Start by marking “Dragon and Soldier (Dragonback, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon and Soldier (Dragonback, #2)

Dragon and Soldier

(Dragonback #2)

Jack Morgan 14 aka Montana enlists with youngest trainees for Whinyard's Edge mercenaries, hired by Parprin daublite mining colony humans from "Agrist claim-jumpers", who in turn employ Shamshir mercs. Honorable warrior-poet Draycos 30ish hides as 2D tattoo on Jack's back, and encourages noble values while their space-ship Uncle Virge continues the tradition of his late se ...more
Published January 10th 2005 by Starscape (first published June 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon and Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon and Soldier

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

RTC

⋆ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Writing Style
⋆ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Plot & Pacing
⋆ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ World Building

______________________
You can find this review and many others on my book blog @ Perspective of a Writer. See my special perspective at the bottom of my reviews under the typewriter...

Please like this review if you enjoyed it! *bow* *bow* It helps me out a ton!!
Jim
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
As with the first, this book may be targeted at "Young Adults," but it reads well for adults also. This second entry was better than the first, and the first was good. Book two did not have a slow moment. It hung together well. The ending was very strong.

When the first book ended, it left one major issue open. That issue is left open on this one also and probably won't resolve until the end of the series (book 6). This one added to the development of the story, so left additional storylines to c
Benjamin Espen
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dragon and Soldier follows the same pattern as Dragon and Thief, the first volume in the Dragonback series. Jack and Draycos get into sticky situations, and then scrape by on Jack’s thievery, Draycos’ bravery, and sheer pluck. In the first volume, Draycos helped clear Jack’s name of a crime he did not commit, and in return, Jack now feels honor bound to help Draycos find the organization responsible for shooting down the K’da’s ship and killing all of his shipmates.

Since the only lead they have
Joe Santoro
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: soft_sf, young-adult
Now that the preliminaries our out of the way, this one was a better novel, getting straight to the action, and being a far more interesting plot. Jack and Draycos inflitrate a mercenary company with the intent of stealing their info on other groups so they can try and track who set up the K'da. They end up on a world where two different groups are fighting for a mine and no one's quite sure who the good guys are. We also get the introduction of a new potential bad guy in Alison, a girl mercenar ...more
Ron
“You’re innocent until they absolutely prove otherwise. And for ten minutes after that, too.”

Good story, consistent with the high tone set in the series opener, Dragon and Thief. Jack makes bone-headed decisions typical of a fourteen year old. Zahn, having saved the reader the apparently-mandatory Hogwarts school experience in the first tale lays it on us now.

“You know, Darycos, for being such a clever poet-warrior, you’re kind of slow on the uptake sometimes.”

(Sorry I don’t have more quotes: r
Stephan van Velzen
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
It looks like I'm reading one of the Dragonback books a week now. That's an easy accomplishment. These are wonderfully light and super easy to read. They also provide a lot of fun and excitement.

In this second installment, all the elements I mentioned in my review of the first book are still present—multiple story lines, extensive travel through a well-fleshed-out galaxy, and page-turner pacing. In addition, however, the characters have become much more fleshed out. The protagonists are moving
Anna
I'm enjoying this!

Soo, so much! I read the first one forever ago, and loved the concept. I'm fascinated by where Zahn is taking this series...
Alexander Silvius
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Love the concept, but it was boring (Sorry Zahn). This does not reflect my opinion of his other works which are mostly fantastic. Almost every author writes some duds, including me (articles I've written elsewhere). This might deserve a 3 or 4 star rating for the intended audience: YA. But I sensed a preachy undertone about the use of child soldiers and maybe if he had developed that line a little more clearly and made it about that very thing, it might have been a better story, but it would not ...more
Cathy
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good thing Jack has Cracks with him or else he wouldn't be alive for this second book!

I am really enjoying these books about the boy and the Dragon. Jack is only 14 years old so he is allowed some slack, but he is really an obnoxious character. This book had a lot of artwork in it and I still don't know what is going on. The girl, Kayna, is very suspicious and I think she is ready to cause trouble. I am so ready for the third book!!6
Rachel
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This installment really helped develop the Dragonback world and characters. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as the first book, but that's mostly because I prefer a good heist movie to a war movie any day. Still a solid read, though!
Michael Mcfarren
Good action

Story is believable with string charters developed thru the book. I like the premise and overarching goal. Seems tedious at times. I’d like to see how this current line of action is going to save the dragons people. Next book...
Elliott McCrory
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The first book was it good. This one was not as compelling. It ended rather blandly - that's probably the top disappoinment for me.
Kai Wall
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first one, the story line was a bit slower at first, but it really picked up toward the end with an amazing ending!
An Odd1
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jack Morgan 14 aka Montana enlists with youngest trainees Whinyard's Edge mercenaries, hired by Parprin daublite mining colony humans from "Agrist claim-jumpers" p96, who in turn employ Shamshir mercs. Honorable warrior-poet Draycos 30ish hides as 2D tattoo on Jack's back, and encourages noble values while their space-ship Uncle Virge continues the tradition of his late selfish Uncle Virgil, con artist. Recruit Alison is expert, already has militia experience - and secrets. In the book's closing ...more
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dragon and Soldier (2004) 299 pages by Timothy Zahn.

