Start by marking “The Art of Family: Rituals, Imagination, and Everyday Spirituality” as Want to Read:
The Art of Family: Rituals, Imagination, and Everyday Spirituality

The Art of Family: Rituals, Imagination, and Everyday Spirituality

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"It is not the lack of time that crushes our family lives, it is the lack of presence, stricken as we are with the tasks, anxieties and guilt of being in a family. But in between what we all struggle with: the parenting, spousing, cleaning up, working, and carving out a minute or two for yourself, how do you give yourself to your children in the conditions you find yoursel ...more
Published May 11th 1998 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Family

Kristen
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book breathes imagination and spirituality into the most quotidian aspects of family life. Written by an anthropologist, the tone and format is unique and interesting. It's organized into sections by theme and within each section are dozens of meditations -- as short as a paragraph or two but no more than a few pages, which makes it a perfect book to pick up when you have a moment of quiet, but not much longer.
Shannon
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, soulcare
I'm not much of a reader of parenting books. There are a few reasons for this: 1) non-fiction books bore me 2) I don't like to be told what to do and 3) I have found parenting to be more detective work than formula following. Many parenting books seem to want the reader to believe that if they do A, B and C, then X, Y and Z will happen. Instead of writing a book about inputs and outputs, in The Art of Family Gina Bria has written a book about imagination and faith and how the two weave together ...more
Alice
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I flew through this book and loved every page! Nita Andrews recommended it when we asked her about parenting books. Because it is about family, when it covers imagination, play and touch, it is framed in the context of all family relationships. The encouragement, hope and ideas I found here for building a lasting family unit that grows along with our marriage and our children will continue to shape this house.
Molly
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
This book was inspirational and enjoyable overall, though I was hoping for more ritual (rather than descriptions of how bedtime can be a ritual) in terms of actual ceremony (there is none). A very lyrical writing style and gentle reminders about what really matters in family life. The book ended abruptly and I was actually briefly convinced I'd received a partial edition somehow.
Claudia
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Intelligent perspective on the "how to" of family life: integrating imagination, culture, and play in the building of a family. The book doesn't just focus on kids, which is refreshing, given the types of books that tend to fall into this genre.
B.j. Larson
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, parenting
This book came to me as a new parent. I now have adolescent children and it continues to be an encouragement to focus on helping our family love and enjoy each other. It has been a significant tool and a gift for me in these years and I'm thankful for it's insight and wisdom.
Chandra
Oct 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's always good to get some fresh ideas
Savitha Krishna
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Instead of giving people "what to expect when expecting" or other banal pregnancy book, I think this book is far more useful. My new go to gift for first time parents.
Sara
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this with a few other moms and enjoyed the ideas and discussion that followed. It feels a little patchwork at times, but by the time I finished it I appreciated some overall themes and take-aways that had solidified for me. It's a unique book, and I think most people would appreciate the fresh inspiration for creating and preserving a family that it offers.
Susan