Start by marking “Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)

Dead Man's Song

(Pine Deep #2)

EVIL ENDURES

Once an idyllic Pennsylvania village, Pine Deep awoke one morning to find itself bathed in a massive bloodletting. Twice in thirty years the townsfolk have endured the savage hungers of a murderous madman...but if the residents think the death of serial killer Karl Ruger put an end to the carnage, they're dead wrong.

THE NIGHTMARE NEVER ENDS

Bodies mutilated beyo
Mass Market Paperback, 501 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Song

Dirk Grobbelaar

In the silent wormy darkness, he waits…

There is one very important factor to remember when reviewing a book like this: namely, it has corn fields.

The dark shape hunched over [the corpse] raised its head and looked at him without expression for a long moment, and then the bloody mouth opened in a great smile full of immense darkness and hunger, lips parting to reveal hideous teeth that were grimed with pink-white tatters of flesh.

Indeedy. It’s like that…

…but it also isn’t. See, Dead Man’s Song i
Bradley
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-shelf, horror
Maybe there's a groove we readers need to fall into with certain authors and I certainly needed to find it here, or at least for the first novel, but fortunately, I had no problems with this one.

Maybe it's just the fact that the established MC's that I've grown to love are still alive and kicking and raising hell when the time is right. That's pretty satisfying in any book, but this does a really fine job of characterization. The evil men aren't quite so cardboard here. My sympathies are only st
Trish
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit unsure about the first one and almost left it at the semi-happy-ending at the end of it but now I'm glad I kept on reading because by now I'm really sold on this trilogy. *lol*

This second book picks up right after the events of book 1. Val and Crow, beaten and haunted, get out of the hospital. But they are not the only ones shaken; there is a lot of personal stuff going on. Not much happens apart from that. There are still cops and agents, trying to find out what is what but that is
Gianfranco Mancini

"It was October when it happened. It should always
be October when these things happen. In October you
expect things to die."

This long trilogy with its load of iconic monsters of horror genre is just well written and the perfect Halloween season reading, but again, like after reading first book last year, it not entertained me enough to start as soon as possible another 400+ pages of it.
Loving the storyline, characters and some parts like the mayor's sister ghost and Ubel Griswold's m
Jason Parent
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book, but I had to struggle to get through the first 80% of this one. It was bogged down with repetition, oftentimes of useless facts (e.g., Val's scars and motorcycle accidents, even certain lines repeated word for word). There were too many odes to Val and Crow's undying love, and a sixteen minute sex scene that was dreadfully boring. It is loaded with dream sequences and repetitious dream sequences. But the worst part, was all the recapping of the first book. I do n ...more
David
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
There is a great book here somewhere, but it’s buried beneath 400 pages of filler.
Bill
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I was very excited about this series when I had finished Ghost Road Blues.

Now, after finishing Dead Man's Song, I couldn't care less.

I was very impressed with Maberry's work in the first novel. A perfect mix of descriptive prose and dialogue which made it a very fun read. But there were a few issues I had with Dead Man's Song that bothered me so much that it completely turned me off the series.

Now, before you read any further, be warned that some of what I am going to write will spoil a bit from
Quentin Wallace
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second book in my favorite horror trilogy of all time. I really didn't have a favorite book of the three, I liked them all equally and honestly in my mind it was just one really long story. The Pine Deep Trilogy just gets my highest possible recommendation. I personally put these books right on the same level as Stephen King's novels, and considering King is my all time favorite writer that's high praise indeed.

I always do spoiler free reviews so I never give away details, but if you like yo
Jason
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011, e-books
5 stars

This book, from 25% in takes off like a runaway freight train. Where the first novel in the series Ghost Road Blues was a slowly building thriller with tinges of the supernatural in it. This one goes dark and deep very quickly, and we are treated to a great deal of monsters, ghosts, and the undead.

