Start by marking “The Vampire's Vacation (A to Z Mysteries, #22)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire's Vacation (A to Z Mysteries, #22)

The Vampire's Vacation (A to Z Mysteries #22)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,327 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
When Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose follow a pale, dark-haired stranger into Ellie's Diner, he vanishes. But Ellie has a cut on her neck . . . or could it be a bite? Could there really be a vampire in Green Lawn? Illustrations.
Published 2004 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire's Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire's Vacation

Blue
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Silly but cute.

It was odd that that children never simply asked the adults where the bandages came from, or why they needed one at all but some leeway for being silly is not unreasonable.
Jessica Loomis
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A fun mystery that my 4-year old insists that we re-read together as we delve into the world of chapter books and vampires. This book is not at all scary, a more humorous introduction to vampires. Three kids try to figure out who the mysterious, pale man-in-black is who is wondering around their town and randomly disappearing into shops.
Quinton
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I was young I read all of the A to Z Mysteries religiously. I loved them.

But I love "The Vampire's Vacation" all the more now because I have used it in the classroom. As an ESL teacher in Tajikistan, I selected this book because it was one of the few the American Embassy's library in our town had that was of an appropriate level. It was a wonderful success.

The book is written in plain and simple but real English. It has new vocabulary words like "grin," "band-aid," "gasp," and "fangs," but
Marlee
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So far out of this series, my children (ages 6 and 10) enjoyed this book more than any of the others. They certainly enjoyed the other books, but this one just totally captivated their attention. They found it fun, fast-paced, exciting, funny, silly, and just great. A great book for young fans of this series.
Karina
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about these A to Z Mystery books a few years ago, but forgot about them. Then my sister-in-law reminded me about them, and I thought these might be some books my 7 year old will finally enjoy! And I was right! I remember liking mysteries when I was younger, so I'm glad I could find some decent books that my son will enjoy, and that are actually fun for me too!
Tricia
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I would place the A to Z Mysteries up on the list of series paperbacks as fun and enjoyable to read. Would definitely read another book in the series based upon the first impression this funny story about a suspected vampire established.
Luke Ewell
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Josh finds out that there is a disappearing, strange person. When he disappears, the store owners have the same bandaid. Is the man a vampire or not?
Rebecca Caufman
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This mystery has a surprise ending and is FILLED with red herrings!
Tara
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cautionary tale about jumping to conclusions. Pretty funny. These books are so fun.
Emma
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was cute.
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
Seth
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: by-myself
They recycled newspapers. the newspaper was from Ruth Rose's basement. They found a strange person. Josh thought he was a vampire. Ruth Rose reconized him. Read to find out more about story.
luhvBOOKS
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: The Vampire's Vacation

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #22

Rating: ★★★★

Summary: V is for Vampire... Grab your garlic, Green Lawn! When Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose follow a pale, dark-haired stranger into Ellie’s Diner, he vanishes! But Ellie has a cut on her neck... or could it be a bite? Could there really be a vampire in Green Lawn? And could Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose be his next victims?

Review: I like this cover and mystery. Kind of scary at the time.

Things I Loved: The V mystery!

T
Shashvat
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose are at the supermarket and they see a strange man with pale skin, a cape, black hair and sunglasses. They suspect that he could be a vampire. When they look at the grownups, they all have the same type of Band-Aid on their necks! Then they find out his name is
Dr. A. Cula!!!!!!!!! But at the end they find out he was an actor named Jimmy Jett who was just trying to play a fun trick on them. I love this book a lot.
Angela
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great beginning mystery book for early readers. My daughter enjoyed it thoroughly. With each clue given, she started developing her own theories about who and what was happening.

Although adult help did enter into the mystery, the children were allowed to explore the clues by themselves before determining their need for help.

The paranormal twist was wonderful, too!

A great read!
Beth Anne
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, read-aloud
Read aloud to Emma and Will. We weren't so sure about reading this book because of the vampire storyline, but I gave it a preview and decided to go ahead with it. I only edited a few lines while reading (in favor for a longer explanation about the myths behind vampires). On the whole, the plot was fun and the heart of the story was actually a really great message of not jumping to co conclusions and looking beyond outward appearances. I'm glad we didn't skip over this book in the series.
Dolly
Oct 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We're working our way through the alphabet in the A to Z Mysteries series (only 4 more to go!) And though this book isn't about Halloween, the vampire theme is perfect at this time of year. Our girls really enjoy these books and I like that this one is a little more light-hearted than some of the others.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When dink and his friends see a vampire and there grown up friends all have the same band aid on they think that the vampire they saw is biting everyone in there town they think there next on the list.
Janetkc7wvy
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this last night. It is one in a series called A to Z Mysteries. There are 3 friends Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose who get into all sorts of adventures. Each book's title starts with a different letter of the alphabet. I rated this through my child eyes.
Melissa Namba
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-lucy
This was a friendly book, with little science. It is a case of suspicious kids and mistaken identity. Also, I think most kids have wished that this happened to them at one time or another. Meeting a celebrity! Being invited to a premier!
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the first book of the A to Z Mystery series that I read. I think this was a great book in the series that would be an easy and enjoyable read for lower elementary students. I would recommend these books to kids who love mysteries!
Amy "the book-bat"
This was a fun little "mystery" geared toward 3rd graders. I would have loved this at that age.

Is there really a vampire loose in Green Lawn? Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are on the case to find out.
Ages 4-8 Amazon/ Gr1-3 me
moral: don't judge a book by its cover
Emelia
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute story...
Audrey Robledo
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a fun book to read and very silly.
Austin Phadoungsyavong
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Those kids saw vampire look like real because wear black robe and glass that why but not real cause change bat when fast anywhere place.
Andrew
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
it was good.
Robert
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-owen
For Owen, he likes vampires. For me, I'd hoped for more actual mystery in the story though the hint of a supernatural element was fun.
Nora
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like how there is a dog that belonged to a crook and it became Josh's dog in the A to Z mysteries.
Sara
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The actor for Dracula was playing a prank on them, but they get to see the movie with him. I recommend this book to those that love mysteries. ...more
  • Nate the Great San Francisco Detective
  • Homework Hassles (Ready, Freddy!, #3)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • The Scary Snake Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #17)
  • Hail! Hail! Camp Dragononka (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #17)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
“It’s Party Purple,” 0 likes