Start by marking “A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa, #5)

A Murder on the Appian Way (Roma Sub Rosa #5)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,804 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
In a Rome torn by riots and pulled apart by rival factions, Gordianus the Finder must uncover the truth about the murder of Publius Clodius, a populist politician whose assassination threatens to destroy the Republic. The fifth in the highly praised "Roma sub Rosa" series set in ancient Rome.
Published May 1st 1996 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder on the Appian Way, please sign up.

Mark Probably so, but you will miss a lot of information on Gordianus and how he acquired his family and servants. I recommend reading this from book 1 on.

Jamie Collins
These books become even more fascinating as the time line approaches the period of Roman period of history I'm most familiar with. This is a fine mystery, without too much of Cicero's rhetoric to bog down the action, and I admit to experiencing a small thrill when Gordianus first encounters Mark Antony.

If you're annoyed when a novelist contrives for his protagonist to interact with famous historical figures then this series isn't for you. In this book alone Gordianus meets with Caesar, Pompey, M
Inês Beato
Mais uma grande aventura de Gordiano, o Descobridor! Steven Saylor transportou-me novamente para a Roma Antiga e apresentou mais caso repleto de mistério e personagens cativantes. Neste até Pompeu e Júlio César são chamados “ao barulho”. Foi igualmente interessante assistir à queda de Cícero e os seus malfadados discursos.
Optei por ler este volume da série na versão original em inglês e devo dizer que todos os que optei por este caminho foram sempre mais interessantes do que aqueles em que esco
Susanne
Saylor kennt sich gut aus im antiken Rom und er kennt seinen Stoff. Seine lebendige Darstellung des römischen Alltags und der römischen Politik bringen mich dazu, immer wieder zum nächsten Band zu greifen! Die Geschichte um Clodius' Ermordung und Milos' Prozess in diesem 5. Band der Reihe erhält eine interessante neue Wendung, die bekannten und liebenswerten Protagonisten entwickeln sich glaubwürdig weiter. Aber der Stil ist unbeholfen. Ausufernde Erklärungen, Dialoge und Reden machen den Krimi ...more
Ashling
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Viva Gordiano!
Bruce
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans and Romaphiles
Hey, a Saylor book I liked, how about that? In this one, fictional detective Gordianus gets mixed up in uncovering the details behind populist demagogue Publius Clodius' murder in 52 BC (the "year of no consuls"). As I understand it, there are those who see the murder as the Republic's Rubicon, the beginning of a story whose midpoint comes with Julius Caesar's assassination, crests at the Battle of Actium, and is completed when Augustus takes power. In this context, events follow inevitably from ...more
Tita
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2015
Classificação: 4,5 Estrelas

Uma vez mais, gostei de voltar à Roma Antiga e rever Gordiano e todas as outras personagens que o rodeiam.
Desta vez temos o assassinato de Públio Clódio que ocorreu, nada mais nada menos, na Via Ápia. Milo, o rival de Públio, é apontado como suspeito. Assim, Gordiano acaba por ser contactado por diversas personalidades, entre as quais, Pompeu, para investigar o verdadeiro culpado.
Até ao momento, este livro foi um dos meus preferidos. Gostei bastante como Saylor equili
Ensiform
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When politician and friend of the people Publius Clodius is murdered on the Appian Way, his enemy Titus Milo is accused. While Cicero goes to Milo’s defense, Gordianus and Eco are hired by Pompey to look into the matter, even as the streets of Rome descend into anarchy, rival gangs clashing by night and the Senate House burned to the ground.

This book may be the best yet in the Rome Sub Rosa series. Gordianus, obsessed with the truth and with protecting his family, is a fine, all too human charac
MaryBeth
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very exciting addition to the series. Marc Anthony is moving in and Cicero is being pushed out of the Roman spotlight. There was even mention of a young Cleopatra. I can't wait to read the next book.
Alex
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't stop reading these books. They're like crack.
Kyo
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-classics
Yaaassh! Really liked this one; loved the politics and the mystery and it was just great :D!
Kathy Davie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, history
Fifth in the Roma Sub Rosa historical mystery series set in ancient Rome and revolving around Gordianus the Finder, senior.

