Start by marking “Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices” as Want to Read:
Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices

Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices

A powerful and visually stunning anthology from some of the most groundbreaking Native artists working in North America today. Truly universal in its themes, Dreaming In Indian will shatter commonly held stereotypes and challenge readers to rethink their own place in the world. Divided into four sections, ‘Roots,’ ‘Battles,’ ‘Medicines,’ and ‘Dreamcatchers,’ this book ...more
Published July 24th 2014 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming in Indian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming in Indian

Start your review of Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices
Sue
This is a book that is both easy and difficult to review; easy because it is simply excellent, difficult because it is so many things in one wonderful source. While it is intended for both Native and non-Native youth of high school age as a way of both becoming more aware of the truths of Indigenous ways of life of the past and present, the participants are both older and younger than that age group. It is also a book that I would recommend to adult readers who want a more realistic view of ...more
Debbie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First thought on looking through this: WOW. I highly recommend it. You could spend hours just looking at the art and photography, and then a few more hours thinking about it, what it means..

A longer review is at my site:

It is the epitome of "what is possible" from creative minds.
Barbara
Filled with stunningly beautiful illustrations and powerful prose from Native American artists and writers, this volume dispels many stereotypes about Native cultures. Although most of the entries are from Canadian Natives, there are some from the United States, including Washington. Divided into four sections (Roots, Battles, Medicines, and Dreamcatchers), there isn't a weak contribution among the pieces that have been included here. There are photos about leaving home, an interview with a ...more
Paul  Hankins
We are adopting this title for reading and consideration and connecting in Room 407 with our English 11 students this year. We've already begun pairing contributions within the book to web resources featuring the poets, artists, and writers found within the anthology.
Alex  Baugh
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randomly-reading
Dreaming in Indian is a unique anthology of work by young Native Americans from Canada and the United States intended to "give people a fresh perspective on what it means to be Native in North America." Native youths were invited to submit their work for a chance to tell the world their stories their way. The results, the editors write, was a brilliant collection of artwork in various media by some incredibly talented people.

The job of putting this book together must have been daunting, given
Elizabeth
Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Beth Leatherdale edited Urban Tribes and #NotYourPrincess, and I have been rather enamored of both. Now I have gone back to the first book the pair did together, and finally read Dreaming in Indian. Not only did it meet my high expectations, it surpassed them.

Every essay, poem, photograph, art piece was all beautiful in its own way. There was an incredibly wide array of voices represented here that it was hard to resist its charms. I recognised names from Urban Tribes
Cortney
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars

“There is no one Indigenous perspective...no one indigenous story. We are tremendously diverse peoples with tremendously diverse life experiences. We are not frozen in the past, nor are we automatically just like everybody else. That is why it is so important for everyone to share their own story. In revealing their personal truths, they help us all gain a better appreciation for the messy, awesome, fun reality of the world we live in.” ~ Wab Kinew (Anishinaabe)

A thoughtful collection
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Not sure how to rate what was (mostly) non fiction essays on the lives of Indigenous people in Canada. All the creators were from different tribes and such, which was nice to see the diversity. I have to think more about my rating. I do think it's a worthwhile read.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, nonfiction
Fascinating! This was another random find at the library, and a truly great read. I loved the mixed media, and different art styles.
Annette
DREAMING IN INDIAN: CONTEMPORARY NATIVE AMERICAN VOICES edited by Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Beth Leatherdale is an outstanding anthology sure to engage youth in discussions about 21st century Native American culture. The beautifully illustrated text includes the perspectives of over 50 contemporary artists. The predominately young adult authors challenge traditional stereotypes and encourage youth to think about what it means to be an Native American in today’s society.[return][return]The ...more
Michelle Stimpson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a magazine format, this anthology includes interviews, articles, poetry, art, and photos of Native Americans and First Nations people. It brings to life the issues that native teens are facing and showcases the amazing work they are doing as artists, athletes, and activists. I learned about how the history of residential schools continues to affect this generation and how the "Idle No More" movement is taking on important issues. My favorite interviews included those with artist Jeffrey ...more
Renata
I liked this a lot and I'd love to see this become a series. It reminds me of like Rookie Yearbook One... and both remind me of zines. I like the DIY feel of it, but also I kind of wish that this book didn't have Comic Sans in it?? Is that too snobby? Fine.

Font choices aside, this is a cool anthology representing all kinds of American Indian/First Nation voices. Like with any anthology, some of the pieces resonated more with me than others.

I think this is really by Native Americans and for
Danielle

Dreaming in Indian is a fantastic collection of poetry, memoirs, interviews, art and photography. Through its visually stunning pages it showcases the wide range of contemporary Native experiences and blasts mainstream stereotypes. The anthology contains contributions from over 50 artists in North America (both established and emerging). Each piece is unique, showing that there is no one Native experience to life and that traditions and cultures within the Native community are also diverse.
Polly
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, I just wish more people were likely to read it! If you're on Netgalley, it is available, and I highly recommend you request it and give it a look if nothing else, because it's a much-needed look at the awesomeness of Native American young people! I will be buying a personal copy just because I want to support books like this about all kinds of young people, and especially about Native Americans.
Danni Green
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful mixed-media anthology of writing, art, and interviews by Native American people in Canada and the USA. Each voice is unique and powerful, and the presentation of each piece lovingly honors its vitality. I highly recommend this one.
John Driscoll
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't review this in the way of a traditional book because it's very much not that. Instead, this is a snapshot into contemporary Native American life (with a focus on northwest and Canadian peoples). This reads more like a magazine than a book, which makes sense given the editors' backgrounds. It presents prose, poetry, photos, artwork, and other various contributions to show who these people are and what life is like for them these days.

