Start by marking “Batgirl, Vol. 5: Deadline” as Want to Read:
Batgirl, Vol. 5: Deadline

Batgirl, Vol. 5: Deadline

(Batgirl (2011) #5)

Superstar writer Gail Simone continues the New York Times bestselling Batgirl series!
It's a hazardous reunion between Batgirl and the former Court of Owls assassin Strix as they face off against the lethal new threat known as Silver--the man who knows the secret of Gotham City's conspiracy of bats!

Collecting: Batgirl 27-34, Annual 2, Futures End
Published December 23rd 2014 by DC Comics (first published September 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Batgirl, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batgirl, Vol. 5

Jayson
(B) 73% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Intertextuality gone mad: it’s a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up book, bereft of context and cheap with insouciance.
Anne
Shallow Comics Sidekick Buddy Read!
description

Yeah, yeah. Batgirl is nobody's sidekick. But at some point, Batman helped her out with some skillz, right?
So.
SheCountsAsASidekickIfISaySheCountsAsASidekick!

While this is a solid addition to Batgirl, it wasn't my favorite. I hate to say it, but there's a bit of WhatTheFuckery going on in this volume.
Mainly, in the first and last issue.
Warning: Spoiler Alert!

The first issue is some sort of a (maybe?) dream sequence, that has Barbara, a random woman, and (perh
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

After a brilliant run, where each volume was as solid, as good, as cohesive as the last or better, we end Gail Simone's fantastic stint on this messy turd.

More Full Review:

The volume starts out with the hella weird issue Gothtopia, wherein Gotham is now a brilliant city of light (?), Joker runs an ice cream factory (?) and a now-white uniformed Batgirl's biggest problem is helping little old ladies across the street. That issue pretty much sets the stage for the rest of the uneven,
Shannon
I really like Batgirl. She's my second favorite from the Bat Fam (after Batman, of course.) Some things from this volume were not so great though. In the end Knightfall is felled by a ... photo of her family? That whole part of the story was super rushed.

I'm still trying to figure out where Huntress came from and how Batgirl managed to get all of the heroes (and some villains) to come out of the woodwork for her. I love Huntress but her appearance is super weird. "Oh hey, I was in the neighborh
Sesana
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I should probably dock a few more points for the Gothtopia story, which doesn't really make sense out of context. DC, this would have been a great time for a few paragraphs to summarize this Gotham-based event. I know I'm not the only person who reads Batgirl but not Detective Comics. I could also dock a few points for the weird boogeyman story, which is both kind of pointless and kind of not very good.

However, that doesn't keep the equally strange but much better vampire story from being much
Shannon
Female super heroes versus a lot of female villains. Some of the tales are good and others are off, especially the one at the very end with the weird artwork.

Beautiful artwork. Gail Simone hits the female personality well.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus.
Khurram
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not my favourite volume of Batgirl. I still think the series is very good and I really cannot understand why they would want to change direction with everything that they have built up so far. The reason I could not give this 5 stars is because there are a lot of little faults that were bugging me that just added up, to a star being dropped.

The first 3 stories were very disjointed in fact they might have been standalone stories or tie-ins, which is usually ok but for closing the final v
James DeSantis
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't connect with this one as much as the others. This is basically a bunch of one shots put together. There's some connections here and there but for the most part all broken into their own stories. That can be good though! Except when most feel little filler like or not that interesting. A story involving a happy version of gotham, ivy, vampires, and big black creatures that look like venom. None of them seem to click with me 100% and so I kind of drifted away from it.

What I liked: There'
Lexxi Kitty
This incoherent mess was annoying on almost every level. There were like five unrelated stories tacked together. And I kept seeing something like "three months ago". But I never saw anything like "present". So apparently we kept going back in time, by three month blocks. Yet the story arc itself kept moving forward. So what the bloody hell was up with that "three months ago" every other page? bah.

And then she has this mission that she can't accomplish by herself. So she scrambles to find people.
Kyle
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
Oh, Gail Simone, where will you take us next. Thank you for this darn fine run on Batgirl in which you gave us an interesting and diverse supporting cast and a tough as nails protagonist. I think the elements (read: DC Editorial Staff) were likely against you. But you persevered.

