Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)” as Want to Read:

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

(The Mysterious Benedict Society #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  41,929 ratings  ·  2,527 reviews
The fearsome foursome is back in the second installment of the New York Times bestselling series praised by Rick Riordan!

The Mysterious Benedict Society is up against a new mission, significantly closer to home. After reuniting for a celebratory scavenger hunt, Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are forced to go on an unexpected search--a search to find Mr. Benedict. It
Published May 1st 2008 by Little, Brown and Company

Hadassah You could say that. I loved this book as much as the first one, and I really liked the first one a lot!!
Sarah Munh I think this, too. I think that Reynie chose to trust Captain Noland because Mr. Benedict trusted him and the team had to save Mr. Benedict and Number…moreI think this, too. I think that Reynie chose to trust Captain Noland because Mr. Benedict trusted him and the team had to save Mr. Benedict and Number Two from Mr. Curtain. Also, Reynie knew that in order to save them, was to actually go on the adventure previously planned.(less)

·  41,929 ratings  ·  2,527 reviews

Start your review of The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
Paul
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
A slow starter. When the author ties together a whole complete book, then he'll really have something, but the first book in this series was a strong starter and then trailed off, and this 2nd book is a slow starter and a poor (far too abrupt) finisher, but the middle section of the book really delivers.

I'd like to see more actual intelligence put down on the page as well. The four children are supposedly super intelligent, but Sticky's contributions are generally of the "he's super well read,
Julie S.
I enjoyed the first book so much that I wanted to read this one shortly after. I was delighted to see more of the Mysterious Benedict Society since the story is so enjoyable, and the characters are so fun.

The illustrations that start each chapter are charming, and I loved the cover that tried to incorporate so many things from the book. The illustrator did a great job.

The author never talks down to his child audience. It is always a good sign when a children's author does not talk down to them.
Kate Willis
After the magic that was The Mysterious Benedict Society, I ordered the sequel from Book Outlet* and put it in the “Read This Sometime, It’s Gonna Be Good” queue.

It was good. :D

I love how the characters were affected (for good and for ill) from the first book and the growth that happened in them. And it was great to see the bonds between them strengthen. Reynie and Constance have a particularly sweet sibling-ish relationship. Speaking of Reynie, his struggles always speak so much to me and are
Mikayla
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't really love this first book in this series, but the writing style was irresistible, so I decided to try the second. I am so glad I did. This book was delightful, funny, and the characters got even better than they were in the first book.
While Renny is still practically the MC, Kate took a larger role in this book, which was fun. Kate is such a rambunctious, lovable character.
I absolutely adored Renny and Contstances relationship in this book. Their almost brother-sister friendship was
Hannah
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Liesl, anyone who enjoyed the first book in the series
Shelves: kid-lit
Lilian
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites, gifts
It's hard for a series to get much better than this, which is why it's the fifth time I'm reading this series.
Amanda
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really fun! It’s been years since I read the first one. Puzzle based adventure stories are totally my jam.
Sully
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey is the second book in the series by Trenton Lee Stewart, following The Mysterious Benedict Society. This is one of the few series I hope will never end. When I read the first book in the series, I was completely blown away. I even compared it with the Harry Potter adventures and The Series of Unfortunate Events. There are lots of lessons to be learned, ‘outlook in life’ that must be observed by number of people and mind-blowing questions a ...more
swalterich
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was very excited to begin The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey as I am a big fan of its prequel. The first Mysterious Benedict Society was quirky and exciting, and had actual surprises, which, I find, few books do. This one, however, was a disappointment from the start, and I found the task of actually reading all 440 pages of it (which I did) a rather daunting task. Gone was the mystery and suspense that made the first book such a page turner and I realized that much of th ...more
Marie Tankersley
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
Levi
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great sequel to the first book. I loved the way the author brought the characters together, and had them work together to get out of their hard situations. I liked how this book had the characters go to different areas around the world and how the characters faced their problems. This is a good book for anyone who likes mystery or action novels.
raffaela
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this I was disappointed by it, and I didn't enjoy it as much as it deserved. This time I had more reasonable expectations and liked it a lot more. It's not as good as the first book (that one's kind of hard to beat), but it still has the same wonderful characters, atmosphere, and puzzles all tied together with a fairly good plot-line and is therefore worthwhile.
Chloe  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-at-11
3.25
Not as good as the first book in the series. Very slow to start. I'm not sure if I'll continue reading the series since the third book also has mixed reviews and complaints about a slow developing story.
LONELY TOURIST
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: families
4.5, rounded up because these are the best kids and i am deeply invested in their wellbeing; also, PARALLELS
Leylamaría Nikfarjam
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Noemi claudine
This is the second mysterious benedict society and they are going on even crazier adventures. Mr.. Benedict has gone missing to find a plant called a dustwarth to cure his narcolepsy, and has left clues for the 4 children to follow him there. But when he is there he gets captured from his evil brother Ledropha Curtain and this dangerous team of Ten Men. When The children get this message and set of on the journey. Taking a crazy boat ride and going through the dangerous jungle of an island. The ...more
Becca
4.5 out of 5 stars

