Start by marking “South by South Bronx” as Want to Read:
South by South Bronx

South by South Bronx

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
“Powerful. . . . A redemptive and absorbing work.”—The New York Times Book Review, on Spidertown

“Scary, sexy, exuberant. . . . Rodriguez has seized a truth of our times . . . and given us a crackling good read.”—Los Angeles Times Book Review, on Spidertown

“Rodriguez uses the repetitiveness of life in the ghetto itself to make the tension and desperation of Spidertown achin
Published April 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about South by South Bronx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South by South Bronx

Pete Dematteo
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
What happened? Abraham is usually an incredible writer. Could some cranky publisher have demanded that he write about a plot that didn't interest him in the slightest, perhaps? The book is completely inchoate, than annoying progressive genre where every chapter sounds as if it's belonging to the chapter 3 chapter behind it, so it's impossible to remember any details, or even to want to remember any details. A white gal climbing up a fire escape and entering an open kitchen window without permiss ...more
Izetta Autumn
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Guy Gonzalez
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those books I'm not smart enough to "review," but I highly recommend it for fans of modern noir with a twist. In this case, the twist is a staccato, poetic flow that might take some getting used to, but 25-30 pages in, Rodriguez hits his stride (or, more likely, I finally met his pace) and delivers an intricately layered, literary gut punch of a novel. 25 pages from the end, I missed four trains on purpose this morning in order to finish it before getting to work!
Michelle
Oct 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
The last 100 pages or so came together nicely but it was a positive slog to get through the rest, not enough energy or coherent language to make me want to keep picking it up. The editing was so awful and the stylistic choices made by the author were painful.
pan ellington
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved, loved, loved. rodriguez' prose style has left me speechless. different, refreshing, challenging.
Yahaira
Apr 29, 2008 is currently reading it
Still on the fence about this one. Not so sure I like his style of writing. However, as the story unfolds I find myself becoming intrigued with the interconnecting characters storylines.
Alan
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alan by: Publisher had booth at Brooklyn Street Fair
Great modern noir mystery set in the South Bronx told from multiple perspectives.
Zach
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Rodriguez spills poetery across the page in loving sprinkles.
Not only is this a stellar Noir mystery novel, it's a beautiful piece of writing,
Ero
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-liberry
Clever & enjoyable contemporary noir.
Pam
May 10, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: new-york-mystery
05/09/08 purchase at MOTB
Emily
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
so far, I don't like it very much, it's taken this many pages and I'm still not that into it. I hope that in the next 50 pages I'll like it, if not it's going back to the library.
Vanessa
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
South Bronx a place where Monk faced with a drug dealer who he knows stole money and is being chased. does he wrong from right or good vs evil?
Tuck
Aug 20, 2013
Blanca López
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2012
Author Abraham Rodriguez Jr. is an author well-versed in the hardships of city life. Born and raised in the Bronx, New York, he has opened the doors of inner-city America to the world by writing about an environment he knows best: his own.

Mr. Rodriguez is best known for his books The Boy Without A Flag, a 1993 New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and Spidertown, winner of a 1995 American Book
More about Abraham Rodriguez Jr....