Start by marking “Boxing for Cuba: An Immigrant's Story of Despair, Endurance & Redemption” as Want to Read:
Boxing for Cuba: An Immigrant's Story of Despair, Endurance & Redemption

Boxing for Cuba: An Immigrant's Story of Despair, Endurance & Redemption

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Cultural Writing. Biography and Memoir. Latino/Latina Studies. The whims of politics are at the fore of Guillermo Vincente Vidal's memoir, in which young boys become men in the shadow of revolution and personal turmoil. Vidal writes about his family's participation in events that forever altered U.S.-Cuban relations after an effort to free children from the threat of Commu ...more
Published November 15th 2007 by Ghost Road Press

To ask other readers questions about Boxing for Cuba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boxing for Cuba

Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
The author called into our book club to discuss the book, so it was great to get some more information and hear what has happened since the book.
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-2008
Full disclosure: because I know the author, I can't come to this book with an unbiased perspective. That said, I really enjoyed it, and based on prior experience reading books written by acquaintances and friends, I have to say that that isn't totally based on the fact that I know the author. Sometimes that just makes a book all the harder to read!

Bill has obviously brought a great deal of soul-searching and introspection to the writing of this book, and it shows. The book deals largely with Bil
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this little gem on our lunchroom book cart a few months back. Sometimes, reading about historical events can be dry for me, so I really love personal history accounts. The autobiography narrative-tone really helps me hold on to the story and inspires me to read more about the event in more dry contexts. Today, the Cuban embassy opened up again here in Washington and I am definitely feeling moved to re-read my copy of "Boxing for Cuba". The story is well-written; there is family drama, hu ...more
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many Cuban children were sent to Seattle as a result of Operation Peter Pan. Later when their parents arrived in the United States, I came to know many of these families. The majority of my Cuban friends never wanted to return to Cuba, so it was interesting to read Mr. Vidal's account of returning to his homeland. A few years ago my husband I went to this wonderful country......and had the opportunity to relish the beauty of what was a glorious country hit hard by the plight of communism. Some d ...more
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I published and edited this book so I guess I have read it quite a few times. This book is a finalist for the Colorado Book Award this year. Written by Denver's deputy mayor it is a moving read about three-brother's journey from Cuba to the United States. Touching on family, culture, politics, race, and what it is like to find and live the American Dream, Boxing for Cuba will leave you wanting to read it again.
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It is truly amazing that this is the author's first book! He has written an autobiographical book about his experiences as a child in Cuba, the victory of Castro, his separation from his parents and his homeland when he and his 2 brothers are sent to an orphanage in Colorado, reuniting with his parents, and finally returning to Castro's Cuba for a visit. The flavor of Cuba permeates the entire book. He is a wonderful writer!
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this autobiography of Denver's Deputy Mayor, Bill Vidal. Castro's rise to power in the early 60's, Vidal's parents' decision to leave Cuba which split up the family for a few years, how they each faced the challenges of immigration and prejudice, not to mention their own personal struggles, all very interesting.
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The memoir of the current deputy mayor of Denver. It is the story of his immigration on Pedro Pan from Cuba to Pueblo. It is the amazing story of resiliency, well-told. The reader feels the pulse of Cuba and the growing up pains in an orphanage. The story is richly told and I love that he is just my age, our lives were quite different in those years, to say the least.
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recocmmended by Kay from the train.
Excellent immigrant story. Has interesting points to make on several topics. This was a page turner I couldn't put down.
1. Male pride in accepting help.
2. How crazy mothers become crazy. It's not their kids fault.
3. Maybe fathers should not assume females are better parents.
Aug 11, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a very interesting story of immigration and family dysfunction. It's interesting to read a memoir by someone I know, and whose story I have heard partially. I think Guille's descriptions of racism and trying to live the American dream are very powerful.
Marsha Crest
Author is local public figure who emigrated from Cuba during the '60's after Castro came into power. I was interested because I went to high school with some Cuban refugees and this book give a real basic background about what was going on at that time.
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Didn't love it like so many people have. Hearing the author speak in a few weeks. Maybe that will shed some light on it.
rated it it was ok