Jump to ratings and reviews
This novella is to be released as part of the Erotica Consortium's anthology - BEND.

An injured Roman Tribunus finds comfort in the touch of the slave commanded to tend to his wounds. As a slave, her value is measured as a couple of coins, but as Tribunus Faustus learns more about her, he begins to understand her true worth. Still, a man of his station can never acknowledge feelings for a slave, and she is already owned by another man.

58 pages, ebook

First published May 5, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Shay Savage

46 books3,670 followers
Shay Savage is an independent author from Cincinnati, Ohio, where she lives with her family and a variety of household pets. She is an accomplished public speaker and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International. Her hobbies include off-roading in her big, yellow Jeep, science fiction in all forms, and soccer. Savage holds a degree in psychology, and she brings a lot of that knowledge into the characters within her stories.

From the author: “It’s my job to make you FEEL. That doesn’t always mean you’ll feel good, but I want my readers to be connected enough to my characters to care.”

Savage’s books many books span a wide variety of topics and sub-genres with deeply flawed characters. From cavemen to addicts to hitmen, you’ll find yourself falling for these seemingly irredeemable characters!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
86 (10%)
1 star
41 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 143 reviews
Profile Image for Shurrn.
559 reviews834 followers
May 19, 2014
A Historical Romance with a touch of heat...
“Are you not here to give me comfort?”
“Yes, Faustus.” She looked at me.
“Then do you believe my length not enough to desire?” Again I raised an eyebrow and granted her half a smile.
“No!” she exclaimed in near-panic. “You are… quite grand.”
Shay Savage writes masterful male POVs, and Worth is a captivating addition to her repertoire.

Even those readers who tend to skip over Historical Romances will find worth (Ha! See what I did there?) in this story of a wounded Roman Soldier and the slave girl who cares for him...

Lucius Aurelius Faustus

He is Tribunus to the Emperor’s army...
He was seriously wounded in battle then stitched up and left to heal in a Roman Hospital. He must not move from his cot, lest he rip his stitching and risk his life.

Aia

She is a slave assisting a Roman surgeon...
Aia must keep constant vigil over Faustus as he heals. The surgeon makes it quite cleat that Lucius Aurelius Faustus is a favorite of the Emperor, and that failure to keep him alive may come with a death sentence for them both.

She must give him any comfort he requires... Considering that the battlefield is absent of women with the beguiling beauty of young Aia, the needs of Lucius Aurelius Faustus become those of companionship and physical contact.

Some of My Favorite Moments:

I read this book as part of the Bend Anthology which features some of the most talented authors currently working in Modern Romance. For my other reviews in the Anthology, Check out the links below:

1 - K. Bromberg - UnRaveled - Read My Review Here
6 - Shay Savage - Worth - You're Reading it
7 - Andrea Smith - These Men - Read My Review Here
8 - Alessandra Torre - Still - Read My Review Here
(bonus) C.D. Reiss - Beg - Read My Review Here

For my overall impressions of the entire Anthology, you can see my full review here

Bend (Bend Anthology) by C.D. Reiss UnRaveled by K. Bromberg COME (Dirty, Dark, and Deadly, #1) by J.A. Huss Red & Wolfe, Part I (Red & Wolfe, #1; Bend Anthology) by Ella James Kick (Songs of Perdition, #1; Bend Anthology) by C.D. Reiss
The Devil in Me (Seven Devils, #1; Bend Anthology) by K.I. Lynn Worth (Bend Anthology) by Shay Savage These Men (Bend Anthology) by Andrea Smith Still (Bend Anthology) by Alessandra Torre Beg (Songs of Submission, #1) by C.D. Reiss
Profile Image for Wendy'sThoughts.
2,632 reviews3,209 followers
November 29, 2018
4 Weighing the Scales of What Someone is Worth Stars
* * * *
From the beginning, there has always been those who felt the need to label, to separate, and create the haves and the have-nots. It didn't matter when in history...these dividers seemed to happen. Maybe it is the power and need of mankind but the question of what is someone worth has never changed. The semantics may have changed and it may not be as out there as it once was in other times and cultures... but it is still there.

