Start by marking “The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

This book is two novels in one; Screwtop by Vonda N. McIntyre and The Girl Who Was Plugged in by James Tiptree Jr.
Paperback, Double 7, 140 pages
Published March 11th 1989 by Tor Books (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop

Start your review of The Girl Who Was Plugged In/Screwtop
Lit Bug
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of thoughtful SF
6/5

It's a pity I cannot rate it higher than the maximum allowed - it is astonishing that Tiptree, in this short story achieves so much. I liken her to Vonnegut, who could pull your guts out in a matter of minutes with stories that take usually barely half-an-hour to read.

The present story is rich in terms of ideas - it anticipates cyberpunk, rather, feminist cyberpunk - the process of jacking in, and taking up the issues of representing women's bodies in a genre that was indiff
Carina
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rc-2018
A novella (depending on the edition about 50 pages long) set in a cyberpunk world where advertising is prohibited. Corporations use celebrities for product placement, but as "real" humans are too unpredictable, they grow themselves perfectly beautiful brainless celebrity-bodies. P. Burke, a deformed, ugly, suicidal girl who lives in the gutter is offered to be the remote control for the body of new celebrity "Delphi". She gladly accepts.

A story about the power of the media, how corporations con
Annie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
[Review, like many others', is just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In]

It’s not often a book makes me feel like this. My mind is buzzing. Alice-Sheldon-alias-James-Tiptree-Jr is a genius. GENIUS.

I mean, this story and me? It’s pretty much dangling candy in front of a baby. 70s uberfeminist science fiction with implicit analysis of consumerism AND body/gender politics? God, I am so in, girl.

It’s about a now-familiar (thanks to films like Avatar, Surrogate, etc.) concept: a human who uses anoth
Sara Mazzoni
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Novella vincitrice del premio Hugo nel 1974, La ragazza connessa parla di un’entità organica, Delphi, il cui cervello è contenuto all’esterno del corpo; per la precisione, dentro al corpo mostruoso della giovane P. Burke. Delphi è come un Golem, è un corpo coltivato da una multinazionale, che si considera proprietaria di Delphi. Quando è Delphi, P. Burke non sa di non esserlo davvero; e, in effetti, lo è.

La vicenda affronta varie questioni legate all’identità, alla coscienza e alla percezion
Tomislav
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Tor Double #7, of a series of 36 double books published from 1988 to 1991 by Tor Books. It contains two novellas, bound together tête-bêche in mass market paperback – back-to-back, inverted, with two front covers and both titles on the spine. The novellas are listed here alphabetically by author; neither should be considered “primary.”

Screwtop, by Vonda N. McIntyre (1976)
This was originally published in Robert Silverberg's 1976 anthology The Crystal Ship: Three Original Novellas of Scienc
martha
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
(This review is just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In, since I'm going to give a miss to the trashy looking space-prison item published in the other half of this edition.)

The Girl Who Was Plugged In is one of the Tiptree novellas I kept hearing referenced as a classic, and I see why, especially given when it was published. Celebrity and consumerism and bodies (and women's bodies!) and corporations and the self, in a funky scifi package.

The writing was sometimes so stylized
Dobby's Sock
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Girl Who Was Plugged In" is so relevant today in our days of facebook, google, youtube advertising.

I'm a huge Don Delillo fan, but this story blows him out of the water.
Netanella
A short story written in 1976, "Screwtop" describes the lives of three prisoners on an alien planet. I had a difficult time with this story. I felt no connection to Kylis, the young female prisoner, or the two males she partnered with. Gryf is a tetra-something, a hybrid genetic mish-mash sent to the prison planet because he refuses to obey his family - whatever that means. And Jason is a mysterious writer of subversive freedom texts, some Sakharov-type, imprisoned but no one really knows he's t ...more
Lady Entropy
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
((This is for Triptree only))

Oh, this was delicious delicious cyberpunk old school at its best. I devoured it under an hour (even if it is a long novella) and god, I wish I could keep reading. I will definitely see if Triptree has more books, because jesus, that had all the beauty and pain of a razorblade kiss. It made me hope, it made me smile, it made me laugh and cry and cringe.

While it was mostly predictable, it was so in a good way: the constant struggle of humanity
Rebeca
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is mostly about The Girl Who Was Plugged In--in many ways, it's horrifying. But it's because of that that it's so heartbreaking. I have no hesitation in declaring it one of the greater cyberpunk tales ever written; it has such a vivid voice and thoughtful questions about the self, especially with the relationship between the body and the mind. I love it when stories like these bring up these concerns and explore what they might mean to the characters without giving us answers. It feels much more ...more
Jason
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
2 stars for Screwtop: it is an ordinary prison drama that happens to take place on an alien world.
3 stars for the Tiptree story: She presages 'cyberpunk' with a 'cyberjazz' style that uses an unnamed narrator who scats & bebops around this ugly-duckling story until he/she settles into a groove during the last third.
Luke Burrage
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sffaudio, ebook
The Girl Who Was Plugged In: Read to discuss on the SFFaudio podcast. It's okay, but really not my kind of thing. See my review of Software and Wetware.
Carrie
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tiptree is my jam.
Sara Alexis
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be fascinating. A quick read that I finished on a flight this past weekend. Even though it was written in the 70s, I feel as though the book relates so much to the social media culture we live in now and how products are advertised through people. Definitely a must for a lover of dystopian fiction.
Abbe
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Was Plugged In is free to read online. This is the second novella I've read by Tiptree and she writes very thought provoking pieces.
dipandjelly
a+++ review mainly for james tiptree jr who is a l e g e n d.
Jerry Jose
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A dystopian story in an Utopian future, by a female author under a male pen name, about a perfect girl who isnt really who she is.