As a white man who grew up in the midwestern US, I
Richard
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Given my interest in Indigenous related history and culture my curiosity was piqued when I learned that one of my Goodreads friends had just put this book on her list of those to read. I found Dreaming was readily available as a digital book through my local public library. So, I borrowed and read it immediately because I happened to be in between books.

Every anthology I have read has always been of mixed quality. Ie, some pieces good to great but others mediocre, if not worse. With Dreaming
Ben Truong
Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices is an anthology of art, essays, photographs, poetry, short stories, and songs and North American Indigenous culture. It was collected and edited by Lisa Charleyboy and Mary Leatherdale. The theme of this anthology is to challenge and shatter readers of their preconceptions of the North American Indigenous Nation.

Divided into four sections: "Roots", "Battles", "Medicines", and "Dreamcatchers", this anthology collects many works from
Riley
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I chose this book to be my window into my own culture. I identify as a "white-passing" Native American who is extremely out of touch with his cultural background. I chose this book from the book club list with the hope of getting a glimpse into what a modern voice of the Native American population is. I wasn't disappointed.

Dreaming in Indian gives readers the glimpse I was hoping for with Native American poetry, art, and narratives. With each of these playing an equal role in the book's
Michelle
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dreaming in Indian is an attractive book with a vibrant layout and pleasing relationship between text and pictures. It's skinny, which is exactly what a middle school student sometimes looks for when they are instructed to read, but really don't want to. This is a collection of pieces from the perspectives of Native Americans and First Nations Canadians, many of whom are young and optimistic. It's unlikely that a student will read this cover to cover (although they certainly could), but they ...more
The E
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not normally a format I read, but I saw it on the shelf at the library and found myself pulling it down.

This is a collection of poems, bios, photos, and descriptions, written by and about Natives in America. It's almost a zine in format.

Some of the poems are quite moving, and while too brief to be fully absorbing, the struggles described and overcome are meaningful and moving.

Like a lot of other white people, I find that I hear mostly about white, mostly male, media. And that's the real
Cora
This book is a collection of art from different artists indigenous to North America. It has wide variety of native nations represented from all over the continent. It also has a wide variety of art represented from dancers and singers to poets and chefs. It was a great way to familiarize myself with contemporary native culture. The book is geared towards a middle grade or young adult audience, but it did not seem "dumbed" down for that age group. It does not shy away from the hard parts such as ...more
Amy Layton
Charleyboy and Leatherdale have yet again done a fantastic job of compiling and editing the various voices of various Native Americans through North America. Their other collection,#notyourprincess is similar in vein, and if you liked that, then you'll certainly enjoy this! It was incredible to see all of the ways that Native Americans express their creativity and how, and reading this truly enlightened me to many conversations that are currently happening in native communities. Overall, this ...more
Marissa Donchess
This book amazed me more than others would. It made me open up my eyes and showed me how well some of us have it. The struggles that others face in this world is unreal and I believe that we are all humans and we should be treated equally no matter what our ethnicity is or our skin color. This book can show a lot to ones that do not understand much about the differences among the world. The photgraphs that the author had conveyed really made me look into a more detailed perspective on how some ...more
Mikaela Robbins
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was really cool. It provided art, poetry, and pictures. The book discusses what it is like to be a Native American in today's times and represents multiple perspectives ranging from different age groups to different tribes. It really sends a powerful message. This book is meant for middle school readers.
Lori
This book is a beautiful collection of Native American voices and art. The artists and writers tend to be from Canada; however, the issues they face are similar to issues faced by Indigenous People in the United States. The short stories, poems, and photographs are easy to access to develop a better understanding of their experiences.
Deborah D.
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a powerful gathering of art. Visual, written word, photos of sculpture, pictorial art were each powerful.
Sorrow, depression, joy, pride, self discovery, family rediscovered....and more.

Honoring the creators of these works by sharing their names and tribal connection(s) is such appreciated.
Kathy
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting and eclectic compilation of a variety of genres and medias, this was a reflection on what it means to be Native American in today's society as experienced by various Native American artists.
Ari Reavis
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
This was a beautiful and heartbreaking collection of essays, poetry, interviews, and artwork. Seeing how other people lived, their cultures and influences, their hopes for the future kept me turning the pages. All of it was just stunning.
Kaycee Monnens
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chock-full of Native expression in all forms, this book sheds light on what life is like for modern Native Americans. They intertwine their history with their present, their struggles with their triumphs, and do so beautifully. Incredible compilation of real, modern voices.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel
  • Under My Hijab
  • (Don't) Call Me Crazy
  • Give Me Some Truth
  • Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case (Books about Love for Kids, Civil Rights History Book)
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Slay
  • Where Are You From?
  • Surviving the City (The Debwe Series)
  • The Undefeated
  • Finding Langston
  • Meal
  • A Different Pond
  • I Am Alfonso Jones
  • The Only Road (The Only Road #1)
  • Pumpkinflowers: A Soldier's Story of a Forgotten War