Being a second of three in a trilogy, we get the normal added layers to our main characters through further backstories. Our main hero Malcolm Crow is the shining star in this one and much of t
Rob
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Authors are like musicians in one important way. Some bands emerge on the scene fully formed, delivering a debut that appears to encapsulate everything great they would eventually accomplish. Think Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division or Oasis' Definitely Maybe or Entertainment! by Gang of Four. These albums land with a seismic impact that heralds the arrival of An Important Voice,™ one that the rest of us mortals should do well to notice.

Other bands? Their first albums resemble the toddler taking
Alondra
4.5 Stars

This book gets 4.5 stars for being so damned good. Wow.

I keep wondering, what is it about this little town that brings the dastardly villains out? The makes monsters of its citizens? Could it be that it is basically an island, holding on for dear life through it's bridges and roads? Is it the deep, dark, dank woods that holds secrets better left unsaid?? Or, because the town holds onto and then glorifies its' most haunted history? Maybe, just maybe all of these things.

Our main charact
Kasia
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The second installment of the story woven by Maberry was delicious to say the least. I know some readers out there are grumpy over the 500 page length of this middle child of a tale but I absolutely loved every word and it took me a long time to read, yes I will admit that life kept me busy and the book was long but man, by page 400 I could barely sit in my reading chair, the story was getting good! I strongly recommend reading part one of this trilogy, Ghost Road Blues; for hose who love to rea ...more
Brian
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good, intense follow-up to the amazing Ghost Road Blues , Dead Man's Song creates a creepy atmosphere and delivers intense thrills.

There were two reasons I didn't give this book five stars:

• Pinnacle/Kensington Publishing didn't use a skilled copy editor for this book. It was riddled with typos, sentence fragments, run-on sentences, extra words that jumbled up entire sentences, and comma usage so bad that some passages were tough to follow.

• A couple of the main threads of the story dragged
Cameron
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Mayberry's debut novel Ghost Road Blues is one of the best straight-up horror novels of the 2000's. Mayberry did not pussyfoot around with angsty, vampiric pedophiles, nor did he include one single glittery werewolf (though these novels are markedly vampire and werewolf fare - more on that in a second). Instead, his monstrous antagonists had a raw nakedness to their villainy. It was a grand first novel, full of nods to modern horror classics, while never feeling like a blatant rip-off o ...more
Olivia
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Michael
Apr 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was the worst follow up to a good book I've ever read. I was bored to tears and it ended up convincing me not to finish the trilogy that I had already purchased. I will give these books to someone I secretly hate and tell them I love them. If you like nails on a chalkboard or watching cute little animals dying slowly then by all means please check this wonderful series out.
Courtney
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Ugh DNF. The first book was a real slog for me, but I decided to give this one a shot, as I'd read that the first book was mostly a setup for the second. I'm halfway through this book and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. The author is constantly recapping the first book, and even events earlier in this book. I don't care about any of the characters, Val and Crow's relationship is too sappy and unbelievable, and this story has not progressed AT ALL since the ending of the first book.
T.L. Barrett
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t discovered Jonathan Maberry, you are in for a treat! He has quickly become my second favorite horror writer next to the King. The man is a horror writing genius, and I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoy his work. He creates real visceral scenes of horror which are all the more poignant for his wonderful character development and investment (even in the folks who are not long for this world). If you haven’t read Ghost Road Blues, make sure you read that first, as Dead Man’s Son ...more
Leah
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Dead Man's Song is the second novel in the Pine Deep Trilogy, and it continues this awesome story wonderfully. The bad guys' plans flesh out a bit more and the entire story is coming together really, really, really well. Of course, with seeing what the good guys have to face, I just felt so sorry for Crow, Val, and Iron Mike Sweeney. I hope they get some bones thrown their way in Bad Moon Rising, but I don't think that will be the case.

I do like the bits of humanity and regularity we see in
Devonta
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
As Halloween begins to draw near, Griswold is getting stronger and making more preparations for the Red Wave. Boyd has lead the police to believe he's skipped town. The detectives have pulled their people out of Pine Deep to go after Boyd leaving the dwindling Pine Deep police department to take care of the town—only Boyd didn't leave. He's still in town and is ready to reek more havoc.