Quite a feminist slap to then society in premise, writing, narration as well as story line. The future version in this story is forward and utopian in many levels, Advertisement is banned and even the word ad is considered offensive. Well, still Corporates have their way by product placements via celebrities, quite like today. Except, they pretty much groom their ce
Naushika
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eine wirkliche sehr aufschlussreiche short-story, welche Bezüge zwischen Feminismus und Science Fiction herstellt.
Die Vorstellungen und Erwartungen die an einen weiblichen Körper gestellt werden, sind auf das Schärfste hier durch eine "männliche" Technologie kritisiert. Für eine ausführliche Kritik ist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gir... zu empfehlen.
Jedoch ist dabei ein Punkt noch nicht besprochen: Neben der Körperlichkeit wird ebenso die erwartete geistige Haltung von Frauen thematisiert. P.Burke ist vollständig kontrolliert
Dmitry Verkhoturov
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Рассказ о мире будущего, где запрещена реклама, и вместо рекламы "боги телевидения" просто покупают и носят те вещи, за которые им приплачивают. Чувствуете острую сатиру на современное общество? А она есть.
Речь в рассказе идёт о девочке, которую, как вы догадались, подключили — дали возможность удалённо управлять телом юного ангела в обмен на то, что она в телевизоре будущего (называется он по-другому, но на самом деле это острая сатира на телевизор) на виду у миллионов пользуется теми вещ
Jessica
Sep 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-online
I only read "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" for a Science Fiction Class, and if I'm honest, this is one of the strangest short stories I have ever read. The whole first half was confusing to me and in addition to that, I found it rather boring. By the end it got a little intense, which made it bearable to make it through the end, but I feel as if I'm more lost after reading it, than I was while reading it. I'm not even going to attempt rereading it. The overall idea was interesting, but the plot m ...more
Kristen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The Girl Who Was Plugged In" completely changed so much for me. Completely relevant still today, it's a wonderful and horrible look into female beauty and how television/media/society is fixated on the looks of women. Cannot recommend enough.
Peter Millane
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is only for "The girl who was plugged in"

Considering how long ago this was written it still has so much relevance to our world today. Recommended for anyone who is interested in sci fi from yesteryear.

R
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars are for The Girl Who Was Plugged In.
Emma Kath
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just for The Girl Who Was Plugged In
Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Didn't bother reading Screwtop- but The Girl Who Was Plugged in is one of my all time favorite science fiction novella of all time.
Sam Cooper
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
"plugged in" is an incredibly prescient and moving.
Raymon Granillo
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very short and very powerful. I've always loved Ms Sheldon's creative imagination. It is sad that there are so few of her books out in circulation today.
Roman
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
3 из 5. Кажется, дело в том, что с 70-х повесть безнадежно устарела и эта тема уже миллион раз заезжена.
Ahmed Hichem
Nov 19, 2018
Amber Brown
May 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
EDCMOOC: The Girl Who Was Plugged In - Chat on Sat 2nd August (3rd for NZ) 9 12 Aug 02, 2014 01:12PM

• Pebble in the Sky (Galactic Empire #3)
  • Headbang 2
  • Headbang
  • Headbang 3
  • Headbang 4
  • Herland
  • Güneşi Yanında Taşıyan Adam
  • The Stars, Like Dust (Galactic Empire, #1)
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 2
  • My Life with the Walter Boys (My Life with the Walter Boys #1)
  • Selected Works of Virginia Woolf
  • Сумерки
  • Öldüğünü Google'dan Öğrenen Adam ve Diğer Tuhaf Hikâyeler
  • The World Jones Made
  • The Currents of Space (Galactic Empire #2)
  • The End of the World Running Club
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 1
  • The Days of Perky Pat
"James Tiptree, Jr." was born Alice Bradley in Chicago in 1915. Her mother was the writer Mary Hastings Bradley; her father, Herbert, was a lawyer and explorer. Throughout her childhood she travelled with her parents, mostly to Africa, but also to India and Southeast Asia. Her early work was as an artist and art critic. During World War II she enlisted in the Army and became the first American fem ...more
“Well, what brand of water do you drink?"
"Just what was in the faucet, sir," says Delphi humbly. "I--I did try to boil it--"
"Good God.”
0 likes
“With your hand controlling all the input and your eye reading all the response you can make them a god . . . and somebody'll do the same for you.” 0 likes