Start by marking “Thank You, Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:

In this exuberant Thanksgiving story, a little girl goes on a last-minute errand for her mother. Along the way, she thanks all the familiar things she loves—her warm boots, the song of the birds, the pretty clouds in the November sky. And when she gets home from her errand, her family thanks her for what she has brought.
David Milgrim’s spare, repetitive text and colorful,
Published September 18th 2006 by Clarion Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You, Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You, Thanksgiving

Start your review of Thank You, Thanksgiving
Maggie Ignasiak
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book about being thankful for things that you wouldn't normally think to be thankful for. I would read this with a younger crowd, so it's perfect for storytime. I also like it because it's about Thanksgiving in the family sense, but not about the systematic decimation of an entire group of people (aren't the holidays terrifying?). ...more
Heidi-Marie
Gotta throw in Thanksgiving for storytime! This is a good toddler option because it is a few words, fun pictures, and plenty of options to get the kids involved.

11/9/10 Did not go as well with the group as I'd hoped, but they were overall not a very responsive or involved group.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 Much better with these two toddler groups. The parents got them more involved and they answered my questions. It's making me crave pie--but that's not surprising as I've been craving it all year long.

Bree
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because the illustration on the front cover was very cute and made me think I would watch it if it was a cartoon. The words are very easy with only a few on each page, if that. She doesn't explain why she is thankful for each thing, which is my only downside to this book. I did however fill in that part myself like her thankfulness for her boots was because they kept her feet warm. After I explained that my class had a million other ideas of what they were thankful for and why. ...more
Laura Irrgang
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pick this one up if you're looking for a light, easy read for small children. The bright, flat illustrations have an almost cartoony feel. Sent to the store for whipped cream, a little girl takes a walk through her neighborhood. Along the way, she expressess simply thanks for the things she sees around her. "Thank you, park. Thank you, warm boots. Thank you, fluffy clouds." The repitition and simplicity of the phrases and will appeal to a young audience. ...more
Edna
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This little girl thanks who and what she comes in contact on Thanksgiving day. Very short text with simple illustrations make it a good read-aloud to very young toddlers and babies.
Lori
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Very cute book showing a little girl who practices an attitude of grattitude.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
My all time favorite thanksgiving picture book.
Michelle Colar
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Grade Range: 1st
Genre: Fiction
This was such a great book. I think It was so awesome because of the lesson behind it. To be thankful for everything even the small things! I think this is a great book for kids because it shows them what being thankful means in a simpler way that they can understand. The illustrations are super cool I love how the book basically walks with her and everything is so astonishingly detailed. My favorite page would probably have to be the last page although it was wo
Emily Towne
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-438
Kris
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is great to find a children’s Thanksgiving book that simply focuses on being grateful. No problematic history. No religion. Just family and food and gratitude. Simple. Great.
Kelly
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Used for storytime about Thanksgiving.

Mother sends girl to the market for whipping cream and girl thanks every thing she meets on the journey.
Maeve
A little girl is thankful for all the small things on Thanksgiving day.
Kimberly
Good first reader book but some compound words need more than pictures for assistance.
Rita Webb
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I think this is a cute story for Thanksgiving. The girl is sent to the store to buy whipping cream, and along the way, she expresses all that she is thankful for. In the end, she sits down to eat her pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top, and she says, "Thank you, Thanksgiving."

My 5-year-old especially liked this book. When it was her turn to say what she was thankful for, she said, "I am thankful for Thanksgiving." So adorable. I couldn't blame her; I also was very thankful for Thanksgiving th
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Saturday Family Story Time on 11/19/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 11/22/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during preschool class visit on 11/21/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 11/16/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Meg McGregor
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit the main reason I checked out this book is that the main character looks exactly like Lexi!

The story is wonderful! A little girl runs on an errand for her Mother on Thanksgiving.

Along the way she thanks all the everyday things in her life, which mean so much to her.

She thanks her warm boots, music, the pretty clouds, rabbits, the park, the duck, the general store, snow people, the hill, the mixer, the pie with whipped cream, and then she thanks, Thanksgiving!
Rosa Cline
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, thanksgiving
This is a very simple storybook that beginning readers could read on their own and raise their self esteem because they could read a book on their own. The only words within the book is "Thank You" and then what ever she's around like snowpeople, mom, boots, mixer, etc. Each page only has like three or four words per page. The illustrations are great and a non reader can make up their own story if they can't read the words themselves. ...more
Amy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, holiday
Very nice storybook for preschoolers or young elementary age kids. The girl in the story is thankful for small things like her warm boots and birdsong as she walks to the store. Her family applauds her when she gets home, then she spends a Thanksgiving meal with her family. Very nice way to open up a conversation with kids about gratitude and enjoying the simple things.
Tam
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving, manners
This is a very simple book about a girl who walks around saying "thank you" to different things. It's a bit too young for my 4-year-old but it's a good opportunity to remind him how important it is to say thank you, even for little things.
Autumn Yoon
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story is about a young girl who lists what she is thankful for! Very cute and easy to read. This is a great book for beginning readers! I would read this before the Thanksgiving holiday! Pre-K - Kindergarten!
Holly Nelson
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A story about a girl who on her way to the store tells what she is thankful for. Simple texts that relate back to illustration to tell the story. Could be used as an lesson about giving thanks around thanksgiving time. Engages the audience by the illustrations.
Aleece
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very simple book about being thankful for the things around us. This is great for really little kids because the pictures are big and colorful and there are not a lot of words. This makes it perfect for the young toddlers and preschool kids in storytime.
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
A little girl is sent out to run an errand. As she does so, she thanks everyone and everything that she is thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Reading connection: Ask your child what they are thankful for and talk about what you are thankful for too. Work together on a Thanksgiving dessert.
Erin
Very simple Thanksgiving book. The family needs milk to make something. A young girl from the family is chosen to go to the store to buy it. She thanks everything she sees along the way. At the end, she thanks Thanksgiving for making it all possible.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
RC
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Thank You, Thanksgiving illustrates that even in a child's eyes there is so much, no matter how simple to be thankful for in life. Young readers will like to find some of the young girl's animal friends on her journey as they appear on multiple pages.

This book promotes vocabulary.
Christine
A sweet book about being thankful for simple things. I didn't care much for the artwork which seemed kind of flat and over-exaggerated to me, but I do think it works just fine for toddlers and little kids. ...more
Terry
This is a sweet and simple book with unusual, simple and fun illustrations. ...more
Bridget
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book. I like the chunky style of illustrations in this book. The text is very simple, which makes me want to read it to my kids over and over again...quick and cute!
Nancy J.
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing

This especially cute for the 3's class. Check out other DAvid Milgrim titles!!
Amy
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
One of my favorite Thanksgiving books. Simple, sweet, charming look at all the ordinary things around us that we have to be truly thankful for.

• This Is the Turkey