Start by marking “A Nest Is Noisy: (Nature Books for Kids, Children's Books Ages 3-5, Award Winning Children's Books)” as Want to Read:

From the award-winning creators of An Egg Is Quiet, A Seed Is Sleepy, A Butterfly Is Patient, and A Rock Is Lively comes this gorgeous and informative look at the fascinating world of nests. From tiny bee hummingbird nests to orangutan nests high in the rainforest canopy, an incredible variety of nests are showcased here in all their splendor. Poetic in voice and elegant ...more
Published April 14th 2015 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Nest Is Noisy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nest Is Noisy

Start your review of A Nest Is Noisy: (Nature Books for Kids, Children's Books Ages 3-5, Award Winning Children's Books)
Lisa Vegan
I think I’ve now read all the books (to date) in this series. They are An Egg Is Quiet and A Seed Is Sleepy and A Rock Is Lively and A Butterfly Is Patient. I gave them all 5 stars. I liked A Beetle Is Shy a bit less but I still gave it 4 stars.

This one was a 5 star book for me. It follows the format of the other books. There are gorgeous pictures that can be enjoyed by all ages. There is a poem that runs the length of the book, and while there is advanced vocabulary I think it can be enjoyed
Sandra
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Did you know cave swiflets make their nests using only their saliva?
And that lampreys make their nest underwater using pebbles as tiny as an almond and as big as a golf ball? And that they carry the pebbles in their mouths?
Did you ever heard of a nest as big as 36 x 16 feet?
And what about the temperature of the nest determining the sex of the baby alligators?
This book is a perfect combination of science, animals and lovely illustrations. And when I say lovely, I mean it!

Age range: 6 to 12 years
Hilary
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: natural-world
Beautiful book, really interesting facts and lovely illustrations. Ideal for children who are interested in the natural world.
KC
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This continuing series is absolutely delightful.
Joanna Norland
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A poetic, lovingly illustrated picture book that is full of fascinating information sure to be new to adult and young readers, alike.

Who knew that army ants form 'living nests' to protect their eggs, or that orangutans braid beds of branches up in the rainforest canopy? The detailed pictures and text will reward multiple re-readings. I especially appreciate Dianna Hutts Aston's sophisticated (but never verbose) writing, as there is plenty of new vocabulary to discuss with young readers.

The
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why I liked this book- This is a great book for this time of year! First off the illustrations are something you could look at for hours. They are so detailed and informative. I really like that the book doesn’t focus on bird’s nests (which is what I thought it was going to be) but has ALL kinds of nests. Bees, alligators, platypus and more! The book is educational and entertaining. I can see teachers and parents using this book to talk about ecosystems and biodiversity.
*NOTE* I got a free copy
La Coccinelle
This is an interesting book about animal nests. It actually reminds me somewhat of We Build Our Homes , although it has less text and information, so it could perhaps be more suitable for younger audiences.

The labelled illustrations are lovely and clearly show the creatures in their unique nests. Everything from fish to birds to primates is covered here. For what it is, it's a decent little picture book... although, having previously read We Build Our Homes, I was left feeling like I wanted a
Kathryn
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A nest is noisy. It is a nursery of chirp-chirping...buzzing...squeaking...peep-peeping...bubbling...babies. I loved it.
Melki
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular illustrations highlight this look at nests - from wasps to prairie dogs to alligators.

I particularly liked the birds' nests.

description

From the smallest - a golf ball-sized bee hummingbird's nest - to the largest - the 36-foot mound built by the dusky scrubfowl.

description

My favorite was the close-up of a nest containing shoelaces, gum wrappers and a snake's skin. It reminds me of the one I found in the yard last year that was lined with my dog's shed fur. Those baby birds were swaddled in luxurious
Lauren Waters
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never knew one of the largest nests belongs to the dusky scrubfowl and can measure more than 36 feet. This book is filled with many facts that may go unnoticed and unknown. I learned more about how different animals create safe nests for their young.
Sunah Chung
The book, A Nest Is Noisy, illustrates diverse nests in nature and its owners who lay eggs. The first thought in my mind when I looked at the book cover was that the book portrayed birds’ nests since birds lay eggs. That is, my mind set was limited to the birds because they lay eggs and need to build nests. However, this book tells readers that some mammals also lay eggs, and they also construct nests as a place for eggs to hatch. Detailed descriptions of each animal also provide rich ...more
Julia
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one series that had my attention caught since of its descriptive title. Each book's title within the series gives the reader a chance to know what is being explored within the pages of the actual book while also providing the format of the book's writing, which is the "is ...".

Furthermore each book in the series can also be read in two different formats thus allowing the reading audience to be broadened out. If you have very young readers or those who cannot sit still long enough for a
Thabata
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can hardly describe what a joy ran through my veins as soon as I opened this book. It is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous to look at! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. The colors are rich, the variety of shapes and forms and lines, the composition and the manner with which everything is put is tremendous! Apart from its undeniable visual beauty, this is a great read. It explores nature in an honest and simple manner, poetic but still very much informative. For everyone who loves nature ...more
Lydia
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A single word or simple sentence per page describes a nest, surrounded by pictures of nests that exemplify that trait, usually with another paragraph or two about each individual nest and the type of animal or bug that builds it.

This is a great nature-lovers book, as it doesn't confine itself to birds (alligators, various bugs, platypus, several fish, turtles and prairie dogs are also featured), the artwork is splendid and the facts are fun. Each animal's nest is labeled and there are drawings

Alice
It's really hard to not to rave about the Aston-Long partnership, of which this book is just one artifact. This book, and the whole series, will surely become a staple in early childhood and primary rooms across the world? The book is a delight and should be read purely for the love of high-quality children's literature that combines text and illustrations into a seamless whole.

For teachers, the opportunities to extend the text are countless: building, construction, science, weather, seasons,
winda
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nest is noisy...
Buzzing,
swishing,
flapping,
and humming with babies...
but only until they are ready to fly, swim, or crawl away
Then the nest is quite..

Miss my nest sooooo much! I wonder how quite my nest now =(

I love this book, the children can learn different types of nest and how the animals live differently. It's amazing to learn from animals how built their comfy and safe home. Also the illustration is wonderful
Can't hardly wait to read other series of these books
Sandy Brehl
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another astonishingly informative and breathtaking books in a series that every family, classroom, and child should know. The illustrations are both scientifically detailed and accurately labeled, but also aesthetically delightful and provoke curiosity and awe.
Thee are no limits here on species or location, spanning many biomes, wide expanses of geography, and also relationships between family members and among animal groups.
Robin
I love children's books where the adult can learn something along with the child. This series does not disappoint. In addition to the interesting text, it is full of beautiful and detailed illustrations that will captivate and educate readers in a visual way. Great as a picture book for young children or as an early elementary NF resource.
Niquilla Blodgett
This is a great informal non-fiction book with lots of pictures about animals that children from primary to mid- elementary grade levels may enjoy. It introduces many different species of animals that make a nest for their young, where they are made, what they are made of, and what conditions they are kept in.
Julie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nests do not just belong to birds, and this poetic celebration of nests does justice to the topic, including such unusual and interesting nest-users as platypus, ant, sea turtle, lamprey, frog, orangutan and alligator. Interesting facts are delivered in the most beautiful prose (but I did spot one typo!), and illustrations are lovely. Sure to keep any nature-loving youngster spellbound.
Kolbe Bales
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations add depth and interest. Children can spend a great deal of time studying them for hidden details. They’ll enjoy a game of “I Spy” if they are challenged to look for tiny details. Readers will see the many commonalities as well as differences in how various animals prepare for parenthood.
Genevieve
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative text that the kids found very interesting and from which we all learned some. It’s the beautiful illustrations that really captures our attention, though, and the entire series now makes for a lovely display on our nature desk.
Peacegal
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful celebration of, and introduction to, the incredible life that's going on all around us. Adults and children will learn something and will gain a deeper appreciation of how many different types of animals nurture and protect the next generation.
emyrose8
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-buy
This book is AWESOME. I love that there are more animals besides birds included in this collection of nests. The end papers are neat; the beginning is the nests, the end is the babies that come out of the nest.
Jo Oehrlein
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Best for mid-elementary and up.

There's an overarching simple "story" through the book, but be aware that it's written in cursive. The fun is in the details (which are printed) about all the animals (including many non-birds) that have nests and what those nests are like.
Adrith Bicchieri
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is filled with gorgeous art in the style of botanical drawings and lots of great information for curious young minds about different kinds of nests.

The content is a little bit wordy for storytime purposes, but I would love to share this book with a child in a one-on-one setting.
Ellen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book!
Kathy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this series of books! They have lyrical language, beautiful illustrations, and interesting facts.
Melissa McAlvey
I liked this one more than the girls, but I think they will enjoy them more in a few years.
Jessie
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Talks about lots of different kinds of nests and includes really detailed illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Leaf Can Be...
  • Jack's Garden
  • The Tiny Seed
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Welcome Home, Bear: A Book of Animal Habitats
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Mama Built a Little Nest
Dianna Hutts Aston was born in Houston, Texas, attended the University of Houston, and worked as a journalist for several years. LOONY LITTLE is her first picture book with Candlewick Press. She says, "It was one of the hottest summer days on record. My mind, of its own accord, kept wandering northward, to a wilderness of snow and ice, the Arctic. While listening to the news one evening, I heard ...more