Start by marking “The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed” as Want to Read:

Professionals and enthusiasts alike will love this beautiful book by James Hoffmann. From overviews of the world's most vibrant coffee-growing regions, to step-by-step brewing tutorials, the content is educational, thought-provoking, and substantial. I've already recommended this book to Barista Magazine readers countless times. -- Sarah Allen, Editor Barista Magazine

A bea
Published November 21st 2014 by Firefly Books (first published October 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The World Atlas of Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Atlas of Coffee

Start your review of The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed
Matt
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️.

I drink coffee every day, but didn’t really know how it is grown and made. This is the ultimate “coffee table” book - (pun intended) 😁. It was very informative and enjoyable.

I’m probably not going to go out and buy and start using a french press after reading this or start roasting my own coffee beans at home, but this was an interesting book about how I start my every day. I have a much greater appreciation for coffee after reading this book.

Brian Gumm
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this one down. Coffee geeks of all stripes will love this book. Beautifully put together with thick glossy pages and stunning photography to enhance the wealth of information on the world's favorite beverage. ...more
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Bildergebnis für kaffeebohnen:

I don´t consider myself a coffee junkie, ´cause therefore I drink to less of it. But I would describe myself definitely as a coffee lover – one who loves to enjoy a decent glass of Latté Macchiato or a great cup of fine and elegant tasting espresso on a daily basis – or, if I´m not in the mood for either of it, I love to have a cup of cappuccino. And when I got aware of this title on its German publisher’s website for the first time I wasn´t even impressed by the way the cover looked in the firs
Budoor
Jul 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great starter for people interested in coffee and want to know more about how to get into brewing and making a good cup of coffee
Andrew
The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed, by James Hoffmann, is a fascinating encyclopedia looking at coffee in all its forms globally. The book explores the plant, its cultivation and production, the development of coffee drinking as a beverage, the composition of the bean, its various species, roasting and harvesting techniques, and how to brew the beverage in various forms to promote high quality taste and flavour. It also explores, country b ...more
Zuzka Jakubkova
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great guide to all basic aspects of specialty coffee. Loved the pictures as well.
Tom Paul
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Undeniably a book for hardcore enthusiasts who crave detail - and in this respect it excels. I should've known better given the title, but this book works much better as a reference text than as something you'd read cover to cover. It is an atlas in the truest sense of the word.

I found the volume of information a little difficult to digest, and would've preferred more advice about brewing and tasting at home, but I'm rating this 4/5 for the sheer quality of research and presentation here. If you
Zach Schlamowitz
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2020
The World Atlas of Coffee is, pun intended, a bit of a coffee table book. That said, it's a GREAT coffee table book.

It's all in the title. From well-respected coffee guru James Hoffmann, The World Atlas of Coffee gives a precise, objective look at all aspects of the coffee production process around the world—species of coffee plant, growing regions, processing methods, roasting, grinding, and brewing. It's objective in that Hoffmann generally presents different options for achieving the aforem
ZOZAM
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
At the beginning of this year I took a interest in brewing quality coffee at home. Therefore, I attacked the every piece of information being blog posts, youtube videos and specialty coffee forums. James Hoffman's Youtube channel was one of the first coffee related content I followed and to this day I follow James' videos religiously. But I was a little bit disappointed in this book. It didn't offer any new knowledge wasn't already out there and the way it's written felt like reading a glorified ...more
Alexa Williams
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
Really great coffee rundown for new-to-third-wave-coffee assholes like myself.
Giedrius
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book for any coffee lover!

Half of the book is dedicated to the coffee-related history, processes and preparation methods while another half focuses on particular countries growing coffee.

I think that the book stands for its name - "The World Atlas of Coffee". Well illustrated, painstakingly explaining every step from coffee history and tree types to the cup. Reading hardcopy is a pleasure because of its superb quality (even book cover resembles a coffee bean bag material).

Highly
Vitalij
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite informative and manages to pack a lot of information on coffee processing methods, different origins of coffee as well as provides tips on various preparation methods. Although it doesn't try to give one perfect brewing method (which is a good call) as it acknowledges that there are many different ways you can brew a cup of coffee with same equipment. It encourages experimentation and exploration by giving some guidelines on how to do it. Overall I found it quite informative and can see my ...more
Niklas Heer
Jul 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains everything you ever wanted to know about coffee. It talks about everything from the plants to processing techniques, how to brew it and where coffee is grown with what characteristics.
At times it feels like an extensive list being recited because it is precisely that, but I think it is valuable.
I think everyone who is into coffee should read this book, maybe especially the audiobook version once. That way, you roughly know about most things, and then you can look them up if yo
Dmitry
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is exactly how much i wanted to know about coffee. Something to add substance to that morning brew and to have some fun exploring the bean from different parts of the world. Beautifully put together and informative. For the latter part of the book that covers coffee producing regions, I first watched a Geography Now episode on YouTube to get acquainted with each country before diving into the respective overview of its coffee production and history. Good thing I only started doing this half ...more
Sarah Brousseau
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Book 72/55: The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed by James Hoffman. It was time to enhance my coffee knowledge and what better way than to explore how each part of the world harvests and roasts the magnificient bean and how it affects the end result! Beautiful pictures, wonderfully explained and I learned some new things, great read altogether.
Stephen Simpson
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
At a minimum, this book is thorough and comprehensive regarding a wide range of coffees and growing locations. If you're REALLY into coffee, the detail may be useful, but it could also be a little overwhelming. But the book certainly lives up to its title as a "world atlas", as it includes coffees/growing areas that I didn't even know produced coffee.

