Start by marking “Wheelers” as Want to Read:
Wheelers

Wheelers

In the year 2270, with travel to the nearby planets well established, a bizarre discovery is made on Callisto, the eighth moon of Jupiter. Dozens upon dozens of strange wheeled artifacts ("wheelers"), hundreds of thousands of years old, are found buried beneath the icy surface. What were they used for, and who left them in our solar system? At the same time, it is discover ...more
Published November 21st 2000 by Aspect (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wheelers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheelers

Peter Tillman
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread-list, fantasy
A very good SF first-contact novel, with some first-novel rough spots. Both authors are accomplished British scientists, and there are some truly mind-boggling moments in the book. The prose is flat and transparent, but we hard-SF fans are willing to put up with a fair amount of less than inspiring prose to get to the Big Ideas. Some of the dramatic moments are pretty contrived. The payoff was well-worth some literary clumsiness. And the ending! Nice, surprising twists. It becomes positively Sta ...more
Patrick
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book of alien contact within our solar system. It does a superb job of describing very plausible alien life forms and how contact with them might happen. I found the science and the description of the colonization of the solar system to be very convincing. There is a lot of food for thought here in the speculation of how life has evolved, both on our planet and in the universe. Highly recommended.
Madhu
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If I could I would rate this book as one the greatest books of all time. Reading truly was a profound experience!!
Why? - Because all facts in the book are logical progressions of what we know. Fiction even though make believe should I think be built on some facts which this book completely fulfills for me.
Carl
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great "hard SF" that is intelligent, thought-provoking, farflung scifi novel about saving the world from imminent catastrophe. contains advanced mathematical and scientific concepts, and a very creative and unusual plot! Takes place in the near future but covers eons.
Bookbrow
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This books starts off very slow and builds from there, the science is amazing along with a good story. Well thought out aliens.
Pamr
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like science fiction based in science fact
What happens when two brilliant scientists write a Science Fiction novel. The answer is normally somthing mediocre at best,but in this case something amazing happened a brilliant book - perhaps too realistic for some and not real enough sci fi for others.

It was worth every ounce of brain power I put in to keep up with the concepts but the important thing was I rooted for the main charachter all the way through

A waring about this review - I may look at this book through rose tinted lenses becau
Jackie
The book begins with a long, almost biblical account of an event that isn't properly explained until much later. As if that's not confusing enough, the leading man then [correctly] says that the account is false, and [therefore] chastizes the leading woman for badly translating script found on a newly discovered Egyptian relic ...while she bemoans the fact that she's attracted to his hair and eyes ...and he says she has skills and integrity.

If you're willing to read beyond that uncon
Eric Lawton
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting science fiction ideas but this is written with several story threads that converge at the end. Unfortunately, although some of the threads are worth four stars, others are worth only one. I'm guessing that this is because there are two authors and one is much better than the other.
Although I did finish reading it several years ago, I gave up on this attempt at re-reading because the bad writing didn't outweigh the urge to find out what happened, since I still remembered the rou
David
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Wheelers was the first book loaned to me from the broad Sci-Fi collection of a friend. Clearly, he thought highly of the book as it was the first one he recommended. (I loaned him The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt and Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, Neal.)

I didn't find Wheelers quite as exciting. The pacing was slow and meandering in the first third of the book. The second third of the book was much more interesting. The characters and conflict were well developed and intriguing. By the final 100 pages, resolution was either i
Alan
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For two academic scientists this is a good first go at writing fiction.
Jack Cohen has been imagining truly alien lifeforms for many years, go back to The Legacy of Heorot for his first name check and written in character. So it's great to see his own original work.
Conceptually their ideas are as good as Robert L. Forward, but poor on the cliched characters and how they are represented. This really detracted from the first half of the book, though it was worth persisting with overall. I think if th
j0n
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Uneven writing, possibly due to the presence of two authors, but a nonetheless enjoyable bit of light hard sci-fi. There are parts of brilliance in its take on biology and future human history that make up for the occasional cringeworthy prose. Some of the sci-fi ideas seem a bit of a retread of the likes of Clarke, Niven, etc., but if you're a fan of those sorts of authors you'll probably at least enjoy this, if not be blown away by it.
Joe
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
intelligent, thought-provoking, farflung scifi novel about -- what else? -- saving the world from imminent catastrophe. contains advanced mathematical and scientific concepts, and a very creative and unusual plot, which make it fun to read. the characters are a bit one dimensional, or, where more complex, then with a feeling of being intentionally so.
P Fosten
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, failed
Read 2 chapters, bored the pants off me. Done. Next book.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
a good sci fi read.
D. Meador
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A bit drawn out in places, count have been done just as well in one hundred fewer pages. Nonetheless, it was a good summer read.
Tony
Mar 01, 2018
David
Aug 03, 2008
Suzan
rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2015
isbn,original
Philip
Dec 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Miocene Arrow (Greatwinter Trilogy #2)
  • The Secret of Life
  • Salt
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • The Avatar
  • An Alien Light
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • Dervish is Digital (Artificial Reality Division, #2)
  • Bloom
  • The Second Angel
  • Vast (The Nanotech Succession, #3)
  • Mars Crossing
  • Chronospace
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • The Martian Race (Adventures of Viktor & Julia, #1)
  • Origins of Life
Ian Nicholas Stewart is an Emeritus Professor and Digital Media Fellow in the Mathematics Department at Warwick University, with special responsibility for public awareness of mathematics and science. He is best known for his popular science writing on mathematical themes.
--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See o/>Librarian