While Maberry shows his impressive skills at developing character and setting, there are a few things that may
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4 AND 1/2 STARS

Dead Man's Song, the second installment in the Pine Deep Trilogy starts off just where the first book, Ghost Road Blues, ended. Author Jonathan Mayberry beautifully sums up the first book in a few pages, allowing new readers to jump right on board in this exciting and very evil tale. The quality of writing is far above most authors in the genre and the story really feels like a horror classic. I enjoyed this book even more than the first, which won a Bram Stoker award for best fi
Reading is my Escape
It was October when it happened. It should always be October when these things happen. In October you expect things to die.
- First paragraph

The terror continues in Pine Deep and I am scared, nervous and excited to see how this ends. I love the characters and can't wait to see others get what they deserve. This series is written by Jonathan Maberry who I love. I first enjoyed his writing in the Rot & Ruin series. I was excited to find that he has written other books and I love them just as mu
Nate
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually finished this Thursday night and I've been reading Bad Moon Rising through the weekend and the big day today. I'm fully bought in to the story now, and the last 20% of this book was a pretty good payoff as far as the spook factor goes. It's not perfect, but this trilogy so far is a quintessential October read. I'm almost in more suspense over Maberry pulling this off in a satisfying way than I am in suspense over the story itself. It's been an awesome ride so far. I'll be reviewing th ...more
Anthony
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can easily give this story Five stars! Not only was this book itself a compelling read, but the series of Pine Deep is just brilliant! I've got one more to go -- Bad Moon Rising. I'm not going to read it just yet. It's only October 9, and I'm trying to stay parallel with the time frame in the book. Besides, I don't want to end this trilogy quite yet. I want to savor it as long as I can, at least until Halloween. Then I will be sad it's all over...
Victoria
Yeeks! Another exciting book! I enjoyed this sequel more than the first book in the Pine Deep series - by quite a bit, actually. It had a much faster pace, and though more of the background story was filled in, there weren't nearly as many redundancies in this one that slowed down the first novel. I can't wait to read the conclusion to this trilogy! What an exciting series!
Debra
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
2nd book in a trilogy. This one had me even more hooked than the first book. It's was very creepy in places! The good guys sure look like they up to an impossible task; evil is growing and the future looks very grim! Note: typos galore that really mess with the flow.

Amy
May 27, 2012 added it
Bored with it. Did not even finish the book.
Shorty
Audiobook narrated by Tom Weiner.
Jean
Whoa. What is a solid three-to-four star book starts to kick it up at the halfway mark and then hits hyperdrive in the explosive last act. I read the first book for Halloween last year, and while I enjoyed it a lot, it wasn't a series that I felt that I HAD to return to immediately. I happened to catch a copy of the second book during a sale on BootOulet, and sort of casually picked it up, and while I liked the first half of the book, though that it was slow, that perhaps was a little too much b ...more
Preston Stell
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a close call, but I liked this book a smidge less than the first one. I’m liking that the story is painfully warming up to the inevitable “all hell breaking loose” portion of the tale. The more I’m in Pine Deep, the more I’m loving this creepy little town that some magazine calls the “most haunted town in America.” This is seriously such a great concept for a series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Gathering of Crows
  • Liar Liar
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • The Grief Frequency
  • Nailed by the Heart
  • Dweller
  • Crimson
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • Covenant
  • Bad Blood (Tomes of The Dead #1.5)
  • Usher's Passing
  • Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1)
  • Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter (Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter Book 1)
  • In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1)
  • Ravenous
  • The Halloween Man
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Snow
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

Pine Deep (3 books)
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep, #3)
“Newton screamed when he felt them begin to crawl over his scrotum and try to wiggle between his buttocks” 3 likes
“Sing it like the midnight wind, Sing it like a prayer; Sing it on to the way to hell, Them blues’ll take you there. —Oren Morse, Dead Man’s Song” 0 likes