The second novel in the Dragonback series. This picks up right after the end of book one. At this point Jack and Draycos are now free to tackle the problem of finding out how to stop the Valahgua before the Shontine and K'da refugee ships enter the Orion arm of the galaxy.

They don't have much to go on, just the type of ships that destroyed the survey party, and very little else. There are too many Djinn-90s to look into the public records to f
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having cleared his name, Jack sets out to trace the mercenaries that blasted Draycos' people. To do this, Jack joins a mercenary organization, figuring he can use his proximity to their systems to break in and steal what he needs. Things go wrong almost from the start when Jack is prematurely shipped into a war where right and wrong are nowhere near as clear as he believes them to be.

It looked so easy... and then went straight through the floor. The book is very streamlined, focusing on action w
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: These books just get better and better the more times I read them.

The soldiering cover was my least favorite. It felt like too long of stakes for too little gain. We get to see Jack and Draycos be awesome, but they are so much more awesome in the next books that this one is almost skippable. (Except for Alison, of course.)

To put it bluntly, I can't decide which of the next four are my favorite. (Is it 3, where Jack is a slave and has such a perfect ending? Is it 4, where we see
Joshua
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fun science-fiction on the lighter side. Falls in the juvenile category, which means (thankfully) that it is free of the sex, nudity, gore, and foul language that haunts so much of the genre. Writing is a little repetitive, as key phrases always seem to be written out long hand, "poet-warrior of the K'da" being one of those phrases. Also, you really feel the irritation of the main character as he says "Skip it" 1000 times rather than explain his colloquialisms to his alien friend.

Been reading th
Cam
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Second in a young adult/juvenile sci-fi series featuring a recently orphaned young grifter entangled with a dragon-like alien refugee who can exist in a 2-d and 3-d version as long as he has a host like...Jack. They are on the search for clues to help Draycos protect his soon to arrive colony ships from their pursuers; another alien race bent on the genocide of his people. Really the fun is in learning how the human boy and the dragon learn to work with each other and solve the challenges thrown ...more
Charles Streams
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very strong sequel to the first book. Dragon and Soldier picks up shortly after the end of the first. I enjoy the conintuing relationship between Jack and Draycos and how Jack's still unsure of if he wants to be a host or not. Jack and Draycos are very busy in the soldier camp and the book reads very smoothly already, but I wouldn't mind having more development or depth into the two main characters at least. The one frustration I had with this book is the carelessness of Jack around Alyson. He ...more
Saphirablue
Kathleen
Jack Morgan joins a mercenary company to help Draycos find the identity of his attackers. Of course, Jack is fourteen years old and he isn't the youngest kid joining up. The discussion of warrior ethics, child soldiers, and expendable lives that follows is far more detailed and interesting than I would have expected.

Plus, there is still a great deal of two dimensional dragons becoming three dimensional to kick butt. I am liking this series a great deal.
Selena
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
This was an OK read. A quick action packed space opera.
This book had a lot of questions raised. I feel like this book set up the reader for the next book. which is good to get readers to want to move on to the next book in the series. However, I did feel jipped at the end because of the lack of a resolution. I guess I'll just have to pick up book three:)
Rebecca
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this book, we see the main characters developing a bit more, the interactions between Draycos and Jack and even Uncle Virge adapting to their new situations. I love the Dragonback series. I'm really enjoying rereading it with Stephan! It's hard to keep quiet when I see subtle little foreshadowing hints for things yet to come, though...
Jenny
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, teen, i-want
Jack Morgan and his K'da warrior-poet parnter Draycos are at it again. Jack and Draycos must find out who wants to destroy the remnant of Draycos's people. Jack infiltrates a mercenary group to get information on enemy fighters. However, all is not right. Now the two are caught in an unscrupulous fight and can only rely on each other to get out.
Angela
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series when I read it years ago and wanted to go back and rate it as a possibility for my brother-in-law Donnie and possibly Reece as well. Very original with cool gadgetry, real suspense, strong sense of right and wrong, and even humorous bits.
Daniel Williams
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The typical plot twists expected from Zahn, for young adults. I worry a young adult may have a problem with some of the complex plot. The main characters are becoming more sympathetic and worth rooting for.
Alex
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice continuation to the Dragonback series.
Kennen
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really good sequel book!
Matthew
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
great book a worthy continuation to the journey of Jack Morgan.

• Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2)
  • Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)
  • Alien Pursuit (Mars Diaries, #2)
  • Dragon Knight (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #7)
  • Target (Jimmy Coates, #2)
  • Dragon Spell (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #8)
  • The Outcast Blade (The Assassini, #2)
  • The Magnificent Wilf
  • Dragon Day (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #6)
  • Dragon Sword (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #5)
  • Return of the Sorceress (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #4)
  • Dragons in the Stars (Star Rigger, #2)
  • Project Elfhome (Elfhome, #4.5)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more

Dragonback (6 books)
  • Dragon and Thief (Dragonback, #1)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
“lawyers and soldiers came out of the same expensive box. If you couldn’t settle things without them, you weren’t going to like what it cost to settle things with them.” 0 likes