Start by marking “Corona” as Want to Read:
Corona

Corona (Star Trek: The Original Series #15)

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  662 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
An awesome force of protostars known as Corona has taken control of a stranded team of Vulcan scientists. The Starship Enterprise* has come on a rescue mission, with a female reporter and a new computer that can override Kirk's command. Suddenly, the rescuers must save themselves and the entire universe before Corona unleashes a Big Bang.
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Corona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corona

Joel
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, trek
I really liked this one. This felt more like a real sci-fi novel and less like a "Star Trek book". I haven't read any Greg Bear before this, I may have to check out some of his other work.
Charles
The Enterprise is on a mission to rescue a Vulcan science team on an asteroid where they are observing some protostars as they evolve to full status as a star. The Enterprise contains the regular crew and some significant additions. Mason is a female reporter who grew up on a small planet where prejudice against non-humans was prevalent. She is along to chronicle the performance of the monitors, which is a set of computer program created using the knowledge and experience of experts in several ...more
Killarney Traynor
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Summoned by a 10-year-old distress signal, the Enterprise rushes to the Black Box Nebula Station One to rescue a team of scientists lead by Spock's cousin, T'Prylla, and her family. Hampered by the presence of an inexperienced young reporter and a new computer system that has the power to over-ride Kirk's command, they arrive at Station One only to find that all seems well - on the surface. But T-Prylla, her family, and the team are being controlled by a sentient force - a force that threatens t ...more
Mike Crate
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
A call for help from a decade past has the Enterprise venturing into a region of space where new born stars are abundant in search of a Vulcan led research facility. What they find is at first a miracle of ingenuity and perseverance but things are not quite what they seem and the Vulcans are not behaving as they should. To complicate matters the Enterprise is carrying new oversight systems designed to monitor medical and command decisions, a hindrance or a god send it has yet to be decided.
Coron
Craig
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Dumb, just dumb. I really didn't like this book. Despite the author's claim in the Acknowledgements that "he is a Trekkie" he seems to really only understand the technical side of things and not the essence of what Star Trek is. His additions of technology which have never been seen before or heard from again do not fit into the universe and create unnecessary detriments to the plot. The story was weak and for the life of me I can't figure out why they even had some relatives of Spock's on the s ...more
cardassiana
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is only a word to define this book : useless…The story revolves around reviving a group of 30 dead vulcans.( May a quote Lost ? What is dead stays dead!)It’s a long boring discourse about ,ethical , legal and pratical problems.Also the original characters are conventional almost obvious.It left me so cold that i didn’t finish it ….
John
It's always a treat to read a STAR TREK novel written by a real, legitimate SF author. A lot of STAR TREK books from the 70's and 80's feel like glorified fan fiction, but CORONA is not one of them. The whole thing feels very cinematic, reminding me more of the early STAR TREK films than the original TV series. And it's always nice to see such ambitious plotting, even when the book becomes a little too ambitious for its own good.
The deviations from established canon are distracting. I like the i
Dan
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tos, e-books
Corona was penned by Greg Bear, who has had quite a literary career since the publication of this book back in 1984. He has become a distinguished and popular writer of science fiction, thus far having written a total of 44 books. Unfortunately, Corona is his only foray into the world of Star Trek as a writer. In 2010, Pocket Books reissued Nightshade by Laurel K. Hamilton, who had become famous for her series of vampire novels. I was somewhat disappointed that Pocket didn't instead re-release C ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it

I have read few Star Trek books, but back in 2012 on a Loncon 3 site visit I picked up three of them and have now finally got around to looking at them. It's a book that is great on incidental detail, but a bit light on plot (and the back cover of my edition spoilered the important question of Who Is Behind It All, a point not revealed in the book until more than half way through). Still, I've read enough Doctor Who books to know that the point is someti
Surreysmum
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1984, star-trek
[These notes were made in 1984. Read the NY: Pocket Books, 1984 ed.] A proto-intelligence - a being that has existed from the beginning of time - possesses a group of Vulcans on a research station, and uses their material and technical skills to prepare for another Big Bang. Meanwhile a somewhat xenophobic female reporter named Mason goes unexpectedly on a mission with an Enterprise crew already greatly disturbed by the imposition of computer monitoring devices which can overrule medical and com ...more
Victor
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Though set in the TOS era, the TOS cast takes a kind of a back seat. This will probably turn some people off, but I thought it was kind of nice. The characters who do get the spotlight are somewhat dull, but different enough from Kirk, Spock, etc. to not be a drag to read. Rowena Mason experiences the most change throughout the book, going from a sheltered xenophobe to being more accepting and humbled. It was a believable arc that probably could have been expanded on. The plot plays out like a m ...more
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Star Trek Reruns, Linda Mitchell
Haven't read this book for probably 25 years, but BY GOD I read it many times in my teen years. It was one of those gateway books to science fiction for me, back when I was, well, going through puberty. I think it's downstairs.