My Take
I definitely should not have read John Maddox Roberts' King's Gambit , I when I started this series. It's got me all confused with the different Milos! I kept expecting Saylor's Milo to be the same person as Roberts', which is silly, but, well, there ya go…

The drama swirls around power. Wanting it, having it, getting it back. Gaining power over another. But the under
Andrew Bennett
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm very impressed with this whole series, but I feel this is the best one yet. I don't know if its because we're getting deeper into the most exciting time of human history, or if the characters are just growing on me that much.

The Roman history from this period reads like a novel anyway, add Saylor's masterful touch a making it a detective novel with a well-crafted cast and you have a great book

Would it get a 5 if I hadn't read the other 4 up to this point? Probably not, but everyone should b
Lsnook
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saylor's extensive research into Ancient Rome is obvious, if a little unsophisticated in it's presentation at times. That said, 'A Murder on the Appian Way' presents an engaging version of events. I would definitely recommend this to anyone studying the 'Pro Milone'.
Sue Law
Another solid Gordianus the finder mystery. Saylor's writing is good, but constrained by his practice of setting his character in the forefront of historical events investigating real happenings.
Cyd
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent as usual. Very enjoyable ancient-Roman brain candy.
Twayne Tur
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great
Matt
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History addicts
I was enjoying this book far more than I wanted to, given the fact that ultimately it was a murder mystery that failed to satisfy in any fashion. Fortunately, the story let go of me before I got to the end.

The reason I was enjoying this book so much is that I'm a sucker for history, and even such well picked over carrion as the final days of the Roman Republic managed to be pretty gripping and interesting for me in the author's hand.

But at the same time, one of my pet peeves in historical fictio
Ted
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great glimpse into living in Roman times.
Gretchen
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient-rome
Four and a half stars. Goodreads if you need help deciding on a New Year's resolution, might I suggest a half star option? I'm not sure if I've brought up my desire for a half star rating lately. Anyway.......

Previously I had said The Venus Throw was my favorite novel featuring Gordianus the Finder and crew. I only said that because I had not yet read A Murder on the Appian Way. As Rome is barreling toward the most critical point in the history of the Empire, Saylor does a magnificent job emergi
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steven Saylor is on my list of authors to purchase whenever he publishes a new novel. My husband and I first discovered him through the short stories he published in Ellery Queen and hurried to buy his first novel, Roman Blood when it was first published. We have rarely been disappointed in any of Saylor's offerings.

This novel, Murder on the Appian Way combines the best aspects of Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series. His "detective"--Gordianus the Finder--is a Roman citizen who has worked for many of
Neil
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with so much detail that you are transported back into Rome at the time of Pompey, Cicero, Milo etc. Really well written and with the characters continuing to grow this makes for excellent reading. I'm glad I'm following the stories in sequence as you see how he thinks and the way his family evolve around him and it makes for a brilliant series.
Bettie☯
Timons Esaias
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am way behind on reading all of the mystery series that I try to "keep up with." Witness that I've been buying the Gordianus the Finder stories and putting them on my unread shelf; yet I am getting to this one twenty years after publication. Sigh.

This volume nicely continues the series, and was engaging, interesting, and distracting ... all the things I read mysteries for. It also took me to different time and place, which seems to be another element I look for.

