Start by marking “Last Light (Last Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Last Light (Last Light, #1)

Last Light

(Last Light #1)

It begins on a very normal Monday morning. But in the space of only a few days, the world's oil supplies have been severed and at a horrifying pace things begin to unravel everywhere. This is no natural disaster; someone is behind this.

Oil engineer Andy Sutherland is stranded in Iraq with a company of British soldiers, desperate to find a way home, trapped as the very
Published July 25th 2007 by Orion (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Light

Start your review of Last Light (Last Light, #1)
Chris Horsefield
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as good as I expected it to be.
I took two things away from this read. First cut off the oil supply and civilization collapses awfully fast (nobrainer on that). Second ..thank god for the second amendment.
Kiera Healy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a mad book about peak oil, so a good one for the conspiracy nutjob in your life. As the world's oil supplies are abruptly cut off, one somewhat ordinary family struggles to cope. Dad, an oil engineer, is trapped in Iraq whereupon he quickly goes into fight mode with a group of soldiers who use the word "smeg" in place of "fuck" (???). Mum's fate is worse, though: she's trapped in Manchester. Meanwhile, daughter is at uni and son is at school, and soon all their lives are thrown into ...more
Penelope
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book made me really think and also kept me awake worrying about stockpiling tinned food! It's an excellent thriller that keeps you turning the pages long into the night. Nice short chapters and fast paced writing an excellent choice for those who are wondering what might happen when the oil runs out. I believe the author is working on a sequel so I look forward to that.
F.R.
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This apocalyptic novel has a fascinating premise. One day the supply from the planet’s oil fields and the oil pipelines shuts down and as a result the world collapses into chaos. (In true H.G. Wells fashion, the book says ‘The World’ while concentrating on Britain and London – and a bit of Iraq). The roads are closed to conserve fuel, because there are no flights there is no more imported food which soon leads to riots in supermarkets and then on the streets, and man regresses and gives in to ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Andy Gibb
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a bloody good read in that it ticks all the thriller boxes. In particular it rattles on at pace, introduces twists and keeps you guessing to the end. On the downside the production of the book seems rather rushed (maybe to beat real life?) with some untidy writing but it's all perfectly readable.

My focus is on whether it's believable, especially in the light of my own researches into peak oil and collapse. For that is the “what if” here and my answer is a qualified yes, despite a touch

Fiona Brichaut
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. And when I wasn't reading it, I was worrying about what "was happening" and if the various characters "would be ok". In other words, total suspension of disbelief as I spent a few days tied to the story.

Scarrow writes with an immediacy that had me gripping the book in a tight hot hold, hardly daring to breath. I had this book for a long time and was put off by the 1-star reviews but once I started I was hooked. I liked the main characters, I liked the way Scarrow wasn't
Keith Currie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It's no work of literature but it is a more than passable thriller on a fascinating topic - what would happen if the world's oil production was suddenly halted. Good things include the focus on the family split across the country and across the world as its members attempt to reunite against a background of a collapsing society; not so convincing is the conspiracy group responsible for the collapse in the first place and their shadowy hit-man, Ash. I enjoyed this undemanding, but ...more
Kat
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
When it comes to post-apocalyptic novels, the ones I find I enjoy the most are the ones that are very real scenarios. Not that zombies or alien invasions aren't realistic scenarios (yep, I had to say that!), but natural disasters or man-made disasters such as the storyline of Last Light are the ones that scare me the most.

I first read Last Light in 2009 or 2010, but I've always wanted to go back and revisit it again, because as well as being entertaining, it's a book that carries a message - the
Keith
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
The premise is a well thought out exposition of the implications of the Peak Oil theory, that modern society survives solely by the plentiful supply of oil. The drama occurs when this supply is suddenly cut off. The Middle East, South American and Nigerian supplies are stopped and it's a matter of days before civilisation starts to fall apart.
The story follows the Sutherland family, Andy, a Peak Oil bore currently working in Iraq, Jenny, stuck in Manchester and their children, Leona and Jacob,
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action-thriller
This book WILL be the thriller of the year, its a cover to cover gripping what if that will suck you in and leave you thinking, wondering and probably a hell of a lot scared about just how fragile our modern lifestyle really is.
I dare any of you to read this book and finish it with a clear concience about your carbon footprint, to not check the cupboards to see what food you have in and to wonder if leaving the city might be an ideas...those programmes about a better life in the country will not
fivethousandbooks
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Mar 20 - I just finished reading a few chapters and I already want to stock my pantry with canned goods and barricade my door!

