Start by marking “Marked (Soul Guardians #1)” as Want to Read:
Marked (Soul Guardians #1)

Marked

(Soul Guardians #1)

***READERS’ FAVORITE AWARD WINNER***

Sixteen-year-old Kara Nightingale is unpopular, awkward and positively ordinary—that is until one day she is struck by a bus and dies...Within moments her life changes from ordinary to extraordinary as she wakes up in a mysterious world with a new career—as a rookie for the Guardian Angel Legion. Kara is pulled into the supernatural wher
Published March 21st 2011 by Kim Richardson (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marked, please sign up.
Hanna
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Marked (Soul Guardians #1)
Kay
Mar 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angry chimps

No, monkey, NO! Do NOT mislead the readers!

I give up. If you asked me whether gauging my eyes out with a spoon would be less painful than the thought of finishing this book, I'd be inclined to agree.

Well, not really. But still.

I read 50% of this book, and I can't read any longer. This book is just bad. Badly plotted, badly written, and just plain bad. The dialogue is immature, and the story is stagnant. The concept is inoffensive yet unoriginal: A girl dies and is recruited to become a guar
Midu Hadi
I started this book without reading the GR synopsis for it and so I wasn't prepared for what happened.
What I liked about the book:
Almost 5 pages into the book and the MC died..she actually died! The story started with a bang and it just got better.
The world of the Guardian Angels is a beautiful and strange place and the author describes it well.
Additions like, the primate elevator operators and avian bus drivers only made the world unique.
Instead of all angels being perfectly sculpted and in
Cindy

“I don’t speak to traitors— I kill them.”

I didn't like this book. The only reason I decided to read it was because it got a 2011 Readers Favorite award...

I know I shouldn't judge anyone for liking this, but, I mean, I'm at a loss. It's probably meant to be read by pre-teens and not those of us trying our best to forget we were ever awkward teenagers. I don't know, but people need to raise their standards.
Fuck, that sounds so mean and, again, people are entitled to their own opinion and more t
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Marked is another example of why the self-published route is so flawed. It had a good idea behind it and elements of the story were well-imagined. However, it was in dire need of an editor to take a red-pen to it.

Kara was a promising protagonist, but her voice got lost. She tended to think in witty-one-liners which were often so incongruous to the situations she was in that it was hard to take her seriously. Her character tended to take even the most bizarre situations with a flippant acceptanc
Annie
Jun 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I pride myself on reserving judgment on novels until I've finished them. Leaving books unfinished leaves a bad taste in my mouth until I get around to read them in full, and I don't think it's fair to review a book you haven't completely read, just in case the end compensates for some of the flaws.
But for once in my life, I find myself unable to make myself finish a book. It was that bad. I'm 83% through it and i just can't make myself finish it.

First off, there's no content in this book. It al
Adam Bourke
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is possibly the hardest review I've had to write. Not because the book was bad, in fact I was rather impressed by it. No, the reason that it's been hard to review is that it's closest book I've come to on my review blog that could be classed as "chick-lit". It's unfamiliar territory for me.

But don't let this stop you from reading it! The majority of my blog's readers are male, but I would still say that they should consider this book. Especially if they are looking for a light, easy read.

Bu
Jayde Scott
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, angels, paranormal, demons
Marked was a great read with a fun character, Kara, who used to live a rather mundane life that consisted of painting and eating ice-cream all the time before she's hit by a bus and dies. Waking up she finds herself in an elevator, light engulfing her as she's taken to Orientation. Pretty soon it becomes clear: prior to her birth, Kara was marked and now she's dead and alone in Heaven, waiting for her apprenticeship to begin. David is supposed to teach her how to be a guardian angel, which is th ...more
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
An awesome, fun and funny read that I just gobbled up and finished lickety split.
Abby
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible. In its defense, it's not offensively terrible, and it has a certain "so bad it's good" amusement level, but there's something very immature about the whole thing, as though it were written by a sixteen-year-old instead of simply starring one.

All of the characters behave in an extraordinarily melodramatic fashion, making most of them come off as cartoonish caricatures, an impression not helped by the sheer silliness of some aspects of Horizon. All dialogue is riddled with
lobelyys (tired af)
This could have been so good but obv there are annoying things in this kind of book, like...

- is there a problem? Here is the way to resolve it with no quest on how to find it.

- Of course the mc is the most powerful and incredible thing existing in the whole universe even tho her power came five minutes ago.

- The kind of insta love (i have no problems with insta love, if it's done well, but of course it's not done here).

It's all annoying, but i'm a masochist so i'm gonna read the next of the se
Alaina
Marked is kind of hard to write a review for. I feel so unsure of how I should rate it or write it.. since I've already read 4 books into this series. Okay, so the first book is pretty interesting. It could have been more amazing than it was..if the main character wasn't so annoying.

Okay, so Kara, THE MC, was just an okay kind of character. She did nothing for me. Yes, she was funny and caring.. but that's about it. Then there's David, who was an asshole. I wanted to punch him so many times.. or
Norah Una Sumner
Okaaaaay.This was passionless.
The story itself is pretty interesting and could be made into something freaking amazing,but the characters...Jesus Christ.The main character,Kara,is okay,I have to admit that.She can be funny and caring,but for a leading lady,she's nothing special.Her knight in shining armor-David-is an asshole.An ignorant douche full of himself.He won't leave the archangel Gabriel alone,he has a mortal enemy Benson and is a some kind of trainer to our Kara.The ''romance'' between
Dawn Vanniman
I got stuck in an airport last weekend, so I downloaded several free books on my Nook. I sometimes like to live dangerously!

So basically, Kara dies and becomes a guardian angel. She's partnered with David, who's been a GA for quite awhile.

The things I liked about the story:

1 - BAM! The main character dies immediately. The story starts out amazingly.

2 - the elevators in Horizon (level of Heaven) are run by primates. Kind of nasty primates. Funny.

3 - guardian angels aren't all perfect and beautifu
Brooke
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
My thoughts going into this were: Oh god, another angel book where the main girl clearly will end up with the main guy after some sort of incident where she nearly gets killed after her abandons her because of some misunderstanding. Yeah. I was pretty spot on for the most part, but some things where better then I thought, and I ended up liking it a lot more then expected.

Like, I enjoyed that she wasn't some fluffy angel that didn't have a real point for her being an angel, except that angels are
Emma
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg loved this book so much! (view spoiler) I hated the ending but loved it at the same time I felt sorry for David having to pretend that he doesn't know her and that she recognise him but she can't remember anything at all like she never left in the first place.

basically it's about a 16 year old who dies and becomes a guardian angel and at
Sharon Tyler
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marked by Kim Richardson is the first book in the young adult series call Soul Guardians. Kara Nightingale is sixteen, and on her way to being a great artist, if she can just get to one presentation. However, an accident introduces her to a new job as an Guardian Angel trying to save souls from those that would like to destroy them. She must adapt to a strange new world, to she has to help her is David, a Petty Officer in the ranks who becomes her friend. But, when unusual events led to thoughts ...more
Ann
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I can't finish this. If this book has gone through the hands of an editor I'll be very surprised. If it has the editor needs to be fired.

The writing was juvenile and stilted, therefore preventing the story to flow. It got worse as the story progressed; useless details were thrown at the reader while at the same time having serious pacing issues.

We meet the main character Kara running towards her own presentation when she gets hit by a bus, goes to Horizon and then becomes one of the guardian ang
Crimsonsigh
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Repost from Amazon Review:
I wanted to like this book more, I did. I liked the characters and the story. It was well-written and in a lot of ways, I found it hard to believe this was a first novel.
I think Richardson is a talented author and I will be reading the next book, for sure.

But the biggest drawback of this book is that it is so HARD to connect with a character that has no backstory. And baby, I mean NONE. I know nothing about her going in except she has brown hair that hangs down her ba
Margaret Metz
I almost didn't finish the book. I try to make a point of never doing that and I believe that sometimes you can be surprised by how much better a book gets. That didn't happen here.

It may have been a new approach, but it was somewhat offensive to anyone who is a Christian because a lot of the terminology (angel, archangel, soul, guardian angel, demon ...) have basic understanding and roots there and yet they are twisted and combined with beliefs that have nothing to do with it. Somehow a Chief i
Sift Book Reviews
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sarah
The plot (as in what happens) is pretty interesting. With so many YA angel books out lately, I was expecting a rehash, but I was pleasantly surprised. The end was satisfying, while also leaving the reader wanting to read the next book, though I would have liked to see Kara struggle a little more.

However, the pacing leaves much to be desired. It feels rushed and slow-moving in different parts.

See the full review at: http://siftbookreviews.blogspot.com/2...

Review by: Sarah of Sift Book Reviews
Sift
Mona Green
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book and it is definitely a teen read. I stepped out of my comfort zone and read the book. I gave it a 5 star because I kept wanting to go back to find out what happened next. It kept my interest.
TaQuanda Taylor
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Not sure why anyone would say this book was horrible. I landed on this book after looking for a different book under the same title. It grabbed my attention immediately and held on to it until the last page.
Kathrese
Marked, by Kim Richardson, is the first book in the Soul Guardians series. It’s aimed at teens and young adults, and a point in its favor is that it retains a PG-13 rating. No sex. Not much language. I really appreciate an author who considers the age of the protagonist and the readers as far as content goes, and I hope the rest of the series continues in the same vein.

I kept reading to the end which is another point in its favor because I’ll drop a book like a hot biscuit for all sorts of reas
Emma *insert corn here*
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People in the mood for a bad Shadowhunter rip-off
Are you ever in the mood for a cheap Shadowhunter rip-off with a protagonist that just gets more and more stupid? If so, you have come to the right place.

I'll admit that the first half was pretty entertaining. Sure, it was unoriginal as fuck, and about as deep as your average glass of water, but it was fast-paced and fun. However, as the plot progressed and tried to become more serious, everything just went downhill. Kara's already low intelligence plummeted, David went way out of character (whi
Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader)
My first review of 2020. I decided for this year I will go outside my box and start looking for more variety. The first book I started happens to be a teen YA fantasy.

I rarely read YA anymore but I decided that I should try to read more. Now, some YA makes me want to go to the top of the Empire State Building and scream until people in L.A. hear me. This was one of them.

I didn't like either character which is why I ended up DNFing. It sucks that the first book of this year is a DNF. But alas, I
Abigail Stutzman
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book about afterlife/ angels is okay

While I know that this isn’t what happened when you die this is a pretty cool book.
Is there spiritual warfare going on around us that we cannot see? Yes.
But will we be angels when we dies? Is reincarnation real? No and no.
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant book.
Laura Brown
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-challenge
So great!

Such a great book! I love the new take on angels and demons. Especially guardian angels. The two main characters have a fun entertaining relationship and it keeps the book interesting when “the action” isn’t happening.
Patricia Stephens
The Character strength for Kara in Marked Soul Guardians is bravery when Kara has to save the elemental child from the higher demon asmodeus she used her own elemental power even though she was scared she also never gave up lucky the elemental child.
Priscila Patatas
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

----------------------------------SPOILERS---------------------------------------------------------

4 stars is due to the amount of imagination needed to write this book. Even though the main story is a bit usual (sixteen-year-old teen being undoubtedly attracted to the first hot guy appearing in front of her), I think the whole guardian angel idea is pretty amazing.
All of us certainly have read at least one book about angels/demons. And this one is no different. But I really like the ideia of el

• Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones (The Danaan Trilogy, #1)
  • Nolander (Emanations #1)
  • Catacombs (Academy of Ancients #1)
  • Blood Debt (Touched, #1)
  • Elsker (The Elsker Saga, #1)
  • Fate Bound (Fate Bound Saga #1)
  • Chosen (The Djinn Wars, #1)
  • Awakening (The Equinox Pact #1)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • Dragon's Awakening (Heir of Dragons #1)
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • Hidden Blade (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Blood and Snow (Blood and Snow #1)
  • Relentless (Relentless, #1)
  • Dark Descent (The Arondight Codex Book 1)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
See top shelves…
Kim Richardson is the award-winning author of the bestselling SOUL GUARDIANS series. She lives in the eastern part of Canada with her husband, two dogs and a very old cat. She is the author of the SOUL GUARDIANS series, the MYSTICS series, and the DIVIDED REALMS series. Kim's books are available in print editions, and translations are available in over 7 languages.

Soul Guardians (8 books)
  • Elemental (Soul Guardians #2)
  • Horizon (Soul Guardians #3)
  • Netherworld (Soul Guardians #4)
  • Seirs (Soul Guardians #5)
  • Mortal (Soul Guardians #6)
  • Reapers (Soul Guardians #7)
  • Seals (Soul Guardians #8)