Start by marking “Six-Dinner Sid” as Want to Read:
Six-Dinner Sid

Six-Dinner Sid (Six Dinner Sid #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  931 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Sid the cat plays the pet of six different owners on Aristotle Street so that he can get six dinners every night.
Published May 1st 1991 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Dinner Sid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six-Dinner Sid

Lisa Vegan
4 stars – star off for calling Sid’s people his owners. I hate that term as it relates to dogs, cats, and all animals.

But this is a wonderful book. It complately charmed me.

The illustrations are fabulous. I love each painting. I love the colors, style, expressiveness, especially of Sid. I love the page with the 6 different places to be scratched.

The author definitely knows cats. I think all cat lovers will enjoy this book.

I really enjoyed the story of wily Sid. I love the street names Aristot
Kacy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK AS A KID. I think about it often, especially when I see stray cats running around. I just found it the other day and still love it.
Ami
Feb 21, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A cat named Sid fools six neighbors on one street into thinking that he is their cat, in order to get six dinners. And when he gets a cough, he's taken six times to the vet, who realizes that Sid is only one cat, and tells all of his "owners". They get mad, so Sid moves to a different street, where everyone knows his game, and the last line of the book reads, "...and because everyone knew, nobody minded". I wonder if the author is polyamorous...?

I didn't care for it because I worried that some k
Tracey Young
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply the sweetest and funniest little story. This book is about a cat called Sid who has six different owners, therefore he has six dinners each day. None if his owners know about each other until one day they find out. The book has delightful illustrations of Sid's many comic facial expressions. There is a nice little twist at the end has the right blend of cheekiness and morality to appeal to us all. Very clever use of street names where Sid lived, it will be many years before the children a ...more
Mairead Flannery
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pgce
This is a lovely story about a cat named Sid who loved his dinners. Every day he didn’t only have one dinner, he had six! He didn’t get his dinners from just one owner; no Sid had six owners who feed him dinner dinners every day. Sid was the only one that knew. His owners all thought they were his only owner. Then one day this would all change. What is going to happen to Sid? Will he still get his six dinners?

I like this story because it is able to keep the children attention throughout. The chi
Plch
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm reading it every night to my 4 years old son, he has started to anticipate what I'm going to say, he especially likes to list what Sid will eat and want me to scracth him like Sid's owners scratch the cat :)
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most lovely book I could imagine, teaching children that loving doesn't mean you own someone.
Lance
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sid lived in six houses so that he could have six dinners."

Six Dinner Sid was my favourite picture book when I was a child. The author has definitely captured the fundamanetal nature of the cat, unapologetically cheeky, Sid loves affection but he is ultimately out forn himself and his stomach.
A black cat called Sid has hoodwinked six separate residents in a street where no one talks to their neighbours into feeding him as they all believe he belongs to them alone. "And, besides, he liked being
Emelda
Aw, this book was so cute! I just got it on Amazon after reading that it might be a good book for polyamorous families to read to their kids and discuss (and, after reading this, I’d say any family that has more than two parents- step parents, birth parents, etc.)

It’s an adorable picture book about a black cat (also, LOVE! Black cats- and all black animals- are killed at higher rates in shelters, so yay for books starring them!) whose name is Sid. He “scams” 6 different families into giving him
Braiden Boswell
Book Review of: Six-Dinner Sid
The book is about Sid the cat. Sid the cat is a cat that lives at six different houses.
He likes to live at six houses because he gets six different dinners. And he had to go to the vet not once,but six times.

The book Six-Dinner Sid is a good book for Third grade and under. This book was not one that I would read again. I would give it a two out of five.
  • The Good Luck Cat
  • Two of Everything
  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story
  • The Church Mouse
  • Slinky Malinki
Inga Moore is a distinguished author and illustrator of children’s books whose illustrated titles include acclaimed versions of THE SECRET GARDEN and THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS. She lives in England.
More about Inga Moore...