The Mysterious Benedict Society series is my comfort read collection. Perilous Journey isn't quite as good as the first book, but it's fantastic in its own way. I still love all the characters and I can't choose one favorite, but Constance is PERFECT in this book. Oh, and the upgraded recruiters are such a nice touch. Apparently Trenton Lee Stewart decided that suave men in fancy suits with shock watches and non-existent hearts just aren't creepy enough; he added a suitcase of
Lauren Minear
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
If I'm being honest, I remember the first book being way better. This one was a tad boring for me and I felt like it dragged on.
Aria
THE CLEVERNESS. I love this more than I did the first time.
Gabrielle Pollack
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will never cease to enjoy. It has such innocence and heart that I can't help but place it beside my favorites.
Madeline O'Rourke
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey is such a fun ride, but also a damn good book.

There's plenty of mysteries and riddles and such to entertain the reader. But what really pleased me (and surprised me, I'll admit) about this book was the characterisation. The characters were far and away the best part of the novel, and in a way that I never would have appreciated as a young reader. Their characterisation is so dynamic; they're always evolving, yet always true to themselves.
Desmond M
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey
Author: trenton lee stewart
Genre: mystery

Recommendation: the Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey is an amazing book because you just fall in love with the characters and you get to see their journey to find the captured person who is in fact mr benedict. You have to read the first book to understand this book at all. It makes no sense if you didn’t read the first book because they're all still going off the sam
Melisa Blok
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book in this series a lot. The second is OK, but it didn't hold my attention as well as the first. Recommended for 8 to 12 year old who are interested in puzzles, treasure hunts, and life-and-death adventures.
blissful and bookish
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved it! There wasn't a single moment when I was bored. I was hooked from beginning to end. I love how every chapter just makes you want to read more. Can't wait to get to the third book in the series!
Lizzie Hutchings
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Mysterious Benedict Society go on another journey that not as suspenseful and exciting as the first one, but still had me on my toes. This book was a success.
Melissa Perret
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a super fun read... even better than the first!
Maya
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
My second read of this book, and still love it! Excitement and mystery are great things to have in a book!
Constance 27 30 Jan 03, 2018 09:55AM
Milligan 5 12 Nov 09, 2015 12:59PM

• The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #2)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • Eva of the Farm
  • Emmy and the Rats in the Belfry
  • The Candymakers (The Candymakers, #1)
  • The Penderwicks in Spring (The Penderwicks, #4)
  • The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2)
  • Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower, #1)
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers; The Secret Keepers, also for young readers; and the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Letters to the author may be sent to:

Trenton Lee Stewart
PO Box 251358
Little Rock, AR 72205

The Mysterious Benedict Society (4 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)