Start by marking “Warm Worlds and Otherwise” as Want to Read:

And I Have Come upon This Place by Lost Ways
The Last Flight of Dr. Ain [nominated, 1969 Nebula Award]
Amberjack
Through a Lass Darkly
The Girl Who Was Plugged In [winner, 1974 Hugo Award. Nominated, 1973 Nebula Award. 1974 Locus Poll Award, Best Short Fiction (Place: 4)]
The
Mass Market Paperback, cover art by Michael Herring, 222 pages
Published February 1979 by Del Rey (first published January 12th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Warm Worlds and Otherwise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warm Worlds and Otherwise

Nate D
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Second Alice James Sheldon-Tiptree collection, more closely resembling the manic invention of Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home than the longer, slower burns of Star Songs of An Old Primate though with much concurrently-conceived material to the stories in both.

To be described as I read them:

All the Kinds of Yes (1972) :: An alien appears amidst the dizzying counter-cultural surge of the 60s/70s, conveyed in a colloquial confusion. Amidst such chaos and possibility what's an alien? Not such a s
Beth
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James Tiptree Jr. was the penname of Alice Sheldon, one of the most important sf writers of the 1970s.

These are wonderful stories. One of the highlights is "The Women Men Don't See" which, as you can probably tell from the title, is the most explicitly feminist story in the collection. It's also a great alien contact story...

Some of the best stories from this collection are really bleak, particularly "Love is the Plan the Plan is Death" and "On the Last Afternoon."

"The Milk of Paradise" is more
pax
If I needed one word to describe these stories it would be breathless ("certain lunatic energy of pace" says Silverberg about Tiptree's very first publication under this name in his foreword that I read after finishing the book). In the best sense of the word. Words tumbling. Screaming. Yelled accusations thrown against the world in this incredibly powerful voice.

That said: if you want a female voice that does not shy away from sex (but don't expect romance, expect a sentence like "but for her,
Lisa Eckstein
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I'd been aware of the Tiptree mythology for years (the author wrote under a male pseudonym for a decade before she was revealed to be a woman) but never read any of her work. This story collection blew me away. These are really well thought-out stories, with unusual premises, surprising characters, and fascinating narrative voices. The plots develop in unexpected ways and end in satisfying resolutions. Many of the stories contain humor, many are quite dark, and some fit both these descriptions.

W
Olethros
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
-Ejemplos de lo que supuso la autora en su época.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Doce relatos de Ciencia-Ficción con algún espacio para lo fantástico (que incluyen un par de los que ya hemos hablado aquí y aquí) escritos entre 1968 y 1975, varios con premios importantes del género en su haber, con un prólogo de Silverberg que no sé si, entonces, iba en serio o no (sé que fueron amigos, por lo que me queda la duda sobre la verdadera intencionalidad de su texto), que nos llevarán a conocer el
Bill Hsu
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Revisiting some old favorites, after Nate D's review started the itch.

I'm loving the prose (for its time, so clean and tight), and the often subversive perspectives on sexuality.

The Milk of Paradise: of course. (And online now!) In the first few pages, so much is implied in a few words. She is so matter-of-fact about all this. And that's just the beginning.

The Night-Blooming Saurian: a slight piece, but I think it holds up pretty well.

The Women that Men don't See: I remember the central idea ve
Borja Vargas
Hay en los relatos de Tiptree una sensación de inminencia del fin del mundo, un apocalipsis inevitable aunque, hasta cierto punto, tranquilo. La desaparición de la humanidad como algo triste pero no necesariamente trágico; de hecho, la tragedia incluso se percibe más en la propia existencia del ser humano, por el dolor que es capaz de causar y, también, por ser muchas veces incapaz de disfrutar de sus extraordinarias capacidades, al dejarse llevar por sus demonios. Incapaz, por su culpa o por cu ...more
Xabi1990
5/10. Media de los 2 libros leídos del autor : 6/10

No estaba mal, pero los relatos y yo...como que no. Mejor "El color de los ojos del neanderthal".
Raj
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
This is a collection of short stories by an author that Robert Silverberg in the introduction couldn't believe was female, claiming that there was "something ineluctably masculine about Tiptree’s writing". It's easy to mock with hindsight, but although James Tiptree Jr is the pen name of Alice Sheldon and there was a degree of feminist tones to some stories here, most notably in The Women Men Don't See, I see little to suggest gender in these stories.

Of the collection, a few didn't do anything f
Erik Carter
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
V cool collection of sci fi stories. I especially liked "the women men don't see" and "the girl who was plugged in".
Glen Engel-Cox
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the James Tiptree, Jr. collection which contains the infamous introduction by Robert Silverberg in which he claims that Tiptree was not just a man, but indubitably a man, based on the text herein. Of course, Tiptree wasn’t a man, which Silverberg discovered in a personal note from Alice Sheldon to himself, recounted in an afterword to his introduction in this later edition of the collection. Silverberg, it should be noted, is extremely gracious in noting his mistake, saying that Sheldon ...more
oshizu
Somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars, to be honest.
My favorite novella in this anthology is "The Girl Who Was Plugged in."
Hard to believe that it won the Hugo Award for Best Novella forty-four years ago in 1974.
I'd like to continue reading her short-story anthologies in publication order.
Lisa
James Tiptree Jr., if you didn't know, is a pseudonym for Alice Sheldon, who wrote many short stories in the 60s and 70s. Tiptree was known for a while for being very reclusive and quiet about 'his' identity, and this early collection begins with an essay by Robert Silverberg on the theme of "Who is James Tiptree, Jr.?" Silverberg correctly picks some of the easy identifiers out - he figures out that Sheldon worked for the government and lived in the DC area - but also goes on what is a deliciou ...more
Carolyn
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This collection includes the essay by Robert Silverberg in which he asserts quite forcefully--and erroneously--that Tiptree *must* be a man, along with a short statement at the end in which he admits to being mistaken. I haven't gotten through all the stories yet, but the book's been worth it so far for the introductory essay alone.
Patrick
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Wowee. The words are great. Really crazy configurations. Cool Cool stuff. She's too smart for me. A real puzzler.