Loose ends tied up tight, introduction of new supernatural elements, and passing of the baton complete. Could have been a bit more of an event, but, decidedly it wasn't.

3.5/5
Batastrophe
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc, new52, batfam, read-2015
What a strange, strange little book.

After what I considered to be the stunning volume 4, this volume was kind of a mess. Gail Simone is a great writer and has quickly become one of my favorite writers, and she wrote a very clear story that built to an excellent climax in volume 4 and developed Barbara's character along a clear arc. And while this volume isn't necessarily bad, it doesn't gel as a unit, nor does it fit in very well with the rest of Simone's run on Batgirl.

It might be more accurat
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This really didn't work for me.

And that's rare for me to say about a Gail Simone book.

This is the finale for Gail's run of New 52 Batgirl and while I'm sorry to see it go, this was a really lackluster finish.

There was no discernible arc in this book. It was a collection of one shots with a final showdown between Babs and Knightfall. It seemed as if Gail wasn't sure she'd get the time to flesh out a new Big Bad and that sucks because I like the way she writes villains.

I enjoyed Mother Mercy a
Wing Kee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's over...thank you.

World: Art is same since the start of the series. Meh. The world building is okay, it's a culmination of what Simone started in issue one. From the characters to the little slice of Cherry Hill that she's created for Babs this was a solid consistent end for the world.

Story: Meh. Knightfall story was a poor man's Punisher story and was what it was. The stuff with the boyfriend and the family and the roommate was also rather forgettable. I like Simone's writing normally but
Ely
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, comics
3.5

Again this one was sort of meh. I feel that by the last two volumes, the storyline was kind of thrown out of the window. It jumped around too much for me. I still adore the first three volumes though.
Aaron
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
What a confusing mess of a finale this was. I've generally enjoyed the parts of this series that Gail Simone has felt in control of, but all the random sidetracks and crossovers over the course of the series frequently derailed it. Then we get to this, the Simone's final volume on the character, and all of those problems compound like crazy.

To begin with, this collection starts with a story in which Batgirl is living in some kind of utopian futuristic Gotham, where everything is all joy and smil
Jenny Clark
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc-comics
It kills me to give this a two but man...
There is a bit of good- The art for one, and the Knightfall plot resolution. The rest though... I suppose Birds of Prey ties in with a lot of this. And then, the whole thing with dick being dead... no explanation or anything, rather with like Damien's. The first story was good in its way, but then reality breaks through and there is no explanation for what happened to make things how they were... And the futures end story was alright, but poorly illustrat
Kelsey
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, I think.

I enjoyed the Silver mini-arc. Brought a lot of fun. I texted a couple of my friends the panel where the cop says his brother moved to Detroit. For the quiet.

The Annual was an excellent one-shot, great little cameo from Ivy.

Marguerite Bennett also wrote a nice little one-shot. I wasn't sure if I was "feeling it," i.e., more than mediocre, but the last page? Way to sell it.

Ragdoll was fun as usual. He better be in the upcoming Secret Six. I'mma make with the punches if he's not
Amber
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, coolest story ever - minus the epilogue work. That kind of build-up was perfection, though I wish Simone had the free-reign to go on and on and tell a more fleshed out version. I can't get enough of Barbara Gordon. I wish we could have more Gail Simone Batgirl, because that anime looking follow-up don't cut it.

I think a lot of people are put out that there's holes to the story, like where you need every DC title tie-in to see exactly what went down. I'm willing to grant the story's
Jenna
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a very odd volume. I know there was an increasing number of metahuman characters in this New 52 Batgirl series, but it seems that every villain in this volume has a super(natural) power of some sort. It makes me want her to have an archnemesis who spouts riddles rather than acid from their hands.

The issue I actually liked was the one that focused on Poison Ivy, and even there, it felt like I was missing something from the Birds of Prey series, which I intend on reading. That bit actual
Blindzider
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This last volume is a slight letdown from the previous.

