Start by marking “Three Wishes” as Want to Read:
Three Wishes

Three Wishes

What would you do if you had three wishes?With this tantalizing premise, bestselling author Barbara Delinsky delivers a love story wrapped up in a modern-day fable that will melt even the hardest of hearts as it restores faith in the possibility of magic in the miracle of everyday life.

The book opens on the first blizzardy night of winter, in a small town in Vermont. Slipp
Published December 31st 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Three Wishes, please sign up.

Teresa Cameselle
Me he llevado un disgusto muy gordo con este libro. No se puede etiquetar como romántica lo que es una novela sentimental con un final terriblemente dramático. La novela es muy bonita, está muy bien escrita, y transmite mucho sentimiento, pero ese final, propio quizá de los 90, la década en la que la autora lo escribió, es demasiado doloroso, y por eso le he bajado la puntuación.
Jaime Atkins
I really like Barbara Delinsky's writing. However, I was disapointed with the outcome of this book. NOT just because it had a sad ending, but because she had the opportunity to show that love could overcome even the worst of circumstances. The three wishes were given to Bree as a gift of more time since her life had been tragically taken from her. I think the story would have been better if at the end, Bree realized that the wishes were not real, but rather the joy that comes from reaching out ...more
Becky
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the most emotional book I have ever read. Was so different from your "happily ever after" romance novels. A very unexpected ending. I am glad I read it, but wouldn't read it again, because I know the ending. If you like heavy emotional other than the just sex and romance, read this!! One of her best!!
Kellie
Jan 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to explain why I only gave this book one star without giving away some of the major parts of the story. The book is well-written but I was very un-satisfied by the end of it and finished it thinking "WHAT!!!????"
Judy Churchill
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was ready to write this book off as sheer fluff, but persisted for a while longer. It captured me fiercely and I cried my eyes out the last two chapters. It is touching, tender and is filled with redemption. It is heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. Read it.
Janna
Oct 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the most predictable book I've read in ages. I knew by the fourth chapter exactly how it would end - and I was completely accurate. I only picked this up because I read "While My Sister Sleeps," and liked it. But, I don't think I'll read more of this author.
Julie Barrett
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three wishes by Barbara Delinsky
Have read other works by this author and have loved the books.
This one starts out in Panama, VT and we find Bree Walker leaving the diner she works at, walking home but she's hit.
She wakes up in the hospital with dreams of being given three wishes before she dies for good, out of body experiences that I'm not sure I believe it, interesting to learn about.
Tom Gates is the man who rescues her and he is there to help in any way he can as she recuperates. He's soul s
Tina Newcomb
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Not one of my favorite Barbara Delinski books. I usually get so engrossed in her stories, I can't put them down. This one was just okay.
Wes
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't properly say how bad this book is. The female lead is a waitress in a small New England town who has done nothing with her life and plans to spend the rest of her life there as a waitress, with no family and no romantic prospects.

The male lead is a world famous author and lawyer. Tall, handsome, wealthy, but ashamed of a past that makes it possible for Tom and Bree to get together (how else would a man of this caliber fall for a waitress approaching middle age tucked away in the middle o
Jenny T.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny T. by: Bob of S&S
Shelves: romance
A romance set in a small town of Vermont linking diner waitress, Bree Miller, and novelist, Tom Gates. The story seemed repetitious at times- exploring near death experiences and family themes. Overall it had a very positive message and the author did a nice job describing the passing of seasons in a New England setting.
Aretha Renia
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it is so romantic and moving. It has a story line that keeps you reading, and when that third wish was granted my heart ached. This is truly a tale of giving everything for love.
Brenda Wharton
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Bree, small-town girl who works in the local diner. She’s involved in a car accident and has a near death experience. She believes that she was sent back to earth and was granted three wishes before she will die again. Tom, A recent transplant to the town, witnesses the accident feels responsible. He helps her through her recovery and ends up falling in love with her. Should she use her wishes to make their life better? Will she really die after the third wish?
Rho
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
This was a one day book. I do not usually read Delinski - picked this book up at a $1 sale - it was so engrossing I could not put it down. The plot is gripping and catches you from the first page. The characters are likeable and well developed. Sadly you almost know from half way how it will end. A real tear jerker that you will remember long after reading it.
Janice Llewellyn
I knew early on how this story would end, but kept reading it, hoping I was wrong. I liked the characters, and hoped they would live happily ever after together. So I wasn't surprised when they don't. I really don't enjoy sad, depressing books. Delinsky wrote fairly well, but she continues to use all the usual cliches and doesn't hold much in. Alll in all, this book wasn't the worst I have read, but certainly wasn't the best.
Emily Higgins
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Morefield
Three wishes by Barbara Delinsky was a sweet Christmas read. Very predictable but nice. The kind of book I enjoy reading over the Christmas holidays. I like Barbara Delinsky as an author. I've read a few by her and have never been disappointed.
Kristina Liebute
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
The only thing you'll remember about this book is the ending. And not in a good way.
It is a soap opera on paper, a cliche-stuffed romance, and that is okay, if you're into that kind, but the problem is that it tried to impersonate a serious novel. And that just doesn't work. That's the main reason why everyone's pissed at the ending. Not soapy enough for a soap opera.
Quite early on it becomes crystal clear, what the author is trying to achieve, but you read on and watch that effort burst into fl
Dana B. Bancroft
Enjoyable but uneventful

It was a pleasant read. You fall in love with the characters. However, there’s not much of a plot and not much happens. I did appreciate some of the thoughtful reflections and the message.
Jacqueline
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
could not finish it Too much syrup.
Shirley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me sobbing near the end! But, I know if given 3 wishes, I may have made the same choices.
MARGIE KRUEGER
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was one of the best ones I have read in a while although parts were hard to take. The characters were awesome.
Addyangel
3.5
I didn't appreciate the ending. It didn't wrap up as expected and took way too long to tie up the extra loose ends. I never read Delinsky before, and I would try another one for sure.
Melva Clark
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was areal love story. You liked the characters and wanted the best for them. The end shouldn't have been a surprise but it was. There is an author interview at the end.
Christina Guarneri
Love

This is my 2nd time reading this book. It's filled with love, you will smile and you will cry. It shares complicated life and sunshine after the rain.
Ginny Thurston
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing in this book...description,setting,very real and interesting characters...I really enjoyed it and will say no more because I do not want to give anything away.
Allyson
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was different from her usual writing- teary, tender, near death experience, love.
Robyn
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
be careful what you wish for!
jennifer
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written! Absolute favorite book of all time, for me! I've read it three times and it gets me everytime!
Debby
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Intense - not a happy ending - but very well done. Stayed up to 3 am to finish!
ChrisGA
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-read-2017
Sweet story of second chances and family bonds. The three wishes keep you guessing g until the end. Very emotionally-wrenching.
  • Mine at Midnight
  • Dream Country
  • Ready for Love (Ready for Romance & Ready for Marriage)
  • About Face
  • Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)
  • Wolf Tales 10: Adam (Wolf Tales #10)
  • Always and Forever
  • Bygones
  • Desolation Road
  • With Song (Dolan Brothers, #3)
  • Thorns of Truth (Garden of Lies, #2)
  • Maggy's Child
  • Restless Hearts (The Flanagans, #6)
  • Accidental Happiness
  • A McKaslin Homecoming (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #5)
  • Three Weeks in Paris
  • Firebird
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
“Clear water sped over rocky clusters whose colors ran from ivories to mossy greens, blues and grays. Though clouds covered the sun, the sway of dappling evergreens gave the water sparkle.” 3 likes