Start by marking “Thank You, Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:

In this exuberant Thanksgiving story, a little girl goes on a last-minute errand for her mother. Along the way, she thanks all the familiar things she loves—her warm boots, the song of the birds, the pretty clouds in the November sky. And when she gets home from her errand, her family thanks her for what she has brought.
David Milgrim’s spare, repetitive text and colorful,
Published September 18th 2006 by Clarion Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Thanksgiving

Maggie Ignasiak
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book about being thankful for things that you wouldn't normally think to be thankful for. I would read this with a younger crowd, so it's perfect for storytime. I also like it because it's about Thanksgiving in the family sense, but not about the systematic decimation of an entire group of people (aren't the holidays terrifying?).
Heidi-Marie
Gotta throw in Thanksgiving for storytime! This is a good toddler option because it is a few words, fun pictures, and plenty of options to get the kids involved.

11/9/10 Did not go as well with the group as I'd hoped, but they were overall not a very responsive or involved group.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 Much better with these two toddler groups. The parents got them more involved and they answered my questions. It's making me crave pie--but that's not surprising as I've been craving it all year lo
Bree
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because the illustration on the front cover was very cute and made me think I would watch it if it was a cartoon. The words are very easy with only a few on each page, if that. She doesn't explain why she is thankful for each thing, which is my only downside to this book. I did however fill in that part myself like her thankfulness for her boots was because they kept her feet warm. After I explained that my class had a million other ideas of what they were thankful for and why. ...more
Laura Irrgang
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pick this one up if you're looking for a light, easy read for small children. The bright, flat illustrations have an almost cartoony feel. Sent to the store for whipped cream, a little girl takes a walk through her neighborhood. Along the way, she expressess simply thanks for the things she sees around her. "Thank you, park. Thank you, warm boots. Thank you, fluffy clouds." The repitition and simplicity of the phrases and will appeal to a young audience.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
My all time favorite thanksgiving picture book.
Edna
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This little girl thanks who and what she comes in contact on Thanksgiving day. Very short text with simple illustrations make it a good read-aloud to very young toddlers and babies.
Lori
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Very cute book showing a little girl who practices an attitude of grattitude.
Emily Towne
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-438
Kris
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is great to find a children’s Thanksgiving book that simply focuses on being grateful. No problematic history. No religion. Just family and food and gratitude. Simple. Great.
Rita Webb
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I think this is a cute story for Thanksgiving. The girl is sent to the store to buy whipping cream, and along the way, she expresses all that she is thankful for. In the end, she sits down to eat her pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top, and she says, "Thank you, Thanksgiving."

My 5-year-old especially liked this book. When it was her turn to say what she was thankful for, she said, "I am thankful for Thanksgiving." So adorable. I couldn't blame her; I also was very thankful for Thanksgiving th
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Saturday Family Story Time on 11/19/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 11/22/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during preschool class visit on 11/21/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 11/16/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Rosa Cline
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, thanksgiving
This is a very simple storybook that beginning readers could read on their own and raise their self esteem because they could read a book on their own. The only words within the book is "Thank You" and then what ever she's around like snowpeople, mom, boots, mixer, etc. Each page only has like three or four words per page. The illustrations are great and a non reader can make up their own story if they can't read the words themselves.
Meg McGregor
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit the main reason I checked out this book is that the main character looks exactly like Lexi!

The story is wonderful! A little girl runs on an errand for her Mother on Thanksgiving.

Along the way she thanks all the everyday things in her life, which mean so much to her.

She thanks her warm boots, music, the pretty clouds, rabbits, the park, the duck, the general store, snow people, the hill, the mixer, the pie with whipped cream, and then she thanks, Thanksgiving!
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, holiday
Very nice storybook for preschoolers or young elementary age kids. The girl in the story is thankful for small things like her warm boots and birdsong as she walks to the store. Her family applauds her when she gets home, then she spends a Thanksgiving meal with her family. Very nice way to open up a conversation with kids about gratitude and enjoying the simple things.
Autumn Yoon
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story is about a young girl who lists what she is thankful for! Very cute and easy to read. This is a great book for beginning readers! I would read this before the Thanksgiving holiday! Pre-K - Kindergarten!
Erin
Very simple Thanksgiving book. The family needs milk to make something. A young girl from the family is chosen to go to the store to buy it. She thanks everything she sees along the way. At the end, she thanks Thanksgiving for making it all possible.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
Christine
A sweet book about being thankful for simple things. I didn't care much for the artwork which seemed kind of flat and over-exaggerated to me, but I do think it works just fine for toddlers and little kids.
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
A little girl is sent out to run an errand. As she does so, she thanks everyone and everything that she is thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Reading connection: Ask your child what they are thankful for and talk about what you are thankful for too. Work together on a Thanksgiving dessert.
Tam
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving, manners
This is a very simple book about a girl who walks around saying "thank you" to different things. It's a bit too young for my 4-year-old but it's a good opportunity to remind him how important it is to say thank you, even for little things.
Aleece
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very simple book about being thankful for the things around us. This is great for really little kids because the pictures are big and colorful and there are not a lot of words. This makes it perfect for the young toddlers and preschool kids in storytime.
RC
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Thank You, Thanksgiving illustrates that even in a child's eyes there is so much, no matter how simple to be thankful for in life. Young readers will like to find some of the young girl's animal friends on her journey as they appear on multiple pages.

This book promotes vocabulary.
Holly Nelson
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A story about a girl who on her way to the store tells what she is thankful for. Simple texts that relate back to illustration to tell the story. Could be used as an lesson about giving thanks around thanksgiving time. Engages the audience by the illustrations.
Jane
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet book to read before Thanksgiving, good for toddlers up through preschool or even early readers. Very simple text on each page "Thank you, duck," and cute illustrations.
Joan Marie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The perfect little book for toddlers who are learning to say thank you, especially in time for Thanksgiving.
Ashley Greenfield
A nice choice for a holiday read aloud. Certainly discussions of thankfulness and helpfulness can follow this quick story with a predictable pattern.
Jill
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, children
Very simple story. Adorable illustrations. Cute story (almost a list rather) of things this little girl is thankful for.
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
One of my favorite Thanksgiving books. Simple, sweet, charming look at all the ordinary things around us that we have to be truly thankful for.
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
3.5 stars.
Valerie
Cute little book for small children.
Terry
This is a sweet and simple book with unusual, simple and fun illustrations.

• Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Fancy Nancy: Our Thanksgiving Banquet
  • We're Off to Find the Witch's House
  • I Can Help
  • Go, Go, Grapes!: A Fruit Chant
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Purple Little Bird