Yet with this question of worth, the deeper issue is how can we override what others tell us of our worth. We need to believe in ourselves and our value which is the most important lesson. For if we believe we are worth all things then it will be all we need to feel whole and accomplished...

This is what I was able to take away with the reading of Shay Savage's Worth, her contribution to the anthology, Bend.
By presenting Lucius Faustus as the injured leader of the Roman Army needing healing by the doctor, the opportunity for the slave girl, Aia, to care for him exists. She is the doctor's assistant and belongs to the powerful hospital owner. She helps the doctor while he stitches Lucius holding him down through the pain. She is instructed to stay with him and make sure he stays still. He is important to Rome and must get better.

A bonding takes place and Lucius becomes so aware of Aia, he questions his past behavior. She is smart and knows it is important to keep him still and comfortable. She does many things but never loses her will or comes across as less than. She does understand the ways of her world, though and makes sure her ways of manipulating Lucius to listen to her so as to heal do not insult. As time goes by and Lucius is to return to his men...he cannot imagine being without Aia; she becomes more to him than the label of her worth...

This story had all the flavor of the time it was set in... you could feel the cart he traveled in, hear and feel the rickety road...I was transported to ancient times. I was able to sense the transition in Lucius for Aia, how his desire became more than lust and his caring ruled his heart and mind. The only negative was this was a novella which meant I had a limited time with this couple. This was a welcomed addition to Bend... and I will be looking to see Shay Savage's next project.

For more Reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,082 reviews860 followers
March 4, 2017
Worth is a novella only available within the Anthology from the authors of The Erotic Consortium. The anthology will be available for a limited time. Bend.

Screenshot_3

Lucius has been injured in battle and while bedridden and kept from battle he finds himself drawn to the slave left to care for his wounds. Aia was bartered into a life of slavery as a child, her place is set in stone; her worth was determined long ago. But there is something about her that Lucius can't escape, he knows he must have her, keep her... give her worth.

Screenshot_1

I tend to stay clear of any romance that has the word historic placed before it. So I am even more grateful that Shay Savage chose this to be her contribution to this anthology so that I would not pass it up. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this story, not based on the writing - because she is amazing, but the genre.

Screenshot_2

For those who have not yet read a historic romance or feel like it might not be something you'd enjoy - this is the perfect trial. As a fan of her prior books, I can say without a doubt she can write the male point of view perfectly.
Profile Image for Lucia.
731 reviews799 followers
December 3, 2016
3.5 STARS

When popular warrior commander Tribunus Faustus is wounded, slave girl Aia is appointed to take care of him and help him heal. What kind of "distractions" will Faustus require from beautiful shy slave? And what is a true worth of this exceptional girl?

Standalones erotic novellas are tricky. It takes talented author to make insta-lust believable and realistic. Shay Savage did it.

But what really makes this novella special is time period in which this story takes place in. Ancient Rome, warrior/slave dynamics and steamy encounters made it impossible for me to put this novella down before I finished it.

And I can't forget to mention all those cheeky innuendos Faustus came up with through out this story. They made reading this novella a lot of fun :)

Worth will be released May 5th as a part of Bend Anthology!

*ARC provided by author as an exchange for honest review*

MORE REVIEWS ON MY BLOG Reading Is My Breathing

Profile Image for Al George.
502 reviews309 followers
April 22, 2017
I have no idea what happened - but I read a book totes different than everyone else

don't know

Like this whole rethinking slavery? I didn't get that. There was no great epiphany or social discourse that I was led to believe would happen. At least based on what other's have said.

Perhaps I did the blink and miss it. Perhaps I'm no good at reading between the lines. Oh well. I'm gonna step out on a limb and say Ms. Savage probably writes for someone other than myself.
Profile Image for Elaine.
474 reviews73 followers
May 6, 2014

4.5 Worthy Stars

I just wish there was more...loved it...

photo 10277565_680390465357614_5124669258564747117_n_zps0f8a71ea.jpg

Another man's slave may warm the bed of a Tribunus, but should never be allowed to warm his heart. She has not the Worth.

