Start by marking “राग दरबारी” as Want to Read:
राग दरबारी

राग दरबारी

रागदरबारी एक ऐसा उपन्यास है जो गांव की कथा के माध्यम से आधुनिक भारतीय जीवन की मूल्यहीनता अनावृत करता है। शुरू से आखिर तक इ ने निस्संग और सौददेश्य व्यंगय के साथ हिंदी का शायद यह पहला उपन्यास है।

फिरभी राग दरबारी व्यंग्य-कथा नहीं है। इसका समबन्ध एक एड़े नगर से कुछ दूर बेस हुए गांव की ज़िन्दगने वर्षो की प्रगति और विकास के नारों के बावजूद निहित स्वार्थो और अनेक अवांक्षनीय तत्व
Paperback, 35, 335 pages
Published 2008 by Rajkamal Prakashan (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about राग दरबारी, please sign up.
Pradeep niranjan i would say to some extent. If not a spectator, he was caught confused between his education, practicality, a world of idealism and a village of brut…more i would say to some extent. If not a spectator, he was caught confused between his education, practicality, a world of idealism and a village of brutal practicality.
Whenever he participated, it was mostly out of guilt and not out of conviction. I would say, he alone represent an entire generation of today's youth.
(less)

Start your review of राग दरबारी
Pranay Sharma
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If i were marooned on a god-forsaken island with just one book, this is the one i'd wish to have. Hilarious, sarcastic and intense, it has the same charm even if you read it for the n-th time. The modern day "shining" India, depicted through a village in a most natural manner make it one of the best satires you'll ever come across. The book is full of conversations reading which you'd be compelled to pause for a while and have a laugh. A must read.
Debashis
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shrilal Shukla's masterpiece Raag Darbari is a representative novel of the rapidly changing (or degrading) values & ethos in India's rural heartland post independence.

Ranganath, a research scholar looking for some recuperation and tired of banalities in urban life, arrives in a village called Shivpalganz. Once there, he comes across Vaidyaji, a distant relation & the village tout. Vaidyaji literally rules over the village, with two of his sons acting as his henchmen & most of his cronies occupy
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
Do check out the full book review on our blog Rag Darbari by Shrilal Shukla - Book review

Shrilal Shukla is known as one of the prominent Hindi authors. The first time I have read Shrilal Shukla’s work is in my school’s Hindi syllabus. It also had mentioned of Raag Darbari, since then I wanted to read this book.

This story is set in the village Shivpalganj, Uttar Pradesh; the period is of post-independence. The villager called themselves ‘Ganjha’ referring their village name.

Rangnath, who is M.A.
Gorab Jain
Set in rural India post independence, the focus is on the political agitations in the village society.

Every couple of pages have that sarcastic punch on the government and system, which will have you rolling. And the fun (actually sad!) part is all of the sarcastic pokes still holds true after 50 years when it was first published.

Easy flowing Hindi topped with some Avadhi dialect conversations making it humorous throughout.
I love books which have intelligent chapter titles. This one is devoid of
Deepak Rao
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.Brilliant.Haven't read a better satire.Not a single line of the novel could be skipped.Each sentence is filled with wit and aphorism. Humour is so subtle and finely woven in the fabric of the story that you keep chuckling to yourself throughout while marveling at the imagination of the author.

The first paragraph of the book describing a truck parked by the roadside sets the tone of the novel. Thereafter, it's a hilarious journey through the rural landscape of Shivpalganj where "Ganj
Bushra
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Raag Darbari is a lesson in cynicism. It is a heavy satire on the so called intellectuals of modern India and although the book was written in '68, it remains relevant and contemporary till date.

