Start by marking “Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book” as Want to Read:

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for B00HC6HQ70.

How to sell a ton of books (even if you're starting with no platform).

If you've found this book I'm assuming you have or will soon have a book
out on the market, and are exploring ways to turn it into a best-selling
powerhouse that will slaughter the competition and pay for your
retirement. The indie publishing world is
Published December 27th 2013 by Creativindie (first published December 17th 2013)

Iola
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, book-marketing
This book reminds me of the little girl with a little curl: when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad it was horrid.

I’ll start with the horrid. Murphy has been criticised for suggesting purchasing book reviews. My opinions on paid reviews are well-documented (well, the version of my opinion that’s fit for public viewing). I don’t have a problem with paid reviews—if you’ve got $425+ to blow on a Kirkus Indie review, great, but most indie authors would be better investing that
Michelle Madow
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a MUST READ for authors, no matter what stage they are in their career. I wish it had been around when I independently published my first series, and I'm so glad to have read it before launching my second indie series. I found myself stopping to take notes and apply the advice given many times while reading, and I know that what I've learned will be even more helpful in making sure my upcoming series will be as successful as possible. Derek is helpful, honest, and to the point - he' ...more
Michele Bardsley
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice

I've read a lot of books, blogs, and articles about book marketing, so I wasn't sure what this could offer me. I'm glad I read it. There's really good information and solid advice about marketing and promotion.
Μιχάλης
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is short and it is free, but concerning price and size, its value is immense.

The book never gets too deep into publishing, but for a rookie author (or an old-timer procrastinator like your's truly) it really shines, by giving you a set of guidelines to better promote your book.
It should be noted that there are some underhanded moves proposed that may not be as tolarated today as they were when the book was written.

It is a great stepping stone for budding self-publishers or authors in small pu
Diane Challenor
After reading a few pages, of Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book, I felt confident it was going to be a good read and I wasn’t disappointed.

I’ve been following along with Derek Murphy’s blog from his website creativindie for a few months. It’s full of interesting insights about eBook publishing and cover design. His conversational writing style is clear and easily accessible, so when I realised he had published several books covering self-pu
Elise Edmonds
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative book about marketing in the age of social media. Well worth reading.
Andrea D'Angelo
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for the extremely useful big piece of advice!

I read this book after the same author's one on covers. If there's someone who has helped me to clarify what is mandatory, what is important and what is not for an indie author, that's Derek Murphy. Straight to the point and pumping twice, thrice... in different ways and from different persoectives, just to squeeze your brain of all your doubts and focus your mind. For an ex-published author as I am, going indie is a jump into the void. Now the
Una Tiers
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Many ideas about book marketing were muddled by the author's arrogance and negative slant on almost every page.
Chris Norbury
A solid resource with useful information, although Murphy admits when he updated the book that some of his ideas may not be as effective as they had been when he first wrote the book. It's easy for authors to become obsessed with marketing to the exclusion of writing, so the key takeaway for me was that the best marketing comes AFTER an author has published multiple books (for novelists, that seems to be a series or at least several books in one genre).

Another takeaway is--whatever works for you
Michael Ronn
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other readers have said, this is a good book for newbie authors who are wondering where to start. As someone who's already published two books, and an avid reader who has read pretty much all the self-publishing books out there, there was nothing new in this book for me. But that's not really fair to the author, because he does do a good job of outlining all aspects of publishiing and promotion that are useful, especially if you've never read anything like this before. The book does include u ...more
Will Once
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is an odd mixture of good advice, bad advice and dreadful formatting.

There's lots of good advice. Quite rightly, Derek Murphy talks about improving your book before trying to market it. Reading this book, there were times when I wanted to re-enact that scene from "When Harry met Sally" and create a little puddle on the floor. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then there were some not so good bits which were tantamount to buying reviews. Stuff that you couldn't do these days without Amazon coming down on y
T.B. Markinson
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
What impressed me the most about this book is that it doesn’t make promises, such as if you follow a certain formula you’ll get rich. Instead he offers advice and shows that building relationships using social media is key. Personally, I’m not a fan of authors who spam me about their books and keep shouting: read my book, read my book, read my book. This is not the best way to build a fan base. Instead, Mr. Murphy suggests that fostering relationships with people and developing your author platf ...more
Nicole Huggins
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Useful Content

I bought this book months ago, but I am finally getting the chance to review it. Short and sweet and to the point, this isn't just another marketing book. Trust me, it's not. This is the first marketing book I have read where it isn't talking about the same, washed up book marketing information. This book takes it beyond that. To the psychology of book marketing. It forces you to dig deep inside to determine what brand you want to build, the reasons for it, and how YOU can
Chris Lee
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good starting place for new authors. I appreciate the fact that the author didn't try to bs the reader. He stuck to what he knew and he stressed the importance of a good author bio, reviews and sales copy. This is of monumental importance. A good quick read and good resources and ideas.
D.L. Pitchford
There is a lot of very helpful information for new authors--and it's info that's actually helpful, unlike most of the books that are designed for newbies. BUT this book is also incredibly out of date in regards to some vital information since it was published in 2013 and doesn't appear to have been updated. A lot of the information about social media is misleading.

There are also a couple recommendations that don't sit right with me:
1) It recommends paying for reviews, which goes against my prin
Sarah Spelbring
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying if you're going read this ebook seriously, you're going to need to take notes. I took notes. I might need to reread this and take more notes later.

