Start by marking “The Trellisane Confrontation” as Want to Read:
The Trellisane Confrontation

The Trellisane Confrontation (Star Trek: The Original Series #14)

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews

The U.S.S Enterprise has rushed to war-torn Trellisane! Kirk is on the bridge of a Klingon warship, McCoy is dining with cannibals, and the ship is surrounded by Romulans. In the Neutral Zone, power is up for grabs. Now only the ingenuity and raw courage of the Enterprise crew can avert catastrophe!

Mass Market Paperback, 190 pages
Published September 1st 1989 by Pocket Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Trellisane Confrontation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trellisane Confrontation

Daniel Kukwa
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
I wanted to like this...and the back cover blurb promised so much high concept fun. Instead, I found a book where the regular characters felt off, there were too many plots fighting for attention within too small a page count, and just enough continuity fanwank to be irritating. It commits the worst offence I can accuse a novel of committing: it was disappointing. Luckily, Mr. Dvorkin's other "Star Trek" novels develop high concept ideas with more satisfying depth, and were far more to my taste. ...more
Joel
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, trek
I really liked this one, much bigger roles for Scotty and Bones (and Nurse Chapel). There were some blatant problems with some of the premises (like how everyone on the Enterprise reacted to the entire event) but if you pretend like there was some reason for all of that, the story was a fun and exciting one.
Jerry
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Another mediocre book in this series.
Jesse A
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The book was fine. Some mis-characterization towards the end but all in all pretty decent.
Skylar
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, star-trek
A good plot marred by a weak ending.
Mike Crate
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
The Enterprise is assigned to take some high value prisoners to a secure facility, they are a group dedicated to forcing a conflict between the Federation and Romulan Empire. During the pickup Captain Kirk is given access to a weak signal received from the planet Trellisane which is in a contested area of space. The message is vague and corrupted but seems to indicate a Klingon interest in the planet Sealon and the ongoing conflict between the two worlds. Kirk decides to investigate despite his ...more
Surreysmum
May 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1984, star-trek
[These notes were made in 1984:]. Another of the ST novels which uses the Federation-Klingon-Romulan triangle as a metaphor for the current 3-power situation, with Trellisane and its neighbour, Sealon, as third-world countries. Dvorkin is clearly interested in the morality of colonization, or even of supporting a culture morally repugnant to you. On Trellisane, McCoy discovers that the unusually delicious meat is actually the flesh of slaves. What saves all this from being over-earnest political ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly epic political thriller for Trekverse. David Dvorkin writes in his customary manner that is somewhat pessimistic for Star Trek, but manages to keep the overall tone close enough to the familiar ideology and contemplative note. His ideas are nowhere near as narrow as the ones expressed by Diane Carey in later Trek novels for example. And as many characters are given the center stage throughout the story and their characterization feels right, this is an intriguing and worthy additi ...more
Lee
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I must have read this years and years ago, since it was on my shelf of ST books. I've been feeling a hunger for reading something like Star Trek all week, so I grabbed this one at random.

I didn't like a lot of the "just-in-time" plotting, and the "brotherhood of starship captains" element was laid on pretty thick. On the other hand, I read it in something like two hours.

Someone once sneered to me that Star Trek books were like cotton candy for the brain. I happily agreed, and this one tasted O
Chantel
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I actually really liked the whole plot in this one. I like how it switched around from McCoy to Kirk and Spock, and then Nurse Chapel got her own spotlight, which is nice. I LOVE the main characters, and I want them in the story, but it's great when another part of the story is a character you don't get to read about too often.
The ending was just a TINY bit too fast for my taste, but overall I really liked this one. I would read it again. :)
Charles
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this one but OK it didn't light me on fire. I felt the resolutions to the problems at the end came a little too easily and that to get there the Klingons and Romulans had to act a bit out of character. The Klingons particularly came off a bit buffoonish. It did show an interesting side of Kirk.
David
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a bad read for fans of TOS. The characterization of the main cast seems a little odd sometimes, especially in internal dialogue, but they don't wander too far from their television counterparts. The plot has in interesting twist, but is still unsatisfyingly concluded in my opinion.
Brandon
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Was pretty entertaining to read for the most part. The ending was just ok. It felt as though everything got worked out very easily. Worth the read if you're looking for something quick.
Mark
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, original Star Trek story. Though some unrealistic things happen (five men able to overtake a starship), more unlikely things have happened on the series, and the characters are dead on.
Felicia
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as awesome as some, but certainly not bad either.
Caitlyn
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was ok. A bit wordy and definitely contradicted later characterizations of the Klingon Empire (not to mention, kept calling it just "Klingon" - very irritating).
David
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fantastic original Star Trek story that has some nice twists.
Paul
  • Mutiny on the Enterprise
  • The Starship Trap
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Deep Domain
  • The Rift

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire