Start by marking “The Demon: An eShort Story” as Want to Read:
The Demon: An eShort Story

The Demon: An eShort Story (Something Red #2.5)

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mixing history, fantasy, and legend, The Demon is an exclusive e-short story from acclaimed novelist Douglas Nicholas, perfect for fans of Game of Thrones.

In England’s wild North Country, the men of Blanchefontaine, led by the castellan Sir Balthasar, must hunt an unearthly creature that stalks the nearby woods. But all is not as it seems…
Published March 18th 2014 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about The Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon

David Cain
Apr 11, 2014 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was an entertaining short story set in medieval England. I was initially put off by the flowery language but things settled down after the first several pages. The author does a fine job of creating interesting characters and a suspenseful plot. This is basically just a teaser to generate interest for Nicholas' latest book, but a fine diversion regardless.
Jeszii
Apr 22, 2014 Jeszii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good short story. Perfect for reading before going to sleep. Also cool that the first chapter of The Wicked was in there. But since I'm really keen to read The Wicked, it did not really help much with the promise I made myself not buying any new books until I have finished the couple I still have. Anyhow, if you have not read this yet...GO GO GO.
Dakeyras
Mar 26, 2014 Dakeyras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this short story. The premise really is just knights setting out to vanquish a demon in a forest. Naturally things aren't quite what they appear and people are left to decide who/what is really a demon.

Could've been a little longer to develop the characters but since only a few share the limelight, it's not that big of a deal.
Jason Kivela
This was a great period piece, in the same vein as the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf. Great setting and characters, even with the short length I felt I got to know some of them.
Michael S.
love this guy's writing style. He doesn't tell; he shows. and such a great sub-genre: historical fantasy
Chris Branch
A brief return to the historical world of Something Red, and again, Nicholas demonstrates a command of his unique setting. The language is elegant and atmospheric, and the story is intriguing though short. This was available free from Amazon for Kindle, and I was glad to be able to read this in advance of The Wicked.
Becky
Dec 21, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
The knights of Castle Blanchefontaine have been tasked with a possibly deadly mission: a merchant passing through the area reported that he and his guards were set upon by a great demon and his minions. They ran, leaving behind their wagon, and sought shelter at Blanchefontaine. Now, the castellan and his man must confront this evil head on if their lands are ever to be safe again.

"The Demon" is fun. It doesn't add much to the series as a whole, but it is a nice bonus. Plus, it's free and inclu
Vikas Datta
Interesting enough - specially that cavalry charge bit..
Marko-Michael
Very short, but interesting.

The excerpt from "The Wicked" which followed the short story, even though it appeared to have some of the same characters, was a G I A N T snore. I will not be reading that.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Ramoths Own
Ramoths Own marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Clinton
Clinton marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Leslie Bihari
Leslie Bihari marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tracey
Tracey added it
Jul 09, 2016
Stinne Larsen
Stinne Larsen rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
M.V. Gaius
M.V. Gaius marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Nicole Ashley Gordon
Nicole Ashley Gordon marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
David Nelson
David Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Josiah Whitesell
Josiah Whitesell marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Myrl Akeva Koevum
Myrl Akeva Koevum rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
♥Juvia♥
♥Juvia♥ marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Douglas Nicholas is an award-winning poet whose work has appeared in numerous publications, among them Atlanta Review, Southern Poetry Review, Sonora Review, Circumference, A Different Drummer, and Cumberland Review, as well as the South Coast Poetry Journal, where he won a prize in that publication's Fifth Annual Poetry Contest.

Other awards include Honorable Mention in the Robinson Jeffers Tor Ho
More about Douglas Nicholas...

Something Red (3 books)
  • Something Red (Something Red, #1)
  • The Wicked (Something Red, #2)
  • Throne of Darkness (Something Red, #3)