If you don't know, Gordianus liv
Lianne
This is the 5th in the Saylor series featuring Gordianus the Finder. In each novel Saylor showcases one or two aspects of Roman politics, life and society through the plot. "Murder on the Appian Way" Saylor explores the end of the republican period when there is a struggle for power and control both of the aristocratic old families, who dominate the tribunes and senate as well as the rising power of demagogues who control the streets . Publius Clodius, whose roots are patrician has become the ch ...more
David
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, love this author. It's not for everyone as not a lot happens but it's gentle pace is half the reason to love it. The tale makes you believe that yo are in Rome (or further afield). Steven Saylor's depth of knowledge is incredible and the small detail really works, like the time Gordianus is leaving Rome and one of the aqueducts has a leak and water drips down his neck. Such a trivial thing but it tells you loads about Rome, the importance of the aqueducts, the slight imperfections on an oth ...more
John Carter McKnight
Two prominent politicians with their entourages meet on the road to Rome. One ends up dead. His supporters riot, burning the Senate House to the ground and causing the suspension of elections. What happened on the Appian Way?

As with most of the Roma Sub Rosa books, Saylor uses an actual Roman courtroom trial as the climax of a narrative. Here he takes on an unsolved mystery sometimes called "the murder of Archduke Ferdinand of the fall of the Roman Republic." Populist firebrand Clodius died on t
Denise
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(cliche alert) Steven Saylor makes the past come alive. In every sense of the word. All his historical fiction about the Roman Empire that I've read so far is incredibly rich in details concerning the day to day life of all but especially the upper classes, as well as the everchanging political climate. While in some author's hands this might make for heavy reading, Saylor has a light touch and a gift for fully engaging the reader.

Murder on the Appian Way concerns the killing of a high-ranking
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like John Maddox Roberts, Steven Saylor often takes real mysteries or murders from Roman history and adds his own twists. The death of Clodius Pulcher takes center stage in this murder mystery, as Gordianus the Finder is hired by both Fulvia (wife of Clodius) and Pompey the Great to find out what exactly happened. This is definitely more of a political thriller rather than a traditional murder mystery - but there are several mysteries (both great and small) that Saylor explores. Who murdered Clo ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third Gordianus the Finder mystery I've listened to on CD, and I like Saylor's combination of good writing, good storytelling, and fairly accurate Roman history. The center historic event of this book was the murder of Clodius (Claudius) by Milo on the Appian way, a real event. Milo's defense by the Roman orator Cicero is still extant, and Saylor used it in constructing his novel. In the previous novel, Roman Blood, I was introduced to Cicero as a young, idealistic lawyer and ad ...more
Rena Sherwood
You don't have to read the previous books in the Roma Sub Rosa series in order to understand what is going on in this murder mystery set in the final years of the Roman Republic. However, you do need to bone up on the Roman Republic before cracking this open.

description

As a murder mystery, this is probably Saylor's best (or, at least, the best of the half-dozen or so Saylors that I have read.)

However, Saylor is a simplistic writer. If you're a fan of George RR Martin, James Michener or even CJ Box, then
Historical Fictio...: Saylor's "A Murder on the Appian Way" 6 35 Nov 24, 2012 03:01PM
  • SPQR XI: Under Vesuvius (SPQR, #11)
  • Scandal Takes a Holiday (Marcus Didius Falco, #16)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
Steven Saylor is the author of the long running Roma Sub Rosa series featuring Gordianus the Finder, as well as the New York Times bestselling novel, Roma and its follow-up, Empire. He has appeared as an on-air expert on Roman history and life on The History Channel.

Saylor was born in Texas and graduated with high honors from The University of Texas at Austin, where he studied history and class
More about Steven Saylor...

Roma Sub Rosa (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa, #1)
  • Arms of Nemesis (Roma Sub Rosa, #2)
  • Catilina's Riddle (Roma Sub Rosa, #3)
  • The Venus Throw (Roma Sub Rosa, #4)
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • Rubicon (Roma Sub Rosa, #7)
  • Last Seen in Massilia (Roma Sub Rosa, #8)
  • A Mist of Prophecies (Roma Sub Rosa, #9)
  • The Judgment of Caesar (Roma Sub Rosa, #10)
  • A Gladiator Dies Only Once (Roma Sub Rosa, #11)