Start by marking “The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed” as Want to Read:

Professionals and enthusiasts alike will love this beautiful book by James Hoffmann. From overviews of the world's most vibrant coffee-growing regions, to step-by-step brewing tutorials, the content is educational, thought-provoking, and substantial. I've already recommended this book to Barista Magazine readers countless times. -- Sarah Allen, Editor Barista Magazine

A bea
Published November 21st 2014 by Firefly Books (first published October 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The World Atlas of Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Atlas of Coffee

Start your review of The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed
Matt
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️.

I drink coffee every day, but didn’t really know how it is grown and made. This is the ultimate “coffee table” book - (pun intended) 😁. It was very informative and enjoyable.

I’m probably not going to go out and buy and start using a french press after reading this or start roasting my own coffee beans at home, but this was an interesting book about how I start my every day. I have a much greater appreciation for coffee after reading this book.

Vi ~ Inkvotary
Bildergebnis für kaffeebohnen:

I don´t consider myself a coffee junkie, ´cause therefore I drink to less of it. But I would describe myself definitely as a coffee lover – one who loves to enjoy a decent glass of Latté Macchiato or a great cup of fine and elegant tasting espresso on a daily basis – or, if I´m not in the mood for either of it, I love to have a cup of cappuccino. And when I got aware of this title on its German publisher’s website for the first time I wasn´t even impressed by the way the cover looked in the firs
Brian Gumm
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this one down. Coffee geeks of all stripes will love this book. Beautifully put together with thick glossy pages and stunning photography to enhance the wealth of information on the world's favorite beverage.
Zuzka Jakubkova
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great guide to all basic aspects of specialty coffee. Loved the pictures as well.
Alexa Williams
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
Really great coffee rundown for new-to-third-wave-coffee assholes like myself.
Zach Schlamowitz
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2020
The World Atlas of Coffee is, pun intended, a bit of a coffee table book. That said, it's a GREAT coffee table book.

It's all in the title. From well-respected coffee guru James Hoffmann, The World Atlas of Coffee gives a precise, objective look at all aspects of the coffee production process around the world—species of coffee plant, growing regions, processing methods, roasting, grinding, and brewing. It's objective in that Hoffmann generally presents different options for achieving the aforem
Giedrius
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book for any coffee lover!

Half of the book is dedicated to the coffee-related history, processes and preparation methods while another half focuses on particular countries growing coffee.

I think that the book stands for its name - "The World Atlas of Coffee". Well illustrated, painstakingly explaining every step from coffee history and tree types to the cup. Reading hardcopy is a pleasure because of its superb quality (even book cover resembles a coffee bean bag material).

Highly
Vitalij
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite informative and manages to pack a lot of information on coffee processing methods, different origins of coffee as well as provides tips on various preparation methods. Although it doesn't try to give one perfect brewing method (which is a good call) as it acknowledges that there are many different ways you can brew a cup of coffee with same equipment. It encourages experimentation and exploration by giving some guidelines on how to do it. Overall I found it quite informative and can see my ...more
ZOZAM
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
At the beginning of this year I took a interest in brewing quality coffee at home. Therefore, I attacked the every piece of information being blog posts, youtube videos and specialty coffee forums. James Hoffman's Youtube channel was one of the first coffee related content I followed and to this day I follow James' videos religiously. But I was a little bit disappointed in this book. It didn't offer any new knowledge wasn't already out there and the way it's written felt like reading a glorified ...more
Dmitry
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is exactly how much i wanted to know about coffee. Something to add substance to that morning brew and to have some fun exploring the bean from different parts of the world. Beautifully put together and informative. For the latter part of the book that covers coffee producing regions, I first watched a Geography Now episode on YouTube to get acquainted with each country before diving into the respective overview of its coffee production and history. Good thing I only started doing this half ...more
Sarah Brousseau
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Book 72/55: The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed by James Hoffman. It was time to enhance my coffee knowledge and what better way than to explore how each part of the world harvests and roasts the magnificient bean and how it affects the end result! Beautiful pictures, wonderfully explained and I learned some new things, great read altogether.
Stephen Simpson
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
At a minimum, this book is thorough and comprehensive regarding a wide range of coffees and growing locations. If you're REALLY into coffee, the detail may be useful, but it could also be a little overwhelming. But the book certainly lives up to its title as a "world atlas", as it includes coffees/growing areas that I didn't even know produced coffee.

Can be a little preachy/judgemental at times regarding the flavor/quality of specific coffees, but that's the price you pay for someone actually t
Thanapat Chayakul
With this edition, Thai coffee has been included as one of the world coffee bean source. While coffee farming in Thailand is continuing popular, the quality development has been closely taking care. I which one day I could be able to try all source of Thai coffee and enjoy local superior beans.

This book is my all-time reference of choice.
Alyssa Poulin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I find the writing style to be relatable, understandable and not at all snobbish. I have learned so much already and I am just now starting to read the section on coffee-producing countries. A fantastic reference!
Alex
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Everything you need to know (or don't) about coffee. Country histories of somewhat interest, the various brewing methods not so much.
Suzanne Cefola
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A great reference book all about coffee. Great pictures and history!
Kristen Cliffy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative and detailed book about everything coffee.
Parvu Andreea
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well documented book for all coffee lovers.
George
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
To be clear, I am a huuuuge fan of James Hoffman. There are fewer people in the industry who deserve such success as he has had. I cannot think of a better ambassador that could have sprung up for the sector. Humble, honest, kind, generous - this is not a man out for riches and glory. And he can think for himself and produce everything he does at a perfectionist level to boot. God bless James Hoffman.