An injured soldier.
A beautiful woman.
A law broken.
Are his desires worth the cost?

WORTH by Shay Savage will be available on May 5th, but only as part of the Bend anthology.
Profile Image for Paloma *The Romance Queen*.
720 reviews149 followers
May 9, 2014
Seriously...few people can top Shay Savage when it comes to creative stories
Transcendence is easily one of the most creative books I've ever read
she has the ability to create stories that are so different from what is popular in the book community (NA, Etc)

And this story, was short..but didn't lack in quality
nothing was polished over...it is what it is...a short sexy novella
but this one is different than than others, in that it has the added bones of being written about the Roman times..how cool is that!..I dont think I've ever read a book about that era

I really enjoyed it
Profile Image for DKristin.
492 reviews224 followers
May 17, 2014
5/9/14 - Shay Savage - Worth - 2.5 stars

Quote Love: "In this bed, I am always Lucius to you."

What I liked: It had some hot scenes in it for sure.

What could have been better: You can't use words like subligarium and then have the main character refer to his wiener as a "cock". I mean manhood, phallus, those would have been perfectly acceptable old timey words! It made things disjointed to have him use a term like "cock-out"... I need consistency. You either go all the way back in Roman times, or set it there and have the language be all modern... but the in between I couldn't get with. It made the cocky things that the main character said at times just seem so out of place.
Profile Image for Patrycja.
639 reviews3,803 followers
May 11, 2014
4 stars!

I really liked this one and I think it would be awesome full length novel. I would defnitely enjoy reading it!
Profile Image for Paula.
729 reviews77 followers
May 6, 2014
I really enjoyed this short story.
Profile Image for Julia's Book Haven.
678 reviews177 followers
May 14, 2014
Loved it! I just wish it was longer, the story could have gone so many places and really blown me away if it was a full length novel I think. But I still enjoyed it very much, and I'm looking forward to what ever Shay Savage writes next.
Profile Image for Myla.
608 reviews101 followers
May 24, 2015
As part of the Bend Anthology, it's short and HOT. If you want a quick read, this is worth few hours of your time.
Profile Image for Rhella.
79 reviews4 followers
January 3, 2015
3.5 Stars!

I picked this one up because I've been running across too many sh*tty books lately and I just needed a short and sweet novella to get my mind off the recent disappointment. I'm a HUGE Shay Savage fan, so I knew it wouldn't disappoint.

'Worth' truly was not bad at all. I was actually on the fence about giving it four stars to be honest. This book, if Savage had taken the time to make it longer would have rocked my socks! No doubting that, sista! The only reason this ranked 3.5 was because at the end of the day, Faustus could not properly and legally claim her (Aia) as his. How sucky is that? Oh wells. If y'all are in search of something quick, sexy and sweet, give this one a try!

Happy reading:)
Profile Image for AnnMarie .
278 reviews35 followers
July 13, 2014
Another fabulous edition to the Bend Anthology.

I found Worth a sweet erotic tale. A much gentler Savage which always worries me!

And again, much too short, would have loved for more of this story, considering the situation we were left to ponder.

The perfect novella with a full story line and true characterizations.

Humor sprinkled with erotica always makes for a good read.
Profile Image for Jana Aston.
Author 32 books9,344 followers
May 15, 2014
Wow. I'll admit I left this to last in the Bend anthology cause I was a little apprehensive about roman times warrior stuff. I'm an idiot for doubting Shay. Worth was brilliant. And HOT. I don't know how she does it.
Profile Image for CC.
1,038 reviews610 followers
December 14, 2014
3.75 stars. A good, but short read.
Profile Image for A.S.
180 reviews8 followers
April 29, 2021
DNF at 30%

I love this authors’ books but this one was not for me.
Profile Image for S.M. West.
Author 31 books1,050 followers
March 17, 2015
4.5 WORTHY STARS

Shay Savage never ceases to amaze. She transports us back to a different time and place where love, belonging and humanity are worth their weight in gold.

