Start by marking “Ecofeminist Philosophy: A Western Perspective on What It Is and Why It Matters” as Want to Read:
Ecofeminist Philosophy: A Western Perspective on What It Is and Why It Matters

Ecofeminist Philosophy: A Western Perspective on What It Is and Why It Matters

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
How are the unjustified dominations of women and other humans connected to the unjustified domination of animals and nonhuman nature? What are the characteristics of oppressive conceptual frameworks and systems of unjustified domination? How does an ecofeminist perspective help one understand issues of environmental and social justice? In this important new work, Karen J. ...more
Published October 11th 2000 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published October 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ecofeminist Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecofeminist Philosophy

Shelly Dee
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A clear introduction and survey of western ecofeminist philosophy. Warren at least attempts to be sensitive to intersectionality (though, often fails at it). The text would be a great read for an intro class in environmental ethics. Warren isn't my favorite ecofeminist writer or thinker, but this text is meticulously researched and clearly written.
Allison
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-crit
Very helpful for me, intelligent yet I don't have to be a rocket scientist to read the theory and understand it.
Rhonda Browning White
Jul 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is a text of conceptual issues on Western ecofemenist philosophy. It's largely opinion with a variety of perspectives, including the author's own version of ecofeminist philosophy. It touches upon environmental ethics, which I believe should have been addressed in more depth. The ongoing mention and discussion of "other human Others," a.k.a. women, which permeates the book, leaves me (as a woman), feeling sick. "Other human Others?" I found it demeaning and the opposite of what feminism and ...more
Stefanie
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
At first, I found this book so awful it infuriated me, but by the end of the book I appreciated the contribution it makes to ecofeminist philosophy--though I think the eco- part could have been stronger.
Bree
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
The most awful book I have ever read in my life. It basically made me hate ecofeminism. So glad I finished it.
Mark
Jul 25, 2011
Amy Simpson
Jun 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Karen J. Warren is an author, scholar, and former Professor and Chair of Philosophy at Macalester College.

Karen Warren received her B.A. in philosophy from the University of Minnesota (1970) and her Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in 1978. Before her long tenure at Macalester College, which began in 1985, Warren was Professor of Philosophy at St. Olaf College in the early 1980s.
More about Karen J. Warren...