اكتشفت أشياءً جد
Omid Majidy Pour
هیچوقت فیلم، نمی تونه جای کتاب رو بگیره. با خوندن این کتاب، هرچه بیشتر به این نتیجه میرسه آدم
Annalisa
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and violence
I'm not even sure what to say about this book without giving anything away. US Marshal Teddy Daniels shows up at rocky island that's an asylum for the criminally insane to track a patient that disappeared from a locked cell. While on the island, he gets the sense that the doctors are hiding something and sets out to obtain evidence that they are experimenting illegally on patients. As Daniels uncovers secrets, you become more confused about what is actually happening at the hospital.

I'm vague to
José
Reseña en español en el blog: Click Aquí

Shutter Island is an amazing and fast-paced thriller. There isn't much I can say about this book without spoiling it, trust me: the least you know about what this book is about, the better.

What I enjoyed the most about this book was the characters and the amazing setting. Two detectives are sent to investigate a mental institution on an isolated island, which gives this story a very sinister tone. Both Teddy and Chuck (the main characters) were awesome fro
Kaora
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've never seen the movie, but I had a general idea of what happened due to seeing certain scenes while my husband was watching.

Shutter Island is the story of U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule who are sent to Shutter Island. Shutter Island is the place for the insane, who are a danger to others. The people here have committed horrible atrocities, and one of these people Rachel Solando has escaped. Rachel drowned her three children. As a story bears down on the island Te
The last three pages 44 751 Nov 25, 2018 01:47PM
MJC 18S502: Shutter Island 1 3 Mar 18, 2018 05:53AM
Around the Year i...: Shutter Island, by Dennis Lehane 7 90 Sep 30, 2017 05:41AM
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane 10 23 Jun 09, 2017 11:10AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Prince of Thieves
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Bottoms
  • Shutter Island
  • The Straw Men (Straw Men #1)
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • A Simple Act Of Violence
  • The Church of Dead Girls
  • Blood: The Last Vampire 2002
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole, #8)
  • Primal Fear (Vail/Stampler #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • A Simple Plan
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?” 180 likes
“He wanted to ask her what sound a heart made when it broke from pleasure, when just the sight of someone filled you the way food, blood, and air never could, when you felt as if you'd been born for only one moment and this, for whatever reason, was it.” 141 likes