Having said that, I don't really know if this book will do anything for anyone who has worked in
Thang Tran
As a person working in the coffee industry, I find this book informative, quite exhaustive and entertaining. The author is an expert, world barista champion 2007, with extensive experience both in tasting and professional barista training.

The book is divided into three parts:

1. Introduction to coffee (explaining the origin of coffee, the plant and the fruit, the difference between arabica and robusta beans, how coffee is harvested, processed and traded.)

2. From bean to cup (explaining the proc
Steve
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like coffee and are interested in how to make it well and where it comes from this is an outstanding book.

I was given this as a present and at first thought of it as a 'coffee table' book (excuse the pun) to be left lying around and dipped into at odd times. I manged 'dipping' for about two days before I was hooked and started reading from page one.

The reason? This book is well written in an engaging and readable style. Full of interesting background and useful information. It guided me
Roozbeh Daneshvar
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this was a good book: unassuming, informative, full of beautiful pictures and an eye candy (even for non coffee lovers, let alone the coffee lovers). If you like coffee, I strongly recommend this book to:
- get an understanding of how coffee is grown and what factors are important for the taste,
- how coffee cherries (fruits) are processed, how the flesh are separated from the beans (the seeds) and what are the impacts of different methods on the taste,
- how the beans (the seeds) should be
Muhammad Dhito Prihardhanto
Very informative! I've learned a lot of things about coffee from this book. What the characteristics of Arabica, Robusta, and other varieties. How coffee is harvested. How to serve coffee from bean to cup. And as the book title tells, the book also tells one by one countries that produce coffee, how coffee is cultivated in those each of those countries and how its taste profile.

Well, although I like to drink coffee -- in fact it's actually a ritual I go through every morning while working -- I h
Breno Ferreira
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended if you want to learn more about the coffee industry, from farming to brewing. It explains well what you need to know about the coffee tree, fruit, seeds, harvesting, processing, shipping, roasting and brewing, although most of it is a high level overview and doesn't go very deep. However, it is good enough to learn about the many aspects of the coffee industry and the work goes into the product.
The section about the coffee regions I found to be a bit shallow, but it provides s
Gianluca Fiore
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good but not great. If you're new to the coffee world, this book is accessibly written, doesn't contain too much info to overwhelm you but has enough to introduce and make of you an intermediate. And that's it.

I was already an intermediate so there was little that this book gave me. Which doesn't undermine its value. It's just that it's not a book for experts as most that it contains is common knowledge. Nothing wrong with Hoffman, who is a great, truly great "divulgator" of the coffee world, bu
Ainun Ringe
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Consistent with its title, this book provides details on countries producing coffee as well as its history and challenges faced by each country. This book also conveys a relatively comprehensive summary on the production of coffee beans, roasting, brewing, as well as various kinds of coffee. All of that is sufficient as the basic knowledge and making this as a good starting book, yet I personally recommend further readings as a follow up upon finishing this book-depending on your part ...more
Fero Pastorek
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully made book with great design, nice pictures and valuable information. I have a rule to buy and own paper books only if I am going to read them more than once. This atlas definitaly is that case. I am strong fan of 3rd wave coffee and every time I buy a pack of coffee grown in new or less known region I grab the coffee atlas and check the place of origin on the map and read a bit about history and taste profile. This book became a part of my weekend lazy coffee ritual and I'm happy t ...more
Kyle Barrett
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The definitive book for anyone with an unusual interest in coffee, The World Atlas of Coffee was written by former World Barista Champion James Hoffmann, who also happens to be a relatively well-known YouTuber in the coffee space. Whether you're interested in making good coffee or just curious about one of the world's most significant commodities, this book is very informative and was a solidly interesting read
Alex Orr
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're interested in learning a lot about coffee then this is a great one-stop shop. From an overview of growing and harvesting to sections on brewing to individual overviews of all major coffee exporting countries sand their coffee, this book provides a condensed and solid grounding on the world of coffee.
David Fernando
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to now more about coffee: where it comes from, species, how it is grown, brewing techniques, etc.

The first half will teach almost all about coffee (intermediate-advanced level), the second half i would say it is a "consult book" that gives you all the origin characteristics of coffee.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
coffee talk! 1 8 Sep 08, 2016 04:58AM

• The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • Craft Coffee: A Manual: Brewing a Better Cup at Home
  • The Professional Barista's Handbook
  • Coffee Obsession
  • Coffee: A Global History
  • The Coffee Roaster's Companion
  • The Coffee Dictionary: An A-Z of coffee, from growing & roasting to brewing & tasting (Coffee Lovers Gifts, Gifts for Coffee Lovers, Coffee Shop Books)
  • What I Know About Running Coffee Shops
  • How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • The Curious Barista’s Guide to Coffee
  • Coffee: Growing, Processing, Sustainable Production: A Guidebook for Growers, Processors, Traders, and Researchers
  • Everything But Espresso
  • Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
  • I Know Coffee: Harvesting, Blending, Roasting, Brewing, Grinding & Tasting Coffee
  • The new rules of coffee: a modern guide for everyone
  • Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery

News & Interviews

“I must offer a word of caution here: don’t invest in an espresso machine at home unless you want a new hobby.” 0 likes
“Espresso is probably the most intolerant method of preparation of any food or drink in the world.” 0 likes