The story is of Lucius Faustus, a feared and revered Roman warrior, who is injured and while healing, he is cared for by Aia, a beautiful slave.

photo worth_zpsf513b01a.jpg

Throughout this novella, the importance of worth is spoken of time and time again and its relevance in so many different contexts. This original story rooted in the historical era of the Roman Empire is about one's intrinsic worth. And is beautifully, sensually and powerfully told through the bond of Lucius and Aia.

photo worthquote_zps9e61cdf1.jpg

My only regret is that I wish there was more to this story. It ended too quickly...
Profile Image for Tiffany Readz.
1,816 reviews45 followers
May 18, 2014
Oh this one needs to be an entire novel! I need to know how Lucius's father would accept his mate and what will happen to them after the war. This is my second Shay Savage book, Transcendence being the first and I loved it just as much.

In Worth, we meet the Tribunous Faustus who is injured in battle. He is cared for by the slave Aia, the young, beautiful Aia that is. During the weeks of healing Faustus feels something for the girl and she the same. In these Roman Times a slave was a slave and nothing more. Faustus wants more with Aia and does what he has to to get her.

Like the other novellas in the Bend Anthology, I wanted so much more of Faustus and Aia, there are many different ways the story can go, although probably with a tragic ending. I am a new fan of Shay Savage and her out of the box storylines. Time to check out her other books!!
Profile Image for Khaoula.
33 reviews2 followers
March 26, 2015
Another hypnotizing tale of love , lust , and passion !

From the ancient times of war, Shay Savage once again amazes us with yet another captivating plotline, and mesmerizing writing skills !

Lucius, a fierce roman warrier, injured, is carried to a hospital, where Aia the Beautiful slave is obliged to nurse him. the rest is history!

This was short, yet full on everything ... !

Worth is a beautiful love story, definitely a must read .

shelfs :
-Stand-Alone-Story
-StandAlone

Playlist :

" forever young " by Alphaville
Profile Image for ✦❋Arianna✦❋.
790 reviews2,493 followers
May 13, 2014
3.5 STARS

First I have to say historical romance is not my favorite genre, but this short novella was a pretty good read. I really liked the time period in which the story takes place in.

Short, but good, " Worth " tells the story of Lucius Faustus, a Roman warrior who is hospitalized after he is injured in a battle. Here he is bewitched by his nurse, a beautiful slave, named Aia. He is attracted to her, but she's only a slave.

He knows is not a good think to care for a slave, even a beautiful one, but maybe she's worth it. So he begins questioning the social structures and her worth.

A great hot read, " Worth " by Shay Savage is a fantastic story who has a lot of potential.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,117 reviews40 followers

POV :: All Tribunus.
Cliffhanger :: Nope.
HEA ::

:::

I knew going in this was quite short, but goodness. This was even shorter than I thought. And there was nothing really here. A few sex scenes, but basically no character development or much of a plot. And the ending, although it was... happy, just didn't feel complete.

Very meh, overall.
Profile Image for Christy Wilson.
514 reviews5 followers
May 15, 2014
Here is what I enjoyed about this story: it made me feel a bit nostalgic for the historical romances I used to devour when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Think Johanna Lindsey.

I had forgotten how enjoyable those could be; I've been more of a contemporary romance with more smut kind of reader for the past several years. So I have to say thank you for writing this story to the author.

It probably doesn't hurt that I kept thinking of Luscious - I mean Lucius - in my mind as Chris Hemsworth.
Profile Image for Mariela Rmz.
208 reviews5 followers
September 6, 2016
I liked it but I end up feeling left hanging (like Lucius would say) as Juno's tit waiting for more (suckling perhaps? :P) I know it is a novella and they're short but I just have very high expectations with every thing that Shay writes, because she is just brilliant, but in this one it all was despite hot and sexy, well it was pretty plain and I'm sure I will forget about it coming next week but hey! the ride was fun so, I hope you like this one too :).

Displaying 1 - 30 of 143 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.