It starts with a single issue story with some type of alternate/dream world for Barbara. Just a one-shot with no real ramifications or information.

A two-parter with vampires, not bad, has a twist but again, feels like a filler.

A single issue filler, followed by a story that very loosely connects to the main story from issue 1.

Then, there is a multi-part arc that wraps up one villain's story/plot point from the earliest issues. It has some
Alex
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I really liked Gail Simone's Batgirl run overall, I thought this last entry was just okay. Any time Batgirl and Black Canary team up, badassery usually follows, so I liked those bits--also, when did Poison Ivy become one of the Birds of Prey? I thought Ivy's little arc was interesting, and I absolutely loved her character design.

There was something anti-climactic about the final confrontation with Knightfall and the Disgraced that I didn't like. Knightfall's crazy scheme of hiring mercenar
Nancy Meservier
Deadline is the fifth and final run in Gail Simone's run on Batgirl, containing several one shots and the final showdown with Knightfall. While some of the one shots didn't do it for me, the results were overall solid, which pretty much sums up my impression on Simone's run as a whole. Not the strongest of the new 52 comics, but certainly not the weakest. A comic that I was happy to pick up and read from my library, but wouldn't spend my own money on. And that's pretty much how I recommend both ...more
Adam Fisher
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This volume of Batgirl felt very disjointed. The first couple stories, even the one with Ivy and the ones with Silver, were mediocre at best. Only when you get to the actual Deadline storyline, does this volume even get good.
I'm not really sure where this team is planning on taking Batgirl, but I think I'll stick around for at least one more volume. I think more interaction with Batman would be a strong positive for this title, but that's up to them.
Recommend, but with slight reservation.
Cassie
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I found the conclusion of the Knightfall thread underwhelming and the rest of the volume comprised of standalone issues or out-of-context issues from crossover events. Gail Simone's writing is fine, but the overall story from volume to volume lacked some cohesion. The only other Bat Family book I read with regularity was Nightwing, which had a much clearer arc in comparison.
Sean Kennedy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Gail Simone was a fantastic Batgirl writer, but this final volume (when she was shafted by DC and dropped from the title) is a pitchy affair, hampered by tie-ins presented without context and resulting in an uneven storyline which can be too confusing for its own good.
Robert
May 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. lame villain and a few one shots do not a good collection make.
Ivy
Very good comic. Poor Barbara. Glad she was able to stop Knightfall.

Can't wait to the next Batgirl volume.

Would recommend for fans of Batman and Batgirl. Also, fans of superheroes.
Basma
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
This was very messy from the start that I had to stop reading as it got tedious to continue. I couldn’t find the connection with the previous volumes or how the new stories related to that or to one another and it just felt like it was all over the place. It didn’t really make sense to me and I found this to be a bad ending to the series.
Fizzgig76
Reprints Batgirl (3) #27-34, Annual #2, and Batgirl: Futures End #1 (March 2013-November 2014). After battling vampires and monsters under the floor, Batgirl finds herself in a greater battle to save her section of Gotham. Knightfall has a plan. Operation: Rebirth is going to destroy the criminal element in Gotham, but at the cost of innocent civilians. Batgirl must call upon her friends and allies if she hopes to stop Knightfall…but will it be enough?

Written by Gail Simone, Batgirl 5: Deadline
Chris Lemmerman
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gail Simone says goodbye to Batgirl and attempts to tie up all of her loose ends in a fairly successful if fractured final volume.

The first issue is a Gothtopia tie-in, but with no context it falls kind of flat when collected here. Just a quick one-sentence recap somewhere would have made this a more fun read, and especially since the story concludes elsewhere, having the next few issues completely ignore it makes this issue a bit of a waste of space.

Then we get a two part vampire story which br
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Batman: The Dark Knight, Volume 4: Clay
  • Supergirl, Vol. 4: Out of the Past
  • Catwoman, Vol. 4: Gotham Underground
  • Catwoman, Vol. 2: Dollhouse
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".

Batgirl (2011) (8 books)