Read it for stark dark humor.
Saurabh Goyal
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indian democratic moment was of huge celebration in theory: a largely poor and unlettered society marching on a leap of faith by introducing universal adult franchise. And after 70 years it will not be an exaggeration to say that India has built itself robust democratic institutions. But is this success only a superficial one hiding beneath a depressing story? That is the question Raag Darbari explores; and in what ruthless, take-no-prisoners style.
Rangnath, an educated youth, with grand ideali
Narendra Chaudhary
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Awesome satire and comical book. Everyone who is interested in knowing how our great country actually runs must read it.
Varun Bhargava
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Predominantly being a reader of English books, I did not expect a Hindi novel to provide a heavy dose of satire and laughter. Raag Darbari is an immaculate representation of Independent India that's marching towards modernism yet showing no signs of transformation. The ways of the world - and the cities of the country, for that matter - remain relatively unknown to villages and a twisted mindset that exists among the village folk is highlighted with almost-perfect subtlety at every stage in the ...more
Kshitiz Goliya
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes great skill to pull off satire in the midst of corruption and decadence. Rag Darbari manages to do just that and the medium of Hindi is one of the main reason behind that achievement.
Set in the small fiction town of Shivpalganj, the novel moves through different aspects of corruption, gullibility and bullheadedness found in the rural folks.
Shukla comically highlights the bureaucratic sclerosis in the provincial establishment and the emergence of local satraps in small towns who oscilla
Ravi Singh
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the many books I have read, if I were to pick my top 5 or 10, this would make it every time!
I was gifted the English version by my dear friend who knew my Hindi reading and writing isn't up to the mark, thanks to an early convent education in Bengal where my Hindi teacher taught us Hindi in English! Thankfully I procrastinated and recently discovered the Hindi audiobook version on Storytel. Am I glad I waited!
This book just cannot be enjoyed as much in any other language.

I am struggling
Abhideep Jain
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world." said G.B. Shaw. And this book does a complete justice to what he said. Different from fiction that talks about allusions and hints, I like the way facts or reality is a common place in this book; however shitty it might be. This makes it humorous. Shukla captures those moments in any setting, that no one talks about, and mentions it with negligible verbiage and or floweriness. He can be compared to the comedian who wou ...more
Kushal Srivastava
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kushal by: Ashutosh Rai
Raag Darbari (राग दरबारी) is a novel so cynical and brutally realistic in its outlook that any other work of fiction appears as an ideological dream sequence. It is one of the saddest tale ever told - the story of India after independence. No, not the partition, but the story of its moral, social, political and intellectual corruption. True to reality, all the people who are even marginally honest and fighting for justice are thoroughly lampooned in the novel by other characters.

The novel is dr
Samir Pathak
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A huge number of people consider Raag Darbari to be the funniest book they have read. This book has given me more chuckles than any other work of literature or movie. Srilal Shukla was a bureaucrat, and this book is a product of his life experiences as well as many stories he exchanged with his colleagues. He managed to put it together in an amazing narrative, which is funny, satirical, without sounding facetious or bitter.
Sameer
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Highly nuanced even though the style is a classic satire. Witty one liners and references to leaders like Nehru, Panth like they were just their to be read in the newspapers or to be heard on the radio can cover the book in sepia. Leaves the taste of raw mango pickle that most of us sourced from our dear Grandparents tinged with their wisdom and humor. Part social commentary and part piece of literature this is a book rolled many things into one.

Glad I picked this one.
Ravi Jha
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hindi
One of the best works of Srilal Shukla.
Annu Aparajita
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious book. Exceptional writing. Masterpiece.
Saba Hussain
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this novel few days back and found this amazing satirist "shrilal shukla". Shrilal shukla was a Hindi novelist, particularly famous for his satire.
Raag Darbari originally published in 1968. And later in 1993 translated to English by Gillian Wright.
The novel is set in the rural India, the focus is on the social and political concern in the village. Shrilal shukla beautifully punches out the developmental state of the country with his sarcasm. His satire on bureaucracy and democratic i
Saurabh Sharma
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was fun filled with several instances from which one can understand the deeply rooted politics in the heartland of India. They say that UP having a population of 1/7th of India is a major decider for who rules India and to read this book is to understand how those 1/7th of the Indian voters vote.
Rajeev
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
when I started reading this book, I thought that the writer was cynical about village society. that's why there were such Harsh satires. but slowly after continuing the book I realise that the writer tries to bring the reality rather than romanticising about living in villages of India. it is an unusual novel where you will see reality and its bare truth. it is not a story about any person or place but a collective understanding of writer about failure of executing the plans at ground level and ...more
Nitya
This book almost felled me. And induced an annoying-ass reading slump. It only took me three months to finish this tale of venal power-broking. Like someone told me, the "aroma" of North India envelops you as you read this book. A little too strong, this aroma, for me. 🤔

