Start by marking “What's the Matter, Habibi?” as Want to Read:
What's the Matter, Habibi?

What's the Matter, Habibi?

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Habibi (Arabic for "my darling") is a camel who usually seems to enjoy his work, giving rides to children. But one day Habibi lies down and absolutely will not get up. "What's the matter?" asks Ahmed, Habibi's owner. Could it be a toothache? A tummy-ache? Habibi isn't telling, but a trip to the Bazaar solves the problem and leaves both Ahmed and Habibi happy. Inspired by a ...more
Published May 24th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published August 18th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What's the Matter, Habibi?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's the Matter, Habibi?

June
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: different culture and hat requests
I came across this while doing a quick and dirty weeding and thought it might be worth keeping so checked it out for my hat program. One girl requested it for a story time program and another boy requested it also (his class was late, so I did a quick reread for him and a classmate while the teachers got everyone else ready. He desperately wanted to check it out, but the teachers had forgotten their cards. 3/19/14

Used again in my story time. Cute story of a depressed camel who wants a fez. 3/10/
Fay
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: printbook, fiction, kids
This is a really cute book that I saw in a used bookstore. I love books that cross cultures so to speak and I bought this book for my nephew at the time. I think it's very important for kids growing up in one parent's culture to be exposed to the other parent's culture as much as possible and even in the simplest of ways like with this short story. It breaks apart the feeling of "foreignness" some kids feel. I liked the book a lot and so did my nephew.
Patricia
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a silly story of a camel in Cairo, and his owner, Ahmed, who wants to know why the camel suddenly is unwilling to give rides to children. As Emma put it, "Slippers for hat. Hat makes camel happy." Maybe younger children would like it.

The watercolor illustrations are the best part of this picture book.
Dolly
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange, but entertaining story about a man and his camel. The watercolor illustrations are a bit fuzzy for my taste, but still humorous. And the narrative is short and describes a bit about Egyptian culture, especially at the bazaar. We enjoyed reading this story together.
George
Quirky and fun. I loved how Ahmed still loved Habibi and didn't became irate at Habibi's shenanigans. The ending lends well to a child who reads this story appreciating Ahmed's struggle and exhaustion (and perhaps being more mindful of the sacrifices their own parents make for them.)
Bonnie Pohlig
A fun story and nice pictures, but the conflict resolution was sort of disappointing and silly.
Amy
Aug 07, 2014
Jen
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, own
There's just something I love about this sweet book.
areadersjourney
Dec 30, 2013
Amydeichert
Jan 14, 2013
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2014