Greg Bear introduced himself to me at a Clarion West fundraiser a few weeks back (Headlined by NEIL FRELLING GAIMAN) and we had a great chat about science fiction, science fiction fandom, and being part of the world non-science fiction world. I mentioned that I got into s
Mike McDevitt
Jul 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
I have now read pages and pages with the words 'Ykbara radiation' on them and I'm not one step closer to knowing what that means. I guess it was a sort of Star Trek Vs. Solaris (a movie which, by implication, I hope you'll understand, did nothing for me).

Enterprise crew hamstrung by new and ill-advised advisor computers. McCoy's Magic Machines won't reconstruct the frozen dead from a Vulcan research station until he can convince the Monitors that they're only MOSTLY dead. Hick Reporter Girl and
Daniel Kukwa
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Another early entry in the Star Trek novel series, by another award-winning SF author. Greg Bear's love of hard SF concepts shines through, although he doesn't overwhelm the reader with his concepts. That said, like Vonda McIntyre's contribution, "Corona's" take on the Kirk universe isn't quite on the same level as our current understanding of the canon...it takes some interesting liberties. It also features very solid & charming characterization of the Enterprise crew, and some interesting ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Star Trek novel by the man Nobel laureate Doris Lessing called her favorite author. Bear shows his knowledge of science and Star Trek as he builds an entertaining and thoughtful story that feels a lot like one of the episodes of the series.

I must nitpick a bit about the way technology is being upgraded in this tale though. It seems a bit off considering the philosophy of the Federation as presented on screen. Still, Bear redeems himself somewhat by giving us fans many nice inside moments thro
Jay
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear does justice to the depth of the original series' characters. His treatment of science is as close to plausible as Star Trek science gets. I enjoyed this much more than Bear's later hard sci-fi hit Darwin's Radio. I will check out other novels from this series, but I have a feeling this is the best of them.
Jerry
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this book, because Greg Bear wrote Rogue Planet, easily one of the worst Star Wars Expanded Universe novels I ever read. However, Mr. Bear surprised me with this one; he did a great job. It's too bad that he didn't do any further novels in this franchise.
Felicia
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I know I've read this before, but I didn't remember any of it. The story, while not inspired, is acceptable. The deviation from canonical Star Trek technology is a little annoying (there are no fancy brain implants in the Enterprise command crew in the Star Trek universe). However, the ending was very very Star Trek. That, at least, was incredibly satisfying.
Charles
Pretty good. The science was well done, which you expect from Greg Bear. The ending wasn't that strong to me but it fit the book. This one kind of combined the plot of the Original Trek episode where they have a computer system take over the Enterprise to conduct war games, and the story of Vger from the first movie.
Kirk Harrington
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Especially enjoyed the character of the 'small-planet' journalist who has to overcome her prejudices with aliens. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are pretty much the main 'crew' characters in this one, though Chekov and Uhura play interesting roles. Love the contrasts made between the human and Vulcan cultures which becomes an important part of the story.
Cyl
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Shelves: sci-fi-horror
I love the original Star Trek novels and the early ones are very good. McCoy & Spock spar with one another while Kirk tries to maintain control of them. I would recommend this book to Star Trek fans.
Chantel
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
For a book with nothing in particular happening at any point in time, I thought it was very good. I loved the character development, and the fact that a guy can write about a woman and her perception of the men on board the ship is great to me. :)
Anyway, not bad. :)
Heather Domin
The premise was right up my alley, but the execution didn't do it for me. I'm not against playing with canon, but I didn't savor the flavor of the Vulcan stuff. The plot would've made a great TV episode, though.
Kevin
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Very well done for such an early Star Trek novel. Greg Bear has gone on to be a great writer, and this one gave us reason to believe he would become just that.
Judith Chelekis
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very old school Trek!
Paraskevi Oppio
This is the first ever Star Trek novel I ever bought and read.
Garry
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
10/27/2015
Nicolas
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
This might worked well as a standalone Sci-Fi novel, but it's just not Star Trek. That made it hard to read.
Mark
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characterisations and well written, but the plot was just a bit too unbelievable.
Ishki
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
The plot sounded good, but it just didn't come through.
  • The Abode of Life
  • Mutiny on the Enterprise
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • Enemy Unseen
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Romulan Way (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #2)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire