Start by marking “Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch” as Want to Read:
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

One wintry day, a postman delivers a mysterious package with a big pink bow to a lonely man named Mr. Hatch. "Somebody loves you" the note says.

"Somebody loves me!" Mr. Hatch sings as he dusts his living room. "Somebody loves me!" Mr. Hatch whistles as he does his errands in town. "But who, " Mr. Hatch wonders, "could that somebody be?"

After some time, Mr. Hatch discovers
Published January 1st 2006 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch

Melki
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Hatch lives a drab, gray life.

description

Every week day, he takes a long dreary walk to the shoelace factory where he works. Every lunch is the same: a cheese and mustard sandwich with a prune for dessert. Then it's home to spend the evening all alone. But one day, Valentine's Day to be precise, the mailman brings Mr. Hatch a large package wrapped in brown paper. It's a huge heart-shaped box, filled with candy.

description

And, it comes with a card that says "Somebody loves you."

Suddenly, Mr. Hatch is filled with
Mariah Roze
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story that shared the message that everyone needs to feel love to be fully fulfilled.
SurLeFur ©
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love reading Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch. I like that Mr. Hatch keeps to himself! I think I know a folk tale that has a character just like Him! I just couldn’t wait to see who Mr. Hatch’s “secret admirer” was! Have you ever sent someone a gift for a special occasion? This book is about friendship and community ties. “Don’t frown because you don’t ever know who’s falling in love with your smile.”
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one! My favorite Valentine's-themed children's book so far.
Josiah
Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
It's amazing how one little thing, even something as serendipitous as a happy accident, can alter one's mental perspective and so make for eventual major change in one's entire life.

That is what's at work in this book. Mr. Hatch is a somewhat cold, distant man, who takes little notice or care regarding those around him and simply lives his own life, impervious to outside influences. Until, that is, one Valentine's Day when he receives a package in the mail. It's a heart-shaped box of chocolate
Noura
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
We need someone to love us, in the times when we don't love ourselves..

Loved it..
Echo
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
Just a great feel-good book, that for some wonderful reason, my kids adore.

Mr. Hatch is a solitary man until one day when he recieves a surpise valentine from a secret admirer. This prompts him to do good deeds for everyone he comes in contact with until Mr. Hatch is a favorite of everyone in the neighborhood. Then the postman comes to tell Mr. Hatch that the valentine was delivered on accident & wasn't actually for him. Poor Mr. Hatch! He doesn't think anyone loves him anymore & falls b
Camie
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best Valentine's Day picture book ever, with a message that is as meaningful to my Grandchildren as it was to my children. If you haven't read it, treat yourself !! A classic right up there with Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree.
5 stars
Terri
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Raisa Marrow
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch is a story about an ordinary man named Mr. Hatch who is very lonely and goes about the events of his everyday life alone. He eats alone at work, does not look store clerks in the eye or talk to friends/family, etc. He does not feel the true weight of his own loneliness until he receives an anonymous Valentine which leads him to believe their is someone out their who cares about him only to find out it was delivered to him by mistake. His neighbors, friends and cowor ...more
Krista
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh this book is the best! My kids and I loved it. I'm grateful to my very good friend for giving this to my family for Valentine's!!!

Mr. Hatch does everything alone, he keeps to himself, has the same routine everyday. Then one day the postman delivers a package that makes him smile! He starts to think about who sent it, starts coming out of his shell. He is touched by this jester of love and can't wait to uncover the person who loves him.

This book tells adults and children that being loved is sp
Maura
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hugh-read
I got this book from the library last year for my 4 year old for Valentine's Day and he absolutely loved this heartwarming story about how love can create more love in the world. We read it, conservatively, a zillion times before we returned it to the library. And now that Valentine's Day is coming up, my now-5 year old son said today, unprompted, "I can't wait to read the Mr. Hatch story again now that it's Valentine's Day!" A book that enduring in the mind of a small boy is pretty special.
Kris
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sob. I love you, Mr. Hatch! This is the sweetest. My 12-year old was listening in as I was reading this to my 6-year old, and she yelled, “It was a mistake, wasn’t it?! He got it by mistake! Poor Mr. Hatch!” right as the postman came to see Mr. Hatch. And my 6-year old was very relieved that somebody did love Mr. Hatch after all.
Aletse Serrato
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I think it was ok
Susanchitter
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very sweet book. On Valentine's Day Mr. Hatch receives a box of candy and a note that says,
" somebody loves you." Mr. Hatch is a lonely man whose life changes in that moment.
Adam
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The perfect Valentine's story!

The artwork is a starting to look a little dated, but will still hold appeal with your elementary aged child. The true charm of this book is in the the narrative. The main character, Mr. Hatch, goes from a dull, gray, lonely life to that of humble-kind-good-friend-to-all. It was always in him, he just needed something to connect him to those around him and it comes as a super-large heart shape box of candies from an anonymous admirer... but little does he know that
Adriana
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the best Valentine's Day picture book I've ever read. Mr. Hatch does the same thing day in and day out. He doesn't have any friends so he is surprised when he gets a package in the mail. A note attached to the large heart shaped candy box reads - "Somebody Love You." Now Mr. Hatch is seeing the world in a whole new light. He's making friends and laughing all the time. But, what will happen when he discovers the note wasn't for him?

I felt so sorry for Mr. Hatch. He was just a lonel
babyhippoface
Very sweet tale of how our actions--even small ones--can change lives. Mr. Hatch lives alone, goes to work, goes home, never talks, never smiles, goes to bed, and... that's all. Mr. Hatch is lonely, he just doesn't realize it. But everything changes one Valentine's Day when a package is delivered straight to him, and inside is a giant box in the shape of a heart, full of chocolates, with a note that says, "someone loves you." In one moment, Mr. Hatch has a new outlook on life. Someone loves me? ...more
Relyn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elementary students and their teachers and parents
Recommended to Relyn by: Storyline Online
Shelves: 2019-reread
I first encountered this book on the amazing Storyline Online youtube channel. Hector Elizondo was reading it, and he was simply perfect. I just love this book! During library, we read it the week before Valentine's Day. Afterward, we discussed using Valentine's Day to show love to more than just the usual people - mom, dad, teacher, best friend. Each student chose someone they don't really know in the school and had the challenge to be extra kind to that person all week. Then, the next week in ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Mr. Hatch has a colorless life of work and ham sandwiches, until the day a Valentine heart arrives at his door. Somebody loves him, but who? Moved by the gift, Mr. Hatch passes the love on to all those around him, and brings joy to his world. Then he discovers that the heart was delivered to him by accident, and he is crushed. He goes back to his old ways, only to worry all his new friends. They have a surprise party to reassure them that he IS loved. Give love to get love!
ABC
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, this is a sweet story about a lonely man who get a heart-shaped box of candy for Valentine's Day. My son was entranced by the huge box of chocolates and I am pretty sure he would love to receive it, too!

This book makes me want to go out and buy chocolates for people who live alone.

This book is also currently available at http://www.storylineonline.net/ which was something I didn't realize.
Christian Padgett
This was WOONNNDERRFFULLL!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Mr. Hatch lives a simple life and keeps to himself. One day he gets a Valentine and he his whole demeanor changes. He becomes more open to people and realizes that he can help others and others help him. It is a great book to use to show how small things can make a very big difference in someone's life for we do not always know what others are going through.
Samantha Lazar
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
A lonely shoelace factory worker is sent a valentine card, or so he thinks. When he thought someone really cared about him, it changed the way he socialized with other people. He became more friendly and outgoing. However, he finds out that the card wasn't meant for him and shuts down. The people that he made friends with miss him, and he realizes that people do really care about him.
Ruth
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so sweet and made me want to cry in the best possible way! Showing love to someone can change their life.
Rola | رُلى
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
you think you know everything about someone but you know nothing

everyone needs love, especially those who you can't remember seeing them smiling
Carrie
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This Valentine's book brought tears to my eyes! It is a really sweet book about loneliness and frienship.
Shirleen
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Read this cute children's book for Valentine's Day. Loved the message - people always do better when they know they are loved. My daughter-in-law recommended it to me.
Marcia
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
The best valentine book of all time. How can you not love a man who works in a shoelace factory?!!! Touching book about love and friendship.
Valary
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute Valentine's story
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I have a friend just across the street who reads this to her school class every Valentine's Day. She used to teach 4th grade but now she teaches 6th. I can see why she reads it every year. It illustrates so perfectly that when we feel loved we are much more likely to reach out to others with love. And it illustrates that to make someone feel loved doesn't take some big act, just a little thoughtfulness. It's the perfect book to remind us to reach out to those who might not have a lot of love com ...more

• Love, Ruby Valentine
  • Micawber
  • Regards to the Man in the Moon
  • Madam President
  • Traction Man Is Here!
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.