The author gives you a ton of useful information on many marketing strategies, from building trust with your followers, to building a platform, and then even deciding on a book to write and how to go about writing it.

The main idea though? Focus on the basics. Basics are key, and there are three: a good cover, a good website, a
Eric Beaty
Plenty of advice, but it still seems like an overwhelming amount of work as well as choices for marketing your book. Even though the title states otherwise, this is still a book about marketing, so I'm not exactly sure about the accuracy of the title.

Took a while for me to read because I lost interest several times. Nothing really stood out to me, but I suppose that's relative to everyone's situation since I've already read similar advice to Derek's from many other sources.

This book was free (Ki
Jacqueline Pawl
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books for indie authors

There is no better resource for indie and small-published authors than Derek Murphy and his slew of publishing books, sites, and Facebook groups. I started out a member of his Alliance of Young Adult Authors group on Facebook, but the knowledge shared there can sometimes be confusing because there are so many authors with so many opinions (the old adage of too many cooks). In this book, Murphy has masterfully outlined tips and tricks to help any author, no
Licia Flynn
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice! I love Derek's authentic style & approach.

I never read fantasy, but I can't wait to read (in a few weeks) & review some of Derek's work b/c I try to read everything for the sake of knowing how & why people think a certain way.

Some of my favorite advice from Derek includes -- (1) Focus on the big picture (I'm not sure if he said this exactly; I'm paraphrasing), (2) Readers care more about a good story & less about literary prose, (3) Abandon perfectionism, but
James Fant
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Title! Greater Content

This book tells authors what they need to get right FIRST before they start marketing. The title is great because it draws you in. "Wow! Is marketing really dead?" It reminds me of the scripture "Faith without works is dead..." Now, I am in no way, shape, form or fashion comparing this book to Bible. However, Marketing without doing those first things is essentially a waste of time. Essentially dead. What are those first few things? Read and see. And you too will say,
Sylvia
Like asking a 7 yr old how to make ice cream.

The author is cute, energetic, brimming with optimism, eager to share his wonderful world, and oblivious to the need for brevity, clarity, efficiency.

He speaks in his own language of buzzwords, names of technical tools, acronyms, websites referenced, without regard for the reader's understanding. He's not helping, he's bragging.

He browbeats the reader, repeating his basic tenets at least 5 times, without adding detail or clarity.

Try Joanna Penn, ins
jared silva
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this author on YouTube and wanted to read his books, so i saw this one for free on amazon the other day and just downloaded, and i read a few a book before on this, topic but i wanted to read on his opinion and experience on it myself, and i like his attitude about everything no nonsense approach when he explains to you.
And better yet he went through this himself and just b.s. i would recommend it to anyone who need some kind of insight on the book industry.
T.A.
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hits the highlights

This book covers the importance of getting the basics right first and then marketing.

So good tips and worth a read, especially as it was free. If I read this one first I would have possibly given it more stars but a lot of it was just telling me what I have already read.
Troy Dukart
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO MANY GREAT TIPS! Mr. Murphy does a great job of letting the reader know of how many possibilities there are to succeed as a writer/author.

I'm at Goodreads because of him and now have more knowledge to pursue my own dream of promoting my book.
Charlene A.
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the author presented a lot of information within the book, it was easy to understand and apply and VERY helpful. His suggestions were simple, not a re-invention of the wheel or having the listener/reader feeling as if we're spinning our wheels yet getting nowhere.

I listened to the audiobook several months ago. So, I'm going to revisit it in search of any details I might have missed
Ed Barton
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource

This book is full of useful insights, links, resources, suggestions and practical advice on how to promote your book right. Leveraging a multichannel plan, the author will truly help you promote your book and get more sales. Get. It.
Steven
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good resource

This was one of the better books I've read on marketing seld-published books. Murphy gives specific, easy to follow advice with links to resources and examples. Well worth checking out.
S.K. Gregory
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Some advice was okay, but with all the edits and addons it might have made sense to write a new version.
Anton Lee
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Derek always has loads of info in his videos and this book is no exception. I'll need to re-read it several times to make sure everything sinks in.
Matthew Angelo
Basic

It was free and had some useful information. Kept things simple and didn't bog you down with too much info
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add / remove books from author profile 2 33 Mar 26, 2014 06:07AM

• Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Smashwords Style Guide
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • Secrets of the Six-Figure Author: Mastering the Inner Game of Writing, Publishing and Marketing Books
  • Self-Publishing Books 101: A Step-by-Step Guide to Publishing Your Book in Multiple Formats
  • Wake Up Successful: How to Increase Your Energy & Achieve Any Goal With A Morning Routine
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • How I Wrote My First Book: the story behind the story
  • Why Authors Fail: 17 Mistakes Self Publishing Authors Make That Sabotage Their Success (And How To Fix Them)
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World
  • Social Media Marketing for Publishers
  • Robert's Rules of Writing
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Grammatically Correct
  • Goodreads for Authors
  • How to Make a Living As a Writer
I wrote my MA thesis on Harry Potter and my PhD thesis on Paradise Lost. Now I write YA fantasy novels and design book covers. I blog about self-publishing, book design and book marketing on www.creativindie.com and am renting a castle for Nanowrimo 2016. I hope you like my writing!
“Who would you like to become, and how will you know when” 3 likes