Start by marking “Linden Manor” as Want to Read:
Linden Manor

Linden Manor

"Have you ever been so scared your soul left your body? "

All her life, Lesley Carpenter has been haunted by a gruesome nursery rhyme The Scottish Bride sung to her by her great grandmother. To find out more about its origins, Lesley visits the mysterious Isobel Warrender, the current hereditary owner of Linden Manor, a grand house with centuries of murky history surroundin
Published May 6th 2014 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Linden Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linden Manor

Start your review of Linden Manor
Ginger
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars!

Linden Manor went in a direction that I wasn't prepared for. It surprised me and I enjoyed this gothic, spooky tale. This is a short novella and it's still able to creep you out on some of the ghostly encounters that go down.

Why did I not rate it higher? I guess I was wanting more of a buildup from the legend of the Scottish Bride and Linden Manor. I think if the book had been a bit longer with more of a buildup of the events at the end, it would have creeped me o
Kimberly
LINDEN MANOR, by Catherine Cavendish, is a novella--yet it manages to pack a serious punch within that length! Leslie Carpenter is doing a college thesis on the origins of a certain "superstition" that originated locally--in her grandmother's neighborhood--but one that no other area seemed to have any knowledge of.

"Run and hide, far and wide,
Run and hide from the Scottish Bride . . . "

Although her own mother had a falling out with her grandmother many years before--and never reconciled befor
Marie
It has been a long time since I read a gothic type story and this book by author, Catherine Cavendish, did not disappoint!

This story had more of a twist to it as there was a ghost rampant throughout the book. Has some spooky moments along with a touch of mystery spice to liven up the book and it took me back into time to those days when I use to read the gothic stories.

The story revolves around a woman who wants to discover more details of the Scottish Bride for a research paper. What she disc
Latasha
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh Ms Cavendish!! BRAVO!! this is the best one yet by this amazing lady. Gothic? Yes!! it captures all of that goodness. Superb storytelling, great setting. The characters are just fine. I listened to the audio book and the narrator, Nancy Peterson, is fan-freaking-tastic. If your a fan of the gothic style, you should listen to this.
Bill
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a complimentary copy of this audio from the narrator and am voluntarily leaving this honest review.

This was a strange one for me. It had a real old school gothic feel to it, but was set modern time. Maybe it was the narrator accent coupled with the writing style. Or maybe, it was just me. I liked it regardless, and because of the classic feel to it and the more modern parts it almost felt like it was two separate stories. Shouldn’t have worked, but it did.

A nicely done, creepy, haun
Kelly
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another nicely creepy tale by Catherine Cavendish. She gives good ghosts, man. And good spook. Just the whole horror thing. It works for me.

My take away from this book is that if your mom tells you doing something is a bad idea, listen to her. Especially when it comes to spooky old manor houses and creepy nursery rhymes. LISTEN TO HER. Moms are smart. They know when BAD THINGS are going to happen.

So. Lesley. She's curious about a piece of her past, but ends up getting a whole lot more than a pap
AudioBookReviewer
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
My original Linden Manor audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

This was a short and sweet audio book, at 3 hours long. It's easy to listen to in short commute-length installments too.

Nancy Peterson has a warm and compelling voice which perfectly suits Lesley Carpenter, the narrating character of this story. She’s torn from her ordinary and life when she feels compelled to research the origins of an old folk rhyme from her childhood, she visits Linden Manor during he
Nancy
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
October is the month I try to dedicate myself to creepy, scary, supernatural tales. Grateful to Goodread's members for leading me to this enjoyable, creepy, gothic-feeling, novella. Perfect choice to get in the spirit of October. As others wrote, many twists and turns within the story as it leads you back to where you suspected you'd end up; fun-ride getting there though. Recommend to others that like a good supernatural tale around Halloween.
Theresa Braun
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cavendish is clearly a master storyteller, as I was so engrossed in this short read and was dumbfounded when it was all over. But in a good way. Kind of like when you realize you just inhaled a whole chocolate bar. Part of the reason is that we get so much characterization and setting in just a few words. The author makes every detail count. And, she makes us care about Lesley Carpenter in the process, which is a definite plus.