Mar 22 - I really enjoyed reading this book and I had nightmares the night I started reading it - I kept waking up and trying to remember how to survive if ever this situation happened. And I think at some point in our lives, maybe, it will.... And the catastrophic conditions that Scarrow described in his novel would be all too real.
Dan Jenkins
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book all of us should read. We all know the truth, but will not face up to it. We know it's going to happen and do nothing. I guess this is one of those instances where we know we probably won't be around to see it, but our children most likely will. It's a very important book, well written and difficult to put down. Read it and the next time you "gas up", think of Andy.
Jacob Salinas
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very sobering but (and this is hard to do) completely entertaining book that paints a very possible picture of the complete societal breakdown that would occur if oil production was suddenly and permanently disrupted across the globe. The characters are identifiable and the story is absolutely gripping. This book scared the crap out of me!
Jules
Just in case... A frighteningly plausible apocalytic scenario that I find myself revisiting on a regular basis. Books like this make me think I should stock up on tinned goods and bottled water and maybe do some combat training...you never know!
Penny
Jun 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was bad, and it should feel bad. This terrible book reads like a conspiracy theorists craziest fantasies. It reeks of a lonely man SO SURE of his theories. So many times in the book the wife thought "if only I had listened to my crazy husband!"
1brotherbill
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you think about going to the store and get some canned food. Maybe by a gun at the local sporting goods store. Maybe make you want to learn how to make soap or a pair of shoes. Honestly this book kind of scared me.
Cole Maynard
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book and in truth the first few pages were turned very quickly as I was drawn into the early chapters but then the title became true... the light started to go out! The story line lacked depth and could not escape poorly conceived characters that were both hard to like or believe in. Spoiler Alert below:

Andy, the main character, a self confessed geek and nerd becomes both a tower of strength, leading a platoon of soldiers with no military experience and overpowers an
Iona
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A promising start and pretty much right into the action. Sobering scenario of Britain in panic due to oil shortages. Not sure if it could ever happen but it's a scarey thought.

At last a book that I want to keep picking up and reading to see what happens next. The story is told from the perspective of 4 people and skips from one to the next, leaving a hanging moment each time. Building up the excitement by half way through and keeping you wanting more. It kept up until the end and didn't
Alfie James
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was a tough one to put down! I loved how it made me think about how we, as the world, rely so heavily on oil and consider the terrible effects it would have should it ever be taken away. This story is action packed, well paced but very sobering yet managed to keep me entertained and turning the pages.

I really hope this situation never becomes a reality. That would suck. I highly recommend this book.
Pam
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took a bit longer for me to get into it since there are several storylines going at once, but the pace picked up pretty quickly after all the characters were introduced. Overall, it was not as hard to put down as Lights Out, another STHF scenario, but this one has a different spin and style and was a fun and quick read.
Jan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scarily predictive. The oil WILL run out, it is a finite resource. Humans WILL PROBABLY react in the ways written in this book. We are all just mammals looking to survive. When trouble brews, families will stick together and fight for their very existence.
1984 has come to pass - should it now be classed as non-fiction?
Last Light will come to pass, too.
Chris
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read of what would happen if oil production stopped and how vulnerable we are as a society.

If 1984 was a warning of what could happen and what is happening now then Last Light is too.
Charlie Robertson
Two books in one

Definitely a thriller ..with social collapse ...written well ..but two books 1) fighting in Iraq, mixed up with the main story 2) vulnerable wife and daughter who brave far-sighted misunderstood man has to save
Richard Cheesman
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloody terrifying - a near future look at our dependence on oil for almost everything. A plausible scenario and the post apocalytic decay of modern society so dependent on our dwindling reserves. Great read, but uncomfortably so.
Stuart Bowes
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good Book, Great short chapters and a premise that is very relative. Fast paced and makes you think.
Rob
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: end-of-the-world
This was my first alex scarrow book, The end of the oil age, well the start of it, real eye opener, when you think about it.
David A.
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good book, but a bit long winded here and there.
elaine o'rourke
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, very gripping right from the start
John
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jayarrgh
Great thriller, like the way the plot is split into three. Looking forward to next sequel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• X Platoon
  • Mr. Nice
  • Found Wanting
  • The Death Pictures
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • The Woman Who Ran
  • Shadow Man
  • Smoke Screen
  • Unwanted (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #1)
  • Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)
  • Little Face (Spilling CID, #1)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried (Jasmine Sharp and Catherine McLeod, #1)
  • Lasting Damage (Spilling CID, #6)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes #2)
  • Tick Tock
  • Blowing the Bloody Doors Off: And Other Lessons in Life
  • Lukkas Erbe
  • Sacred Sierra: A Year on a Spanish Mountain
I live a nomadic existence with my wife Frances, and son Jacob. For now we're living in Norwich. I spent the first 10 years out of college in the music business chasing record deals and the next 12 years in the computer games business as a graphic artist and eventually a games designer. For those of you who like their computer games, here's some of the titles I've worked on:
Waterworld, Evolva, The

Last Light (2 books)
  • Afterlight (Last Light, #2)