Can be a little preachy/judgemental at times regarding the flavor/quality of specific coffees, but that's the price you pay for someone actually t
Yvonne Reynolds
Jun 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire book! A must read for anyone who truly enjoys a really good cup of coffee.
Shantanu Gharpure
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Must read for anyone who wants to understand the intricacies of growing coffee to brewing it. It certainly deepened my appreciation of the morning ritual.
Thanapat Chayakul
With this edition, Thai coffee has been included as one of the world coffee bean source. While coffee farming in Thailand is continuing popular, the quality development has been closely taking care. I which one day I could be able to try all source of Thai coffee and enjoy local superior beans.

This book is my all-time reference of choice.
Alyssa Poulin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I find the writing style to be relatable, understandable and not at all snobbish. I have learned so much already and I am just now starting to read the section on coffee-producing countries. A fantastic reference!
Alex
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Everything you need to know (or don't) about coffee. Country histories of somewhat interest, the various brewing methods not so much. ...more
Suzanne Cefola
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great reference book all about coffee. Great pictures and history!
Kristen Cliffy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative and detailed book about everything coffee.
Parvu Andreea
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well documented book for all coffee lovers.
George
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
To be clear, I am a huuuuge fan of James Hoffman. There are fewer people in the industry who deserve such success as he has had. I cannot think of a better ambassador that could have sprung up for the sector. Humble, honest, kind, generous - this is not a man out for riches and glory. And he can think for himself and produce everything he does at a perfectionist level to boot. God bless James Hoffman.

Having said that, I don't really know if this book will do anything for anyone who has worked in
Thang Tran
As a person working in the coffee industry, I find this book informative, quite exhaustive and entertaining. The author is an expert, world barista champion 2007, with extensive experience both in tasting and professional barista training.

The book is divided into three parts:

1. Introduction to coffee (explaining the origin of coffee, the plant and the fruit, the difference between arabica and robusta beans, how coffee is harvested, processed and traded.)

2. From bean to cup (explaining the proc
Angela
Why I'm interested in this book at the first place
Fourth book chosen for What You Read: Instagram edition.

Fellow Instagram buddy whom reading this book is a coffeeholic; and most likely a big fan of YouTuber, James Hoffman (the author of this book).

What do I think of this book... now that I've done reading it
This is an equivalent to official textbook if you're studying coffee in coffee school.

Hoffman covers more on the economic aspect - characteristics (type of coffee beans), manufacturing proce
Steve
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like coffee and are interested in how to make it well and where it comes from this is an outstanding book.

I was given this as a present and at first thought of it as a 'coffee table' book (excuse the pun) to be left lying around and dipped into at odd times. I manged 'dipping' for about two days before I was hooked and started reading from page one.

The reason? This book is well written in an engaging and readable style. Full of interesting background and useful information. It guided me
Roozbeh Daneshvar
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this was a good book: unassuming, informative, full of beautiful pictures and an eye candy (even for non coffee lovers, let alone the coffee lovers). If you like coffee, I strongly recommend this book to:
- get an understanding of how coffee is grown and what factors are important for the taste,
- how coffee cherries (fruits) are processed, how the flesh are separated from the beans (the seeds) and what are the impacts of different methods on the taste,
- how the beans (the seeds) should be
Muhammad Dhito Prihardhanto
Very informative! I've learned a lot of things about coffee from this book. What the characteristics of Arabica, Robusta, and other varieties. How coffee is harvested. How to serve coffee from bean to cup. And as the book title tells, the book also tells one by one countries that produce coffee, how coffee is cultivated in those each of those countries and how its taste profile.

Well, although I like to drink coffee -- in fact it's actually a ritual I go through every morning while working -- I h
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
coffee talk! 1 9 Sep 08, 2016 04:58AM

• The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
  • Coffee: A Global History
  • How to Make Coffee: The Science Behind the Bean
  • Craft Coffee: A Manual: Brewing a Better Cup at Home
  • What I Know About Running Coffee Shops
  • The Professional Barista's Handbook
  • The Coffee Dictionary: An A-Z of Coffee, from Growing & Roasting to Brewing & Tasting
  • Coffee Obsession
  • The Coffee Roaster's Companion
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • Everything But Espresso
  • The Coffee Roaster's Handbook: A How-To Guide for Home and Professional Roasters
  • Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
  • The Best of Jimseven 2004-2015
  • Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung
  • The Curious Barista's Guide to Coffee
James Alexander Hoffmann is an English businessman, author, barista, online influencer and coffee consultant.