Start by marking “God With Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas” as Want to Read:
God With Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas

God With Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas

Christmas is the season most difficult to grasp and understand in all its spiritual richness. The sentimentality and commercialism that dominate the season tend to obscure the profound mystery at its heart: the Incarnation. God With Us provides the perfect way to slow down and reconnect with the litugical and sacramental traditions that illuminate the meaning of the Incarn ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Paraclete Press

To ask other readers questions about God With Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God With Us

Start your review of God With Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Christmas
Cara Meredith
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just lovely. The pictures, the emphasis on the liturgical calendar, the musings of several favorite authors.
Jenn
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Some helpful devotions for Advent but a bit too liturgical for me; beautiful artwork enhances the book
Paul
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Advent. Christmas. Epiphany. Feasts of the Holy Family and the Holy Innocents. God With Us: Incarnation. Nativity. Saints Nicholas and Stephen.

An ecumenical council of reflection and prayer represented by a trinity of church traditions and literary backgrounds, disciplines, and practices. Unity in diversity.

'Twas our third time/year reading these meaningful reminders of the reason for the season. It's becoming our family tradition!
Lzarr
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for many years, but haven't picked it up during advent for at least a few. I'm so glad I took a break and then went back. The reflections in this advent reader are very helpful for preparing for Christmas, and I like having scripture readings assigned for each day. Possibly the best feature of this book, however, is the art. The beautiful full-color reproductions drew me in once again and were often more central to my daily reading experience than the words themselves.
Joanne
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this devotional for helping keep me focused during Advent. Its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness; that it switches authors every week. When I like the author, I want that week to go on. When I don't like the author; I find the whole week tedious.

I liked the reminder of and history behind saints' days and feast days, considering I missed out on all that during religious upbringing.
Jamie Smet
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'd been wondering/praying about how to foster more thoughtfulness during Advent and an email from the Image Journal popped up in my inbox promoting this new book. It combines daily Scripture readings and reflections based on the church seasons of advent and epiphany with artwork chosen to complement the themes of the writing. I will definitely return to this next year. It did help to keep me focused on "the reason for the season."
Faith
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a nice Advent reader, with readings for each day and special readings for special days and feasts. It has assigned Scripture readings for each day and then a short reading an author wrote. I liked some of the writers better than others, but overall it was a good book to read over the Christmas season and structure my time preparing to celebrate. The inclusion of art is a nice addition.
Diane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful series of meditations and scripture readings for the Advent season, through Christmas and Epiphany. Completed by lovely illustrations. The book really brings home the Incarnational nature of Christmas in numerous ways.
Melody Harrison Hanson
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An exceptionally accessible book. Helps the layperson to understand some of the background behind Advent. It also walks one through the entire season. Well written and beautifully shows important artist's reflections with their work.
Dorothy Meyer
This book was given to each of my four sisters by my eldest sister. Every year at advent we read this book together and share by email our favorite spots. It has become a tradition. I love the artwork chosen for each writing. Luci shaw and the picture "A Hopeless Dawn" are my favorites.
Paul Dubuc
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional
This is a wonderful, and beautiful spiritual guide to the Advent season and Christmas feasts. It's filled with wise and wonderful writing and beautiful art. I enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.
Karen Hsu
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's been our Christmas tradition to read through God With Us for the last 3 years. It's been a wonderful reminder of the meaning of what Christ's birth really means to us as Christians, especially in our over-commercialized, materialistic world.
Jessica Cramer
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, adventmas
This book is worthy of a re-read every Advent. The editors also have a Lenten version that I would love to have someday.
Kari
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Particularly liked the Scott Cairns week.
Jessica
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a lovely Advent companion. Suggests short daily bible readings along with a 2 page reflection.
Doug
Dec 25, 2010 added it
wonderful book filled with profound meditations and gorgeous illustrations!
Krista
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So far a GREAT advent book. It incorporates history, prayer, scriptural readings and meditations for the coming of Emmanuel.
Sue Whitt
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
reflections of scripture readings by several authors for the Christmas season--Advent through Epiphany
Carol
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Amy
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Inspiring reflections, beautiful artwork, applicable encouragement, and practical recognition of meaning of Christmas are all made evident in this book.
Jacob Davis
A beautiful book, in its artwork, language, and message. This will be the Advent/Christmas devotional I revisit year after year.
Angela Carlson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous book, a lovely companion to Advent.
Grace
Dec 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Trying to rediscover what Christmas is supposed to be all about...
Darlene
Nov 15, 2014
Cappy Atkinson
Apr 20, 2015
Rebecca L
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2018

• Three Wise Cats: A Christmas Story
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
Gregory Wolfe, the founder of Image—one of America’s leading quarterly journals—recently served as Senior Fellow at the Institute for Catholic Thought and Culture at Seattle University. He edits a literary imprint, Slant Books, through Wipf & Stock Publishers. He served as the founding director of the Seattle Pacific University MFA in Creative Writing program. Wolfe’s books include Beauty Will Sav ...more

News & Interviews