One of the aspects that works so well here is that we are given mult
Susan Roebuck
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I've read at least 90% of Ms Cavendish's work - and aim to read all her books within a short time. In Linden Manor her delightful, somewhat Daphne du Maurier style of writing is splendidly clear, taking the reader right inside the story. As usual, she builds the tension from simple every-day events: a child's nursery rhyme that the protagonist, Lesley Carpenter, has known since a child holds the clue to her possible grim future and a delightful manor house, the kind that many dream of li ...more
Glenn Rolfe
With Linden Manor, Catherine Cavendish leads us through a wonderfully told Gothic tale with enough skin-crawling, nerve-tingling moments to keep us diving in for more. The mystery surrounding the Scottish Bride, the manor itself, as well as the owner and her servant, unravel perfectly.
The Gothic-style is a bit of a side road for me from my usual full-throttle horror, but anything that can evoke particles of the haunted perfections made famous by Jackson and Matheson is A-okay by me.

I'm ready to
 Reading Reindeer
As I've been devouring the Horror genre for some 5.5 decades, I'm not that easily frightened--but it is possible. Last evening, I started reading Catherine Cavendish' s excellent newest offering (her first with Samhain Publishing) and found myself too scared to continue reading all alone at nighttime. (My two canine companions offered no opinion.) There are some TRULY terrifying features, and characters, in this story. So I finished it this morning, in daylight--and I'm STILL scared!
Erin Al-Mehairi
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Cavendish brings ghostly ancient legends of the land back with her gothic tale. It's like reading classic lit from the 1800s with modern surroundings. Like fellow UK author Frazer Lee, she utilizes legend of old, yet she couples it with Daphne Du Maurier. Amazing work!! Sign me up to read every story Cavendish writes. I whipped through this one in a couple hours!
Somer Canon
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story went to a place I very much wasn't expecting! I love Catherine's writing style and the dark atmosphere makes this a terrific read.
Erth
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Stephanie
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supernatural fun

Unknown relatives, an ancient curse and a haunted land make for an entertaining read. A gothic with a feminist twist!
M
Audiobook version. Gothic haunted house classic.
Dana Wright
Lesley Carpenter pursues her thesis of the horrifying nursery rhyme The Scottish Bride and soon finds out her mother's stilted warning to stay away from Linden Manor may actually have some merit. Not a believer in the supernatural, Lesley finds herself beset by strange occurrences and even stranger characters in the old estate. What began as a scholarly endeavor will soon change to the terror of walking right into a well laid trap.

This tale was a page turner of the highest order. Gothic and dark
Russell James
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cat Cavendish serves up a spectacular ghost story with all the trimmings due its UK setting. A manor house hundreds of years old, a creepy, cryptic nursery rhyme, an overgrown mausoleum. You’ll shudder as you follow Lesley Carpenter in her quest to unearth the secrets of Linden Manor. Sharply written and favoring suspense over gore, this novella captivates from the first chapter with tight dialogue and splendid descriptions. The ending is perfect. You’ll wish the story was longer, but lucky for ...more
Anthony Crowley
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful literary journey of Traditional Gothic literature. I recommend the works of Catherine Cavendish. AC
Shawn Martin-Spaulding
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love history and pretty much anything Scottish.. you will love this book!
Noelle Clark
Jan 29, 2019

• Things We Fear
  • The Killer and the Slain: A Strange Story
  • The Ballad of Black Tom
  • He Who Hesitates (87th Precinct, #19)
  • Nightmare Child
  • Loss
  • You Think You Know Me: The True Story of Herb Baumeister and the Horror at Fox Hollow Farm (True Crime)
  • The Magic Wagon
  • The Last Deep Breath
  • ALTAR
  • Without Mercy: Obsession And Murder Under The Influence
  • Seven Cleopatra Hill
Hello, my name's Catherine Cavendish and I write horror fiction - frequently with ghostly, supernatural, Gothic and haunted house themes.

My latest novel - THE GARDEN OF BEWITCHMENT - is out now from Flame Tree Press. Historical haunted Gothic horror set in the wilds of the Yorkshire moors - pure Bronte country - with a Bronte theme.

My novella - THE DARKEST VEIL - is published from Crossroad Press.

News & Interviews