The intro is fantastic too--Silverburg insists not only that Tiptree is a man, but that her writing is characteristically masculine.
Marek Waldorf
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This doesn't have my 2 favorite Tiptree stories but perhaps the most even collection.
John Cooke
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing collection of unique sf tales. This was my first Tiptree and now I'm hooked.
Haikon
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A great collection of works from an underrated author.

I tried reading this because I ran out of Ursula K. LeGuin books, and I wanted something approximately similar, and I was not disappointed. About half the stories are profoundly original, good storytelling. Incidentally, the best ones are the most famous: Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death, The Girl Who Was Plugged In, The Last Flight of Doctor Ain, and The Milk of Paradise.

The other half of the stories were alright, but they were verymuch f
Ann
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I believe this is the one which I bought at Half Price Books, on *sale* yet, only to open it not long after her death to find my copy was inscribed by the author.

Never before had I understood why signed copies were so appealing, but there I was, crouching in front of my bookcase, rocked to know that my dear, dear Tiptree had held this very copy in her hands, long, long before. As on the day the news of her death came, tears.

I may yet be able to give this book to the Tiptree Auction, but not soon
Nadine Jones
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Since the short story is not listed on GR, I'm using this title instead.

Short story: Love is the Plan and the Plan is Death

Possibly the weirdest short I've ever read.
So tiny you, hidden under a leaf! Shrilling Li! Li! Lililee! Trilling, thrilling-half mocking, already imperious. Oh, how I whirl, crash, try to look under my feet, stop frozen in horror of squashing the Lilili! Lee! Rocking, longing, moaning Moggadeet.

Read it yourself here: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fic...
Hattas Martin
Najviac sa mi páčili poviedky s tragickým koncom, hlavne Poslední let doktora Aina mal vynikajúci záver. Fandil som mu od začiatku príbehu, žiaľ... V závere knihy prekvapila poviedka Posledního odpoledne s entitou Noion a divnými bytosťami z mora.

Za zmienku by určite stáli aj nasledujúce poviedky:
Všechny druhy souhlasu,
Dívka která bila zapojená,
Milá Candy...
Bill
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, early (her 2nd published book) collection of stories from Tiptree (pseudonym of Alice Sheldon).

At the time of publication, Tiptree's real identity was unknown. There must have been some speculation that Tiptree might be female. In his introduction, Robert Silverberg opines that Tiptree's stories must have been written by a male. (In his view, Austen's novels could only have been written by a female, and Hemingway's work could only have been written by a male; in the same way, Tip
Andrew
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have such a weird relationship with short stories (and their collections); for some reason I hate them. They are never short enough to read on the toilet, and oddly not long enough to compel me to read a full book. I've read every Stephen King novel and novella, but I mostly skip his s.s. collections. For instance, it took me thrice as long to read this slim (222 pp) volume as it did to read Startide Rising.

At any rate, this rare, out-of-print (?) book was certainly worth the $9 I paid for it
Yui
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
"Love is the plan, the plan is Dead" was one of my favorites. It's a bit sexual (as usual with her works) yet sad in the end..

Sometimes her works are puzzling to me, but I am generally very attracted to them. This book can be light reading, yet very interesting to do so.
Highly recommend to anyone who love to read something other than typical love stories.

------------------------

"Love is the plan, the plan is Dead"という話がとても衝撃的な、短編集です。Tiptree(Jamesというペンネームだけど女性です)の作品は、謎掛けのような感じで、不思議なものが多いんですけど、この
Bonnie Stufflebeam
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aaron
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Highlights for me included "The Women Men Don't See," "Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death," "The Girl Who Was Plugged In," and "Fault." The writing at the beginning was definitely less skillful, but I did like some of the ideas presented.
Julie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Jo Walton
I have gotten into Tiptree thanks to reading Among Others by Jo Walton. I haven't regretted it. This particular volume was enjoyable, but hasn't stuck with me in any solid way.
Caer Glas
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lovely collection of short stories. A bit dated now, perhaps, but well worth picking up.
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not quite as good as Brightness Falls from the Air...but almost.
Mary Bala

• The Left Hand of the Electron
  • The Fate of Mice
  • The Two of Them
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Half the Day is Night
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • This Star Shall Abide (Children of the Star, #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-Second Annual Collection
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
"James Tiptree, Jr." was born Alice Bradley in Chicago in 1915. Her mother was the writer Mary Hastings Bradley; her father, Herbert, was a lawyer and explorer. Throughout her childhood she travelled with her parents, mostly to Africa, but also to India and Southeast Asia. Her early work was as an artist and art critic. During World War II she enlisted in the Army and became the first American fem ...more