Start by marking “The Dreaming Detective (Harriet Martens, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dreaming Detective

H.R.F. Keating

The Dreaming Detective (Harriet Martens #4)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Summoned by the new, fanatically determined Chief Constable, Harriet Martens is startled to be greeted with the blunt question: Who killed the Preacher? She is then tasked with making use of the latest DNA techniques to investigate the murder, thirty years ago, of a charismatic youth known as the Boy Preacher, strangled in the empty ballroom of the city's Imperial Hotel, a ...more
Audio CD
Published December 1st 2004 by Sound Library (first published November 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreaming Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreaming Detective

Linda Strong
DS Harriet Martens is back ... and she has a new Chief Constable who obviously does not like her and wants her to fail miserably. Maybe it's jealousy that he wants the best detective on board to look like a failure.

Whatever his thoughts and beliefs, he charges her with finding the killer of a young preacher .. a crime that has been unsolved for 30 years. And he wants it solved within the next 2 weeks. The hotel where the preacher was murdered is being torn down at that time.

But being the 'nice'
Les Wilson
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book. I have nearly all H R F Keating's books and none have let me down.
Julie Johnson
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this as well as a few others of the 'hard detective' series. It wasn't as good as the others, though on its own its a decent enough book.

I couldn't get into the mystery as much, though I loved the connections between dreams & the main characters current life and also much of the description. The main character is fantastic...its a wonderful contrast the way it is written how she's obviously very tough as nails yet we get to see her private thoughts, her opinions, prejudices, issues, p
Carol
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Not sure about how I liked this book - it was OK. A story about an older women detective whose new boss is trying to show her she's washed up by giving her a 30 year old cold case to solve. So with a helper who is just back from having a nervous breakdown, an office the size of a closet and no computer she proceeds to try and solve the case and does she??? You will have to read to find out.
Leyla Johnson
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, having previously read another of this series, I did not think I would like it. It was a lovely surprise that this book was one that kept me turning the pages until I finished it, which was long into the night.
It certainly is a series the improves with each book - really kept my interest.
This book was provided to me in return for an honest and unbiased review
Martha Brindley
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
My first read in this series and perhaps I should have read Book one first!I liked the toughness of the main character and the book was well written Thank you Net Galley for the copy.
Joe
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just good Police work..
No tricks.
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Bakul
DA
Jul 22, 2016
Doreen
Sep 04, 2016
Henry Reymond Fitzwalter Keating was an English writer of crime fiction most notable for his series of novels featuring Inspector Ghote of the Bombay CID.

H. R. F. KEATING was well versed in the worlds of crime, fiction and nonfiction. He was the crime books reviewer for The Times for fifteen years, as well as serving as the chairman of the Crime Writers Association and the Society of Authors. He w
More about H.R.F. Keating...

Harriet Martens (7 books)
  • The Hard Detective (Harriet Martens, #1)
  • A Detective in Love (Harriet Martens, #2)
  • A Detective Under Fire (Harriet Martens, #3)
  • A Detective at Death's Door (Harriet Martens, #5)
  • One Man and His Bomb (Harriet Martens, #6)
  • Rules, Regs and Rotten Eggs (Harriet Martens, #7)