In large part, this flavor was imparted by the nature of the English translation, which reminds me of something Ken Liu said about his translation of Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem: "The English words are arranged in such a way
Prabhat  sharma
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Raag Darbari by Shrilal Shukla (hindi ) is a story about the life of people of Uttar Pradesh, India 20 years after independence. A research student in History comes meet his uncle called Vaidyaji in his village. The researcher is an idealist and believes that the country is administered in a judicial mode. He finds that there is a nexus between criminals, businessmen, police and politicians, the poor are not able to get justice, grievances of teachers and others are not heard by Principal and re ...more
Manish Dubey
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not for nothing 'Raag Darbari' is a classic; a gem of Indian Literature.
Do we think of the plot more than the inherent message? Does the novel setting is too familiar for us?
Shrilal Shukla breaks many notions which we have build over the years reading novels which are have many things in common.

The novel doesn't promise to give a fresh beautiful smell of Indian countryside but it makes us smell the lethargic stink of rural lives and the intertwined politics in which the the whole country is im
Kanchan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing , Highly satirical . this is a story of a village and not of a single "Hero". Every character from the book has equal contribution in portraying the very human nature that we all have somewhere inside us. you'll be able to connect with it through various aspects like conversation between characters , comments of the author himself in between, the way or the nature in which things went on , the flow of the story. You'll definitely enjoy and may be will start introspecting.
Tanuj
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book makes you self introspect and realize your helplessness in the context of the way things work in India. As the Author has himself quoted an old review of the book in the preface "Apathit rah jani his iski niyati hai." A must read for every Indian, who can read Hindi.

P.S. If you like the "The White Tiger" by Mr. Arvind Adiga, you are definitely gonna love this book.
Tanupam
One of the landmark novels of Hindi literature, Raag Darbari by Shrilal Shukl, is a must read for lovers of Hindi fiction. Published in 1968, it is a sarcastic take on the Indian societal and political system. Quite interestingly, the narrative of this timeless classic still holds good in the current scenario.
Abhishek Agarwal
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a masterpiece of hindi satire. ShuklaJi has seen government functioning and rural life from very close and is able to stitch them together in most satirical way in brilliant Hindi. However, it felt a bit repetitive and longish.
Abhyudaya Shrivastava
An all time classic. A textbook on satire and village politics. Reads slow but it is best read at a slow pace
Laveena Behl
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This masterpiece in Indian Literature is the epitome of satire as a genre in the same field. Shukla's innuendos are hard to overlook, and digest as well!
Vishal Choradiya
Having come across many references to Shrilal Shukla’s “Raag Darbari” as one of Hindi literature’s great comic masterpieces, I decided to give its English translation by Gillian Wright a read. Set in 1960s rural Uttar Pradesh, the novel satirises the yawning gap between the lofty democratic ideals underlying the founding of the Indian republic, and the everyday lived reality of local politics and administration in the hinterlands. The fictitious village of Shivpalganj offers a microcosmic view o ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kitabi Keeda: Raag Darbari Discussion - 21 June 2018 1 4 Aug 11, 2018 05:26AM

• गुनाहों का देवता
  • गोदान [Godaan]
  • मधुशाला
  • रश्मिरथी
  • तमस
  • कितने पाकिस्तान
  • काशी का अस्सी (Kashi ka Assi)
  • मैला आँचल
  • मानसरोवर 1: प्रेमचंद की मशहूर कहानियाँ
  • चित्रलेखा
  • Lajja: Shame
  • बनारस टॉकीज [Banaras Talkies]
श्रीलाल शुक्ल (31 दिसम्बर 1925 - 28 अक्टूबर 2011) हिन्दी के प्रमुख साहित्यकार थे। वह समकालीन कथा-साहित्य में उद्देश्यपूर्ण व्यंग्य लेखन के लिये विख्यात थे।

उन्होंने 1947 में इलाहाबाद विश्वविद्यालय से स्नातक परीक्षा पास की। 1949 में राज्य सिविल सेवासे नौकरी शुरू की। 1983 में भारतीय प्रशासनिक सेवा से निवृत्त हुए। उनका विधिवत लेखन 1954 से शुरू होता है और इसी के साथ हिंदी गद्य का